Author Topic: John Simmons  (Read 2069 times)

jim

• View Profile
John Simmons
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
I wonder if anyone remembers my uncle John Simmons, he was a bus inspector with London Transport and you could always see him by the church in Catford where the 124 stopped opposite the Town hall, he had 4 daughters ( my cousins ) Carole, Lesley, Jackie and Gillian i think they all went to Churchdown school for girls, i haven't had much contact with them for a while, Les got married and moved to OZ, i visited them in 1965 when i was on the SS Oriana while we were in Melbourne, they lived in Brunswick, then a few years later i was in Melbourne again and they lived in Broadmeadows and the final time i visited they had moved out to the " boonies " to a place called Kangaroo Ground road in Warrendyte which I've been told is quite built up now, anyway, when they lived in Downham, it was at bottom of Downham Way just up from the Midland Bank where the 36b used to stop, i think the rest of the girls still live in London.

Jim

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: John Simmons
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »
Hallo Jim,

I'm afraid I don't remember any of your relatives.

From 1976 -1987, we lived not too far from Warrandyte.  It was still very rural in those days (but the development - so called - had already begun) although pretty busy at weekends when people drove out from the city to enjoy the bush and the river. It was a bit of an arty crafty colony in those days.  I've got a photo of me sitting on a rock in the river, panning for gold!  Found a little bit too - a very little bit!  I haven't been down that way for years and I'm not sure I'd want to see it as it probably is now. Too depressing. Sometimes, it is easier not to go back, isn't it?

Bren

jim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
hi Bren,
         Yes, i remember how rural it was, i took a train from Melbourne, and it was at the end of the line and then i had to take a taxi out into the bush and as it was getting dark, we had to search for road signs which were just a piece of wood plank nailed to a tree at any junction, luckily he had a flashlight with him, he must have felt sorry for me, because he turned off his meter, and it was a good 20 mins before we found the place and by then it was pitch black, i stayed the night and the next morning i got a look at the scenery and i could see how a person could get lost in the bush, it was pretty rugged but it was very beautiful too.

Jim

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:20:11 AM »
I found your comment about getting lost in the bush interesting.  On  our first visit to Warrandyte, my daughters and I were waiting for my husband to turn up in his kayak - a hobby he had at the time.  I decided we'd go for a walk in the bush and watch him paddling downstream.  Ha ha.  Before long, I realised I was disorientated in the thick bush.  Trying not to panic - and trying not to let the girls see we were lost, I listened for the river and managed to get through to the bank and from there, followed the river back   It was a salutory lesson and I never tried that sort of thing again.

People are always getting lost in the bush - and this despite mobile phones and GPS: many are found and some are never seen again. Very sad, of course.

We live less than a km from a beautiful mountain forest.  It does have walking tracks but I have never dared try any of them unless with my husband but even then, we limited ourselves severely and never, ever go off the track.

Bren