Author Topic: Newcomer!!!  (Read 8905 times)

sixtieschick

• View Profile
Newcomer!!!
« on: July 03, 2013, 12:34:59 AM »
Hello everyone, is very late at night, or early hours I should say.. Been a few hours trying to get in!!.Did register about a year ago didn't post anything then just observed...My single name was Pam Robson, then  was Pam Kelly, married to Dave Kelly, who was mentioned on here  a while ago. (since divorced and remarried) am now Pam Callaghan...Also   saw Mike Hopkins posted on here, known I believe as HOPPO???? He was a good friend of Dave's.... Didn't recognise anyone else.. I used to live in PONTEFRACT ROAD...DOWNHAM..was born in that house...Now live in Beckenham...I used to go to Burnt Ash School...Anyone else on here used to go there.???...Was born 1948, so started there 1953, as it went from infants, primary to senior for girls in those days, would have left 1963....I think that was the last year of the  senior school for girls though.  Just wonder if anyone went to my old school...Or anyone who lived in Pontefract road , Or Keedonwood Road.   Also used to go to The Tigers  Head, in Southend  Lane, which is now a block of flats....Used to also go to the Dutch House at Sidcup, also working mens  club,  (the disco bit upstairs , which was for us youngsters)  in Burnt Ash Lane...Some one out there, surely must know some of these places????
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:25:35 AM by sixtieschick »

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newcomer!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »
Hi , Welcome to the site, I lived in Keedonwood Road from 1948 until I went in the army in 1960. Also I went to Burnt Ash School, would have left around 1953 then went to Durham Hill School, The Tigers head was my local (Trad Jazz) and raced my Triumph down the mad mile to the Dutch House. I use to work for Brownie the greengrocer going around the estate.  Just a quick hi!
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:51:22 AM »
Hello Frank, nice to meet you...I started school in 1953....In the junior school, was there a Mrs, Baldrey, when you were there.?..Bit of a dragon !!!   Al so Mr.Grehan, hated him, I was in his class a was terrified of him...If anyone lost concentration while he was taking the lesson, he would throw the board rubber at them!! Can you imagine him getting away with it today!!haha!!
     I lived at 25 Pontefract Road...was born there, and left there when I married in 1972...Moved to Beckenham which is where I still live... Used to have a friend lived at 206 Keedonwood Road, the MACE family..... Another family I knew lived at 214, Keedonwood..The Brown family... Also, along the same part of the road, don't know the numbers, was the AMPHET, family and the CHICK family....The boys were always in trouble!!  Do you also remember the Trams that used to run along Downham Way.?...I can also vaguely  remember  THE CHANGEOVER  , in Bromley Rd. it was opposite what was THE SPENDID pictures.    Thank you once again Frank...Hopefully this will jog other peoples memories....Have a nice weekend, and enjoy the sunshine .

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »
Hello sixtieschick, the changeover you mentioned was at the bottom of Downham Way, when the air raid shelters were there an old chap used to sit in the doorway of the bottom shelter on the left hand side all night with a coke brazier on the pavement, (always good to stop for a warm up), the clippie would attache the arm from the roof of the tram to the overhead cable and the old chap would pull the 'shoe' away which came out from under the tram, I can't remember when the air raid shelters were removed, they were still there in 1951, I have a photo of me walking past them that year with a tram in the background, I can remember seeing a tram on it's side in the middle of Bromley road when it came off the rails going round the bend too fast. Do you remember when the trams arrived at Grove Park how all the backs of the wooden seats had to be changed over?

Bill.

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:31:10 AM »
Hi Bill.gotta say I don't really remember much about the trams, just a vague memory of them.But as I  remembered the change over and believe it was called that for many years. Something else I ve just remembered was the Co-op in Bromley Road, though it's still there to this day, I can remember going in with my Mum and as far as I can remember there used to be sawdust on the floor? Also , anything you bought , there were counters around the shop, in the  central part of the shop there was an office  that used to deal with all the cash so anything that was bought the money was put in a little container and sent from the counter via the over head  wire to the central part, where any change would be sent back the same way ...Can anyone tell me if I am remembering this right, as it was so many years ago. Pam.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
Hallo Pam,

I don't remember a Co-op in Bromley Rd but remember very well the one opposite the Downham Tavern.  You are certainly remembering correctly as far as the money winging its way up to the cashier who was segregated in an office and who sent the change back the same way.  How antiquated does that sound now?  When I was sent to the Co-op to do some shopping as a child, I was always worried I wouldn't get the correct change back! 

I don't remember there being sawdust on the floor there but do remember it in Allneeds and also in the corner shop which was variously a butchers and then a sweetshop.

Bren

billbaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »
Hello again Pam & Brenda, I remember the Co-op, they also had the Co-op tailors there too, I bought my first made to measure suit there in 1951, cost me 6, they gave you little tin discs which you collected and exchanged for your divi, the butchers shop on the end was also part of the Co-op (that had sawdust on the floor) my friend Ray Hayward worked in that butchers shop, I remember remarking how clean his hands used to be, he would say it was because he'd been mixing up the sausage meat by hand, ::), he later opened his own butchers shop in Chislehurst High St. I remember The Splendid cinema, (the bug-hutch), just after the war it was possible to see daylight through small holes in the roof, another odd thing we kids noticed was that whenever a war film was showing, if an air raid siren sounded in the film you could hear the clatter as some of the seats went up as some of the older people who had lived through the blitz instinctively stood up as if to leave, then sat down again. Some films you had to be accompanied by an adult, kids would stand around outside waiting for an adult and asking them "can you take us in please mister?" they would usually say "ok, give us your money".

Bill.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 03:18:47 AM »
I sold newspapers for a while out side the Splendid, "Star News Standard" read all about it! before I got a job with Brownie the green grocer working the estate and Sundays at the vegie stall at the pub at the top of Whitefoot Lane. I also remember the Co Op with its overhead wires for cash transactions.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »
 :D So Glad I jogged some memories.   The pub that used to be the top of Whitefoot lane, was called THE NORTH OVER, which is now a petrol garage..I  had my hen night there, (the pub, I mean, haha)  when I married my 1st hubby, DAVE KELLY, back in 1972.
  Does anyone remember the funny little newspaper  man, who used to have a stand in the GREEN MAN car park?  He was a very upright man who used to delivery papers himself, even to my block of flats in Beckenham, in the early 70's (SOUTHEND ROAD).He was always walking fast, almost running..Tragically,  he was run over and killed by a lorry reversing, at the depot where he used to collect the newspapers.
     I used to go to the Baltabarin , I think it was called, the side of what was the old big DOWNHAM TAVERN. There used to be a disco there a few nights a week, and they quite often used to have DJ's from RADIO CAROLINE , and as I knew 2local DJ'S at the time,  JOHN TOWNSEND & JOHN SIMPSON  ( I was his girl friend at the time) I got to meet them, and also some of the groups around then, can only think of PROCIAL HAREM at the moment.  Well that's me done for now....nice to reminisce aye... Please excuse my spelling.....Have a nice weekend one and all, no matter where you are in the world.....,Pam xx

Well I've heard from someone who remembered the BALTABARIN  days, is there anyone else out there....There used to be a guy who was always getting thrown out of there, CLIVE GARTHWAITE,  I think his name was.. does anyone remember him?  was gonna write some more but will come back another time, the page is jumping all over the place!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:19:39 AM by sixtieschick »

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
  Does anyone remember the funny little newspaper  man, who used to have a stand JOHN TOWNSEND & JOHN SIMPSON 
[/quote]

Hallo Pam,

John Townsend has been trying to sign up so he can contact you but has been unable to do so thus far.  His sister, an acquaintance of mine, has asked me to let you know he remembers you and has some photos of you he would like to share. You will find my email address on-site and, if you wish, you can let me know how he can contact you other than  via the forum.

Bren

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
Hi Brenda, where will I find your e-mail address.??...Yes I would love to hear from John...Please let me know about your e-mail address though... Pam xx :)

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:43:22 PM »
Brenda, have sent you a private msg on here... Pam xx

royf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
Hi Sixtieschick,
Yes the Baltabarin in the early days they had wrestling there as well as music groups and later on in converted to Bingo I worked there for a while in the 80s

royf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »
Hi Sixtieschick,
Yes the Baltabarin in the early days they had wrestling there as well as music groups and later on in converted to Bingo I worked there for a while in the 80s
Also re Clive Garthwaite he was found dead in the River Thames a few years back but he was a drugie and a drunk which was possibly why he was chucked out of the Baltabarin so often

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
Yes , I remember the groups in The BALTABARIN. That was on the radio Caroline days!!!!   I'm not surprised to hear about Clive endded up dead!!! He was a nightmare, and aa few times he was involved in fights in THE BAL...I can remember one night, he had a knife and the bouncers had hell of a ajob to get it off of him, he was going all round the hall with them after him, if I can remember correctly!!!