Author Topic: Little shop behind Woolworth's in Catford  (Read 1891 times)

jim

• View Profile
Little shop behind Woolworth's in Catford
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »
We would go in the front entrance of "Woolies" in Catford and exit through the side doors, and right across the street was this little shop ( i forget the name of it ) where you could buy all sorts of weird funky stuff, like- pocket watches, long clay smoking pipes, black face soap, itchy powder and my favourite- stink bombs- they came in a box with cotton wool around them, in a glass ampules, then we would go back through "Woolies" and we would leave a deposit on our way out, that usually caused a bit of strange look on the customers faces and roars of laughter on ours, and then we would take the 124 bus home and usually drop another as we got off at the Northover. We weren't bad kids, just a bit mischievous.
Jim

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Little shop behind Woolworth's in Catford
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Like wise! I use to hang around Catford in my working teens and lived in Brownhill road when I came out of the army, I seem to remember that the markets was at the back of wollies, the main entrance to the Markets was  in " Catford Broadway" then into Winside Way? I remember I came over for a holiday some years back, and went to Catford Markets and a stall holder ask me what part of Oz did I come from. He looked surprised when I told him I was born and breed in this area, and over in OZ I was called a London pom. regards Frank.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
I do remember the side doors of Woolworth's in Catford but the only thing I remember being sold there were chickens - and I mean baby chickens - which were kept in some kind of large container and being kept warm with light-bulbs.  Lots of 'cheep cheep' going on.

At least I now know where you terrible boys got the itching powder etc! 

I remember going into Catford Market via the Broadway; is it still functioning?  Is Bromley Market still going. I've got a feeling it had already ceased by the time I left England in '74 actually, but could be wrong.

Bren

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »
Catford Market was still going in 1992. that the last time I was their. Just Google Bromley Markets, and yes its still going, since 1205 ( 800 Years) Bromley Charter Markets every Thursday 9.00 till 2.00pm
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:37:11 AM by Frank (hutchsky) »
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »
Catford Market was still going in 1992. that the last time I was their. Just Google Bromley Markets, and yes its still going, since 1205 ( 800 Years) Bromley Charter Markets every Thursday 9.00 till 2.00pm

Goodness me: all that history behind the Bromley Market and I never knew!   Had a look at that link.  Thanks.

Bren