Author Topic: Newest Newbie.  (Read 1841 times)

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Newest Newbie.
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »
Hi everyone, still finding my way around the forum, my family moved to 47 Goudhurst Rd. in 1935, I went to Rangefield infant's school at the junction of Rangefield Rd and Glenbow Rd and from there was evacuated first to Rolvenden in Kent in what later became known as the 'Phoney war', in June 1940 I was again evacuated to a village in North Devon where I stayed till 1945, then returned again to Downham, finished my education at Downham Secondary school leaving at 14 years of age, then in 1948 returned to Devon for three more years until joining the 17/21 Lancers for two years National Service. On leaving the army I returned to 47 Goudhurst Rd and some years later moved to 45 Glenbow Rd and stayed till 1999.
I now live in Tonbridge.
My main hobby is photograph restoring.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newest Newbie.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:14:48 AM »
Hi Bill, Not much happening on the site at the moment,  has its thing at times, might be due to the rebuilding of the site, any way it gets interesting at times. I live in Rockingham Western Australia, winter at this moment in time, a good storm we are having today. I was evacuated to Lees in the Phony War and on return we went and live in Bromley moving to Downham in 1948. Keedonwood Road till the 60s then my parents move to the Brangebourne Flats in Old Bromley Road Downham. I was in the RA in Germany (Army) from 1960 to 64. Got Married to my first wife and live in Catford then moved to Australia in 1968. Have made some contacts over the years some I knew and others I cross their Path at some time or other. Regards Frank
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
Hi Frank, before those flats were built it was waste ground, a circus used to over-winter there, there was a boxing ring with the circus, a friend and I used to box there and we were introduced as 'local talent', we both belonged to The British Legion boxing club which was just down the road from where the flats now are, we were only thirteen years old at that time and the winner was paid 5/- so we took it in turns to win, we always split the money 50-50, that meant we could both go to The Splendid for 1/- and buy fish and chips on the way home, 1/- cod and 3 pence for a bag of chips, a good night out. My brother keeps me up to date on the weather in OZ on Skype most weeks. 30 degrees here in Kent for the last couple of days.

Bill.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:14:40 AM by billbaker »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »
Welcome all newbies -lovely to see some more people on the site and look forward to seeing more memories.

I was born in Crutchley Rd and we stepped over the border into Downham in 1948. I have lived in Australia since 1974 and although I loved it here and have  never returned to England, my roots won't ever be broken - especially for Downham.

Bren