Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 2469 times)

jim

• View Profile
Introductions
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, my name is Jim Luck, and i used to live in Ilfracombe Rd, we moved there in 1955, coming from the Elephant and Castle, like so many others, moving out of bombed areas that were still being cleared in the 50's.
I now live in Western Canada, a beautiful spot in the Rockies called Banff, it was snowing this morning, but, a nice temp- about 3below celsius.
I've read every post on the forum and it has brought back many memories, and it feels like i know you all, anyway, as i'm supposed to be working, i'll close off now and get back soon.

Jim

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
Hi Jim, Glad you have registered. I was told that there were only two Seasons where you live one day its winter the next its Summer depends which way the wind is blowing. I don`t know if that is correct. Keep in contact. John.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

jim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:35:39 PM »
John,
      We live in an area famous for the skiing, so, a saying around here is " We have 8 months of winter and 4 months of bad skiing " but, seriously, we do have some nice summers, sometimes it can hit 30 degrees, not too often.
       A bit more about myself - I went to Ballamore and then on to Pendragon and then to Downham Boys,
the year i left school was when Downham Boys closed down.- my first job was at Glennifer laundry, and then i got a job at Frisby's, a men's clothing store at the bottom of Downham Way - at 16, i joined the Merchant Navy and stayed in, on and off for 7 years, came to Canada in 1974 on Freddie Laker airlines and enjoyed it so much that i stayed ( it was a lot easier in those days ). I now work in a rental shop, skis in winter, bikes in summer, hopefully to retire in the near future.

Jim

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:17:35 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, my name is Jim Luck, and i used to live in Ilfracombe Rd, we moved there in 1955, coming from the Elephant and Castle, like so many others, moving out of bombed areas that were still being cleared in the 50's.
I now live in Western Canada, a beautiful spot in the Rockies called Banff, it was snowing this morning, but, a nice temp- about 3below celsius.
I've read every post on the forum and it has brought back many memories, and it feels like i know you all, anyway, as i'm supposed to be working, i'll close off now and get back soon.

Jim

Hallo Jim, good to read your post - and welcome.

I lived in Durham Hill for many years and went to Pendragon Infants and Junior Schools before going to Churchdown Secondary.   Now, did I know anyone in Ilfracombe Rd?  I do remember playing around there and in Bideford Rd.  Names escape me though.

Like you, I am now a long way from Downham. I'm in  Australia and we've been out here since 1974.  Love it to bits and am very happy on a few acres in rural Victoria - yet still think of Downham as 'home'. 

Do hope we'll hear from you again and that you'll share your memories.  Glennifer Laundry - phew, hard work from what I heard!

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
Jim give us the years that you were at school, so we can see if any of us were there at the same time. I am working with an old mate of mine who i first met when we were four years old and went to Ballamore Nursery together and we hadn`t met for over 30 years and we now play Golf together as well. His Name is Lindsey DeBruin. Not many of that name around.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
Brenda,
         Some of the families in and around my area- Ilfracombe- The Luffs, Senfts, Nicholsons, Irelands, Tickle, Prestons. And in Bideford there were the O' Brians, Parrotts, Thackers, Uckles, in Woodbank there were the Isherwoods, Hadaways, these are some that come to mind right now, i'm sure there will be others as the old grey matter warms up.  Splinter, i went to Ballamore in '55 amd then onto Pendragon from '56-60, Downham Boys '60-64. Some of the names from Pendragon, Ray Swift, Dennis Baines, Ted Wade, Fred King, Peter Williams, Gillian Hall, Susan Sanders, Betty Hearn, Rita Keen, Linda Mcavoy. I do remember Mr. Evans, Mr. Woods, Miss Rudolph. The old brain is starting to short circut now,
I' ll post again soon.

Jim                                                                           

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 04:38:40 AM »
Brenda,
         Some of the families in and around my area- Ilfracombe- The Luffs, Senfts, Nicholsons, Irelands, Tickle, Prestons. And in Bideford there were the O' Brians, Parrotts, Thackers, Uckles, in Woodbank there were the Isherwoods, Hadaways, these are some that come to mind right now, i'm sure there will be others as the old grey matter warms up.  Splinter, i went to Ballamore in '55 amd then onto Pendragon from '56-60, Downham Boys '60-64. Some of the names from Pendragon, Ray Swift, Dennis Baines, Ted Wade, Fred King, Peter Williams, Gillian Hall, Susan Sanders, Betty Hearn, Rita Keen, Linda Mcavoy. I do remember Mr. Evans, Mr. Woods, Miss Rudolph. The old brain is starting to short circut now,
I' ll post again soon.

Jim                                                                           

Can't say any of those names are familiar to me but I think you must be younger than me so our paths might not have crossed in our playtimes. In either Bideford or Ilfracombe there was a woman who used to bring sheets of silver and gold paper home from work from which we children made such things as hats. I am pretty sure she was related to one of my cousins on her mother's side ( not my blood relative . I can see her face as clearly as anything but can't remember her name.   By golly though, how exciting is was to be given that paper - magic!

I remember Miss Rudolph very well. She replaced our Headmaster, Mr Cutler, who was a kind and charming man.  Miss R (who became Mrs Lovelace - which I always thought was Mrs Loveless) was a tartar who scared the life out of most of us.

Bren

jim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
Brenda,
         Yes, Miss Rudolph was one for discipline, i remember in our first year, i think it was Ray Swift and i, who got into trouble of some sort and we were sent to her office where we both got two strokes across the hand with a cane, and she did not hold back, and Mr Woods would dole out punishment by putting your head between his legs and smacking you with his hand. ( There would be all sorts of repercussions of that type of treatment today) i remember one time we were rehearsing some play about Oliver Cromwell and King Charles and i was some sort of one Cromwell's cronies and i had to walk up to the throne and say a few words and turn around and walk away, but i got my feet tangled up and made a botch of it, needless to say i ended being a guard who just had to stand there looking gormless, so much for my acting career.

Jim