Author Topic: Newcomer!!!  (Read 8883 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Newcomer!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 03:09:39 AM »
I seem to be the only one who had a very quiet and uneventful life on Downham!

Bren

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:31:12 AM »
 ;D Hehehe, Bren, I really enjoyed my teenage years in Downham xx

mickmurphy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 08:43:44 PM »
Hi I am a newcomer too, the funny little man with newspaper stall and always wore a Trilby hat was Bill Hart very tight on the wallet but a character the stall was right at the front of the Greenman car park my brother was one of his paperboys. I was born and brought up in Flower House Estate. Mick

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »
Yeh, I remember him. I haven't been on here for about a year so have not read any other posts about him. But as far as I can remember, he was killed but a newspaper delivery van, when he went to the depot to get his papers as he did very day,very tragic, that was many years ago.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
I See That it has all gone very quiet on here lately. I do hope that everybody is safe and well. Everytime i drive down Pendragon Road i still cannot get used to the new school. It looks more like a prison, In a bland concrete grey with very high fences. I suppose i will get Used to it in another 10 years or so. Weather here in UK has been a bit mixed. At the moment the Sun is shining Warm but not Hot. Anyway all keep well.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
I saw that school today...I just cut through the back roads , went down Shroffold Road, my late mother in law used to live at 83...the Kelly family, I was married to one of the twins, Dave Kelly, but devorced ...I remember reading about a guy who was searching for his mum, who was my sister in law, his name was Peter pyke but she had unfortunately she died before he could trace her, I believe he lives in the states, so sad that was... I do look in here now and then, thinking there maybe someone I know..Keep well everyone... speak in about another year! ( lol)..

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
I check from time to time, but not much action on the site, first day of winter for us 1st June, the weather is a lot cooler after a good warm summer and some good summer rains but need more here in Oz. We are off in July-August with 4x4-Caravan to the north which is great weather this time of year, winter is the best for the north west. Watched 60 minute makeover the other day and they did a make over in Capstone Road, Downham looks much the same, apart from all the cars.

Regards Frank Hutch
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
I See That it has all gone very quiet on here lately. I do hope that everybody is safe and well. Everytime i drive down Pendragon Road i still cannot get used to the new school. It looks more like a prison, In a bland concrete grey with very high fences. I suppose i will get Used to it in another 10 years or so. Weather here in UK has been a bit mixed. At the moment the Sun is shining Warm but not Hot. Anyway all keep well.

I took a look at it on Google Earth - what a dreadful looking place it is!  I agree, looks so institutional as opposed to the warm, friendliness of the old brown bricks.  It'll soon turn into a dump, I'll bet.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »
I saw that school today...I just cut through the back roads , went down Shroffold Road, my late mother in law used to live at 83...the Kelly family, I was married to one of the twins, Dave Kelly, but devorced ...I remember reading about a guy who was searching for his mum, who was my sister in law, his name was Peter pyke but she had unfortunately she died before he could trace her, I believe he lives in the states, so sad that was... I do look in here now and then, thinking there maybe someone I know..Keep well everyone... speak in about another year! ( lol)..

I believe that fellow was helped by one of the forum members and he did make contact with his mother's siblings.  We didn't hear any more for him but I've always (as I'm sure we all did) hope that all worked out well between them all.

Bren X

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
I check from time to time, but not much action on the site, first day of winter for us 1st June, the weather is a lot cooler after a good warm summer and some good summer rains but need more here in Oz. We are off in July-August with 4x4-Caravan to the north which is great weather this time of year, winter is the best for the north west. Watched 60 minute makeover the other day and they did a make over in Capstone Road, Downham looks much the same, apart from all the cars.

Getting rain down here in the south now, and much needed it is too!  We've had some pretty nippy days but, on the whole, a fairly mild autumn and winter.

Wish I'd see the makeover in Capstone Road.  Tend not to be interested in those particular shows so wouldn't have spotted it was on.

Bren

Regards Frank Hutch

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »
I Went Back To Downham Last Week. Nothings changed except theres new street lights and they are resurficing the roads. Pendragon Road is like a Snooker Table, Very Smooth. I Wonder How Long That Will Last With All The School Buses Going Down It. The Speed Humps are still a bit tall, if you are not careful they can take your Oil Sump Off. Oh And The Privet Hedges are growing like mad again. My Hedge Must Be 89 years Old Now.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »
I Went Back To Downham Last Week. Nothings changed except theres new street lights and they are resurficing the roads. Pendragon Road is like a Snooker Table, Very Smooth. I Wonder How Long That Will Last With All The School Buses Going Down It. The Speed Humps are still a bit tall, if you are not careful they can take your Oil Sump Off. Oh And The Privet Hedges are growing like mad again. My Hedge Must Be 89 years Old Now.

School buses?!  Goodness me, what happened to walking? 

Really, really pleased there are still privet hedges growing.  We have one solitary overgrown bush outside our front fence, planted by whom I do not know, and I just adore it.  When it flowers and the air is full of the scent, I am immediately transported back to Downham.

grindlestonker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »
I remember Clive Garthwaite and his reputation. I'm sad to say the my elder brother John used to hang around with him. Especially at the Bal Tabarin. Happily brother John turned into a well balanced and responsible citizen