Author Topic: Metal house in Downderry Rd  (Read 2713 times)

jim

• View Profile
Metal house in Downderry Rd
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
Does anyone remember the two houses in Downderry Rd that had metal for outside walls, somebody told me when i was a kid that it was an experiment in building techniques, i just wonder if some of the older posters might know anything about that.

Jim

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Metal house in Downderry Rd
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:26:37 AM »
This old poster doesn't know about them, Jim. Downderry Road, oddly enough, was not one I went down very often  If I was going in that direction, I would always have chosen to go down the section of the Woodland Walk near it.

Be interesting if anyone else remembers them.

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:06:20 AM »
The metal clad houses have now gone as they rusted away and let water in. My house in Pendragon only has a few courses of brick and the rest is built of a concrete clinker mix and then was pebbledashed.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »
Brenda,
          Sorry, i should have said vetrean posters, i will not make that mistake again .

Jim

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:01:52 AM »
Brenda,
          Sorry, i should have said vetrean posters, i will not make that mistake again .

Jim

Don't worry, Jim.  I don't mind in the least being an old poster - truly! 

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »
Does anyone remember the two houses in Downderry Rd that had metal for outside walls, somebody told me when i was a kid that it was an experiment in building techniques, i just wonder if some of the older posters might know anything about that.

Jim

I lived on the other side of Downham Way.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:49 PM »
Don`t worry Jim, put it down to a SENIOR MOMENT. I am not sure but i think i am one of the young ones and i will be 58 on Good Friday. But some days i feel 28 and others i feel 88. TODAY ITS 88
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 08:17:51 PM »
Just come back to the site.   Saw the bit about the metal houses on Downderry Rd. I remember them when  I lived on Churchdown and if I walked down, Downderry rd. the School is on the left hand side and the metal houses where further down on the right hand side.  John Smith
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.