Author Topic: Looking for my parents  (Read 12302 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Looking for my parents
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 06:57:01 AM »
Every avenue is worth exploring, Peter. Good luck and do let us know how things go.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
By the way, concerning the 'father unknown' business.  This is also on my husband's (born out of wedlock) birth certificate and it was not something talked about in 'those days' so he had presumed his mother literally did not know.  It's not so long ago  I discovered  it was law (in that era) that the birth father had to give his permission to have his name put on the birth certificate.  As my husband's father died before he was born - he was a rear-gunner in a bomber - he obviously could not have done so.  All I'm saying is that 'father unknown' might not be a statement of fact,  and any child of that time who sees it on his/her birth certificate should not take it at face value. My husband did eventually learn his father's name. 

Bren

Peter Adam Kelly (Pryke)

• MSN Messenger - peterpryke@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
Hi.
  Thanks for the forwarded email, I spoke to Dave Kelly. Dave is my mothers brother, he told me a lot about my other family members. also he confirmed that my mother died Jan 2005 . I am so angry with myself for not trying this search along time ago. I didn't think I could feel so sad about someone Ive never met and never will.If any body ever thinks of searching for some one, DO IT NOW. don't have the regret.
Thanks again Bren for the info that has me on the way to contacting brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles, thank you.
Pete Pryke kelly.
Peter Adam Pryke (Kelly)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Quote//  If any body ever thinks of searching for some one, DO IT NOW. don't have the regret.

Absolutely:   I am trying to find relatives by the name of Smith. My Parents are Dead now, do I ever wished I had taken the time to at least ask them about their family and write it down, I may not have been that keen then but now i do not have the chance I regret not talking to them about Family. Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Peter Adam Kelly (Pryke)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »
Good luck Smiffy
  Pete
Peter Adam Pryke (Kelly)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 11:57:32 PM »
Hi Peter, Sorry that you got confirmed the bad news. I agree that you should not wait to find long lost family. But dont blame yourself to much,at least  you have tried,  and you have found some friends on this site. Best Wishes and please keep in touch with us.  John.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Peter Adam Kelly (Pryke)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 12:00:44 AM »
Thanks John.
  Hey at least I'm from Downham, right.
Thanks for all you help
Pete
Peter Adam Pryke (Kelly)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »
Hi.
  Thanks for the forwarded email, I spoke to Dave Kelly. Dave is my mothers brother, he told me a lot about my other family members. also he confirmed that my mother died Jan 2005 . I am so angry with myself for not trying this search along time ago. I didn't think I could feel so sad about someone Ive never met and never will.If any body ever thinks of searching for some one, DO IT NOW. don't have the regret.
Thanks again Bren for the info that has me on the way to contacting brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles, thank you.
Pete Pryke kelly.

Great news that you have made contact with your uncle and therefore towards wider contact with other members of the Kelly family.  I hope it goes some way to help assuage the pain of missing out on meeting Vera by so short a time.  It isn't hard to understand how angry you are with yourself and I hope - I am sure - this feeling eases in time.  I missed my last aunt by only two years because I didn't commence the search for my father's family soon enough.  That was not as painful as missing out on a birth mother, I know.
Do let us know how the contact with your Kelly family goes, Peter.

And the thanks rightly go to Hoppo, I was only the messenger.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
Thanks John.
  Hey at least I'm from Downham, right.
Thanks for all you help
Pete

Yes, Pete, you are one of us!

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:28 AM »
Quote//  If any body ever thinks of searching for some one, DO IT NOW. don't have the regret.

Absolutely:   I am trying to find relatives by the name of Smith. My Parents are Dead now, do I ever wished I had taken the time to at least ask them about their family and write it down, I may not have been that keen then but now i do not have the chance I regret not talking to them about Family. Smiffy

I'm afraid we were of a generation that didn't look back to the past very much, did we?  Not like today.  And when we were young, we were more concerned with the present and future.  Now we have more time behind us than is in front, we realise just how short time is.  Plus the interest in genealogy has been precipitated to a certain extent by the internet and that was certainly beyond our imagination, wasn't it?

Smiffy, your task in finding relatives and history is harder because of your surname.  Even posting a query on places like Ancestry.com has its problems - it's not the easiest to trawl through the hundreds and hundreds of messages left.  I left a message when I began my search and was very lucky in that a woman in Canada saw it and contacted me.  Turned out our respective great-grandmothers were sisters and she gave me a huge amount of information.

Where do you start with a name like Smith?

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »
It's like a Needle in a Haystack. Brenda !.  ::)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 08:34:44 AM »
Hi.
Pete Pryke kelly.

With my family tree I have found the Free BDM site invaluable.  www.freebmd.org.uk/
It is also possible to link to the General Registrars office to get birth/death/marriage certificates.  I have ordered and received these for many family members.  It costs about 7 pounds for each one.  With these certificates, especially the birth and marriage ones, it leads you one step further on.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »

I'm afraid we were of a generation that didn't look back to the past very much, did we?  Not like today.  And when we were young, we were more concerned with the present and future.  Now we have more time behind us than is in front, we realise just how short time is.  Plus the interest in genealogy has been precipitated to a certain extent by the internet and that was certainly beyond our imagination, wasn't it?

Smiffy, your task in finding relatives and history is harder because of your surname.  Even posting a query on places like Ancestry.com has its problems - it's not the easiest to trawl through the hundreds and hundreds of messages left.  I left a message when I began my search and was very lucky in that a woman in Canada saw it and contacted me.  Turned out our respective great-grandmothers were sisters and she gave me a huge amount of information.

Where do you start with a name like Smith?

Bren

My grandmother was a Smith, but I managed to trace her family back to 1423.  Ancestry.co.uk  is a wonderful site.  It has so much information stored on its databases, and it will automatically link you to the next peice of information.  The site also has census information as well, so you can make sure you have the right person.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »
That 's a truly remarkable  achievement, Pauline.  How long did it take you to get back so far?

Bren

hoppo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »
Hiya all, Glad all went well with the family search, I have spoken to my friend Dave Kelly and he is thrilled to have yet another member to the family as are the rest of his brothers,He is one of a twin , It was when I was in the army that I met david , we did our training and then went our seperate ways, I ended up in libya "el-adam" it was on an expedition into the desert that i went into the mess tent only to have daves twin sit next to me and said "Hello Hoppo what you doing here" small world huh! and getting smaller by the dayspeak soon hope all are keeping fit!??