Author Topic: Downham Memories 2  (Read 3840 times)

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham Memories 2
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »
My name is Geoff Bates and I used to live at 8 Detling Road where my younger brother John still lives.My maternal grandparents were Harry and Jessie Knights who lived next door to Derek Slade's family in Geraint Road  sharing the same porch. in the corner house were the Stenson family their sons were Tony and John. Tony went on to be a sports writer on the Daily and Sunday Mirror. John became a professional footballer first for Charlton and later Mansfield Town. Further up Geraint Road towards Lancelot Road were the Cakebread family. Jimmy Snr who ran Delvin football club and played centre forward as well, his wife Phyllis, two of their children were Jimmy Jnr and his sister Jackie. I first lived in 52 Lancelot Road with my mother Eileen Bates nee Knights and my dad George and his mother my grandmother Clara Bates. We moved to Detling in 1954. I have two other younger brothers Terry and Mark. I left in 1969 when I joined the police in Torquay Devon. Growing up in Downham never did me any harm in fact it stood me in good stead.     

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Downham Memories 2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:08:06 AM »
Hallo Geoff, good to read of your memories.

The only Bates I knew were our next-door neighbours in Durham Hill: Mrs and Mrs Bates and their children: Doreen, Brenda, Jean and Stanley.  Any relation?

Bren

geoffbates

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
Brenda The Bates's of Durham Hill were not related to us.

royf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »
Hi Brenda,
Where abouts in Durham hill did you live as I have lived there since 1978 and got my heart broken when they tore down my old school Durham Hill Tec College for Teds ,
I still have the brick with my initials scrapped into it which I collected when they knocked it down I put my initials in it in 1955

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
Hallo again, Roy.  I lived at No 40 (you should have this info by now, I think) opposite the school where my mother was a cleaner for many years.

I knew some girls who went to Durham Hill School: Helen Petrou and Jean Spooner among them. 

It's not long since I heard Pendragon School had been demolished.  This was news that made me very sad indeed.  Amazing how attached we can get to the places of our childhood and youth, isn't it?

There can't be too many of the old schools left on Downham, surely.

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
Pendragon School has gone and now they have built another school there and it is just a large grey concrete mess. No thought to the design not inkeeping with the houses in the area
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:47:11 PM »
Pendragon School has gone and now they have built another school there and it is just a large grey concrete mess. No thought to the design not inkeeping with the houses in the area

I was lucky enough to receive some photos of the old school a few years ago.  An old classmate arranged with the principal to take a look around and sent me the photos which I so appreciated having such fond memories of the place.  How sad it is gone and to be replaced by something ugly - no doubt something without a heart.

Bren