Author Topic: support please  (Read 10870 times)

Dickie Eagle

support please
« on: March 28, 2004, 09:11:19 AM »
Good morning,lost another hours sleep. Where are you lot? come on it's not the spring holiday yet. Can we have a leetle more interesting communication from you lot,I'm certain you all have interesting lives and experiences as well as the ones on the way home from the dance night sessions Or just describe your bit of Downham and how it affected your life,be like Smiffy whose life is one long joke.  See ya ! Dickie ........

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
support please
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 01:03:27 PM »

Hi Dickie, Just a bit of my Autobioghraphy, saves me thinking to hard now.
" The Coalman also had a horse and cart, and would deliver two or three hundred weight of coal, in one hundred weight bags, carried on there shoulder and tipped into the cellar under the stairs, if Nan was busy she would say to me, count the bags they fetch in so they don't diddle me, not every body was honest, even in them days.
On Sunday's, we would all go down to the British Legion, Grandpa would play Dominos, or cards, and drink beer with his mates, Nan, Tony, and I, would sit in a little room off the side of the bar, called the Lady's Lounge, Nan would have a Stout, and Tony and I would have a soft drink called Velenta, similar to Kola, and a bag of Smiths Crisps, Grandpa would pop his head round the door to see if we wanted anything, between games. When we got home, Nan would serve up the dinner, that had been cooking while we were out, after dinner Nan would dish up the after's, usually custard and pudding, or rhubarb, then Grandpa would sit me on his lap, lay back in his big wooden armchair and have a pipe of tobacco, then fall asleep, smelling of beer and custard.
Lovely memories.
All the best from Keith ( K9 )
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

Bel

• View Profile
support please
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 09:56:23 PM »
:lol: Ah Keith what a lovely memory to hold onto.My Sundays usually started with me having to get up early so my mother could change the sheets on the bed (ready for washing on Monday). My Aunt and Uncle usually came over so we had a nice roast dinner and then a walk over to Bromley Gardens (with our best clothes on of course) and back to a tea with winkles and celery and afterwards the men played billiards. I have always had an adversion to parks ever since and put it down to having to walk around them in my best clothes bored stiff on these Sundays. Bel

DickieEagle

support please
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 10:14:48 AM »
Quote from: Bel
:lol: ready for washing on Monday. . I 'm bored stiff on Sundays. Bel
 cor, took 'em off on Sunday to wash Monday ? did you sleep in the park Sunday night ! no wonder you got bored stiff Pet. Monday wash was horrible too, all the windows open to let the steam out from the big copper in the bathroom ,steam everywhere. Thank goodness Glennifer Laundry came round with "Bagwash",then all it consisted of was dropping a blue "Dolly" dye in the bath,after which my chore was turn the big handle on the mangle  and make sure I didn't trap my Mothers fingers, Sometimes I would go up to the Tavern Tramstop and ask the returning passengers if they finished with their "All Day" ticket then go up the other end to see my relatives in bermondsey or catch East lane as it was closing.......     Plenty to do,and I might get a few pennies to treat my chums to the Splendid or the Bromley "Odeon"  (you could have come too Bel !)   Dickie X.................

Bel

• View Profile
support please
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 10:49:56 PM »
thanks for the offer Dickie. Bromley Odeon brought back a few memories. I worked there as an evening usherette in 1953 (to bring in a few pennies to pay the rent having two little boys at the time).The Lady Killers was showing and Peter Sellers was making an appearance and there was I having my photo taken with him . I still have the photo and when I learn how to scan it in will send it. Best wishes Bel

Anonymous

Re: support please
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 11:02:35 PM »
Quote from: Dickie Eagle
Good morning,lost another hours sleep. Where are you lot?
You've started another good discussion here Dickie.  Yes, where are all the present-day Downham folk? It would be nice to hear about their lives - and not just the complaints.  Surely, some people must be happy there.  All your memories are good to share.  Oh - that mangle!  No wonder our mothers had arms like navvies!  As for Bromley Gardens Bel, it was one of our Sunday treats.  I was fascinated by all the paths and bridges etc.  I took one last visit to it in 1974 just before we came out to Australia - it held just the same fascination for me.  Sunday clothes - doesn't that seem odd now?
As for news - Big news, we've just had some rain!  Whoopee!  It's ploughing time and seeding time now.  Although we have only 36 acres, we manage to make enough hay (not last year during the drought) to keep the cattle fed.  It's grey and cool and I'm enjoying it so much.  
Life goes along well here.  I've got a few hours work a week at present so I am keeping busy.
Brenda[/i]

Dickie Eagle

Re: support please
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 11:02:12 PM »
You've started another good discussion here Dickie.  Yes, where are all the present-day Downham folk? It would be nice to hear about their lives - and not just the complaints.  Surely, some people must be happy there.  All your memories are good to share.  As for news - Big news, we've just had some rain!  Whoopee!  .  It's cool and I'm enjoying it so much.  Life goes along well here.  I am keeping busy.Brenda
Mmmm hmmm! Sunday Dinner, Beef, Lamb,or roast pork with Cracklin'. Roast potatos, Sweetheart cabbage (no stalks) with a little butter (normally we could only afford margarine !),roast parsnips and Yorkshire pudding and I got a corner piece and Gravy, mostly oxo in greens water with thickening. To accompany Dinner was the dire warning,I can still hear my Mothers voice saying "Dinner is at Two, no here,no dinner " We never missed it !. Dickie........

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
support please
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 01:29:38 PM »

HI Dickie I could pratically smell that Sunday dinner mate, my Daughter brings me dinners every week, and I only have to zap them in the microwave, saves me time preparing my meals, it takes longer to cut, cook and serve the two dogs thier dinner and wash up after them, so it's good to be able to pop a prepared meal in the microwave, most evenings.
The other weekend my Daughter and Son-in-law brought the ingredients round and baked a beutiful roast dinner so that I could smell it cooking and all sit up to the table and have a lovley meal together.
My Daughter has allways been a good cook, lernt it from her Mum.
but neether Mum or Daughter could make the Yorkshire Pudding like my Grandmother used too when we were kids.
Trust you to get the corner peice Dickie, I bet you even got to lick out the custard bowl.
All the best mate from Keith.
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

Anonymous

support please
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 11:24:24 PM »
but neether Mum or Daughter could make the Yorkshire Pudding like my Grandmother used too when we were kids.
All the best mate from Keith.[/b][/quote]

Neither can I Keith.  I'm not a bad cook, in fact, I'm told I'm a good cook.
But I cannot make a decent Yorkshire pudding.  My mother's Yorkshires rose to the ceiling and as she cooked them in the beef fat, the underside had that wonderful meaty residue on it.  Oh my goodness, what a taste treat it was.  Oh yes, I make my own pasta, make my own curry powder and do all sorts of things like that but I can't cook a Yorkshire.  Hopeless with fried eggs too!
Brenda[/i]

Dickie Eagle

support please
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 08:37:05 AM »
Quote from: Bel
thanks for the offer Dickie. Bromley Odeon ? Bel(quote)       Right ,in the Back seats? we can go back later to see what the film was about. Incidently are you related to Ted Edwards !
Dickie.........

Anonymous

support please
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 11:28:13 AM »
:lol: How could I refuse that offer Dickie! By the way my Dad was in the |Royal West Kents in the first World War and went to India when he was 18. His name was Bob but was called Eddy and was on the 54 trams for over 20 years.  Do you remember the inspector at Grove Park a big man with a walrus mostache (he lived near us and used to put the fear of God in me). My grandfather was also on the horse trams.  We used to wait until my dad's tram came along as he never took our fares, and I think one of hes proudest possessions was his free pass (I still have the last one issued to him). Dont know of any relatives called Teddy (but my dad did have a bike!) Happy Easter to you all....BEL

Dickie Eagle

support please
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 04:03:57 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
:lol: How could I refuse that offer Dickie! By the way my Dad was in the |Royal West Kents in the first World War and went to India when he was 18. His name was Bob but was called Eddy and was on the 54 trams for over 20 years.  Do you remember the inspector at Grove Park a big man with a walrus mostache . Dont know of any relatives called Teddy (but my dad did have a bike!) Happy Easter to you all....BEL
:wink: nice thoughts,naughty but nice Bel. I belonged to the New Cross Tramways swimming club,my chum Sid Adams (corner house Capstone/Durham Hill, near Joe Gorins ) his Dad was a Tram Driver too. The only Inspector I knew was Mr Bell in Camlan. he used to let his son & I go up to the Tavern Tram stop and take the times and coach numbers of the Trams (Crafty ?)also the ones that turned round at Northover ! My uncle was the Power station engineer in the generator house behind the shops in Bromley Rd., I may pop over this week and have a mosey around or lunch in the Tavern ,take a few pics for the Gallery, 'bye for now, be good     Dickie.................. X

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
support please
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 09:16:22 AM »
All the best mate from Keith.[/b]

Neither can I Keith.  I'm not a bad cook, in fact, I'm told I'm a good cook.
But I cannot make a decent Yorkshire pudding.  I make my own pasta, make my own curry powder and do all sorts of things like that but I can't cook a Yorkshire.  Hopeless with fried eggs too!
Brenda[/i
 I'm not too bad a cook now but I remember in the early blissful post-Honeymoon days I persuaded my wife that she could stay in bed while I made breakfast; while boiling the eggs and making toast I brushed my teeth, had a shave etc,well!it was going to be a full breakfast! funny smell ,oogorblimey, the egg pan had boiled dry and the eggs were burned, I'm the only cook who could burn a boiled egg !the rest of breakfast was fine and I don't think I did any more damage   Dickie..........X
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Anonymous

support please
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 10:46:46 AM »
Looked for you at Blackheath, felt sure you would be doing the marathon Dickie being a youngster.  compared with the eldest one of over 90...Bel :P

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
support please
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 09:11:22 AM »
Looked for you at Blackheath, felt sure you would be doing the marathon Dickie being a youngster.  compared with the eldest one of over 90...Bel :P
Angel, I don't even run after trains now,but the coverage of the marathon was brilliant,I wore my eyes out when they reached the Tower Bridge section before crossind the river (My river ), and by the time they got to Buck House I was worn out too    nowadays the only running I do is when it's bitterly cold,and then it's only my nose (ggg) 8)  see you     Dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)