Author Topic: Strange 'goings on'.  (Read 1179 times)

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Strange 'goings on'.
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
when they were building the Bromley Road library, next to the Catford bus garage in the early 60s I was working shifts at The Car Mart Ltd. the 24hour petrol station that was across the road at that time with Billy Eagle who lived in Capstone Rd. and three other men. The workmen digging the foundations must have gone down 15 feet or more, many lorry loads of concrete were being poured into it every day and eventually the library was built above it, we were curious to know why such a deep hole had been necessary, to add to the mystery, late one Saturday night I was working a night shift when workmen arrived in lorries, they closed off half of Bromley Road and began digging a trench,  they laid a huge cable from the Telephone Exchange next to us under the road, filled that half of the road in then closed the other half of the road, the cable went under the library, by early Sunday morning the road was back to normal. Some time later I asked a Lewisham Councillor, who was a regular customer of ours, what they had built under the library, he tapped the side of his nose and said "no one is supposed to know about that". The library was pulled down in the early 90s...roughly about the same time as the cold war ended. ???
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:27:59 AM by billbaker »

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strange 'goings on'.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
Yes I bet a lot went on around the place, and still does that we will never know ? Frank
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960