Author Topic: Downhamites hang out  (Read 5636 times)

Jay

• View Profile
Downhamites hang out
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
Hi all,

New to the site

My dad often tells me of the fun he use to have as a downhamite,his name is tommy short,lived in old bromley road from 1947 to 1985,does anyone remember him ?

Also where did the downhamites hang out back in the day ?

Does tommys corner ring any bells ?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:30:05 PM by Jay »

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Downhamites hang out
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Hallo Jay.

Where on Downham did your father live and what years?  I don't recognise his name but you never know, someone might.

Where did we hang out?  You'd have to ask the more outgoing Downhamites that as I wasn't much of a mixer or hanger-outer! 

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
Most of the lads and lasses from Pendragon used to hang out on the corner of Pendragon and Roundtable Roads on the small corner green or over the footbridge.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
I've decided not to lower the tone of the forum by quoting the song about winkles. However, I've remembered another couple of 'Round' songs. 'Ten green bottles' was one, 'When I was young I went to school to learn ....' was another and' The man who put the powder on the faces of the ladies of the harem of the King of Caractucus is just passing by .......' That was a very long one and I recall that as a member of the Bromley Cycling Club we sang it as we pedalled along - when we had the breath. Up to twenty of us would sally forth on a Sunday to Boulter's Lock, Westerham or -  sometimes an evening there and back to Brighton! If a car - few and far between in those days - came up behind us the rear cyclist would shout 'Oil' and we would change formation into single file. We were all members of the Cyclist Touring Club and the Youth Hostel Association. Winnie May who lived in Tristram Road was the secretary of the BCC.
Splinter, you said that your local fraternity used to sometimes go to the footbridge. I remember that just after the war speedway racing, New Cross and Wimbledon, was all the rage with Ron Johnson as the main star. We built a cycle speedway track down at the footbridge just above where the stream came under the path. Many hours were spent there locked in combat with teams from all over Downham. When I visited Downham last I saw that the whole area is now incorporated in the cemetery. Also, the footbridge where I spent many hours watching the trains is now orientated on the other hand. That is you go up the steps facing Hither Green now. in my day you went up facing Grove Park. The more daring amongst our gang would balance along the top of the girder over the lines.  Whilst doing all these things, I don't ever remember telling my parents where I was going - that includes days out at Elmstead Woods. Ah! What days of freedom they were. I'm sure that I, and my contemporaries, enjoyed our childhood much more than today's generation despite all their electronic gadgets!
Here's to the next time,
Vic.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
The Footbridge was rebuilt in about Nineteen Sixty and if they dont do somethingabout it soon it will fall down as a pile of rust. I never went as far as Westerham on my bike but Keston Ponds was a favourite place. I once cycled to Heathrow for a days Plane spotting. These days i wouldn`t want to cycle to the end of my road. The state they are in i could get lost down a pothole.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

grindlestonker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »
Shortly after completion, I recall the 'new' footbridge claimed the life of a young childhood friend who played 'chicken' by running over the enclosed bridge, He tripped and fell onto the live rail below and was electrocuted

blore

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
i went to pendragon school  my name was grace blore and i remember hanging out on the green there
GRACE QUINN  NEE BLORE

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:49:11 AM »
Hi Grace, I think we have crossed paths, your name rings a bell, maybe through another site, or Durham Hill School. I also have two sisters Carol & Jennifer and Brother Geoff. I left UK in 1968 for Oz, by that time my parents had move to Brangebourne Flats Old Bromley Road, Mum worked at wollies and Dad Otis in the city. I was into Motor Cycles and a daily visiter to the Salt Box Cafe Biggen Hill.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »
I also new the boy who was killed on the footbridge. He lived in Pendragon opposite the bottom part of the school I wasnt about on the day it happened but i was told that he climbed ontop of the enclosed bridge and went to jump down onto the small ledge where the signal lights were but fell onto the live line. But for the life of me i cant remember his name.

grindlestonker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »

Hi Splinter

I can't remember his name either. I can recall the incident happened in the summer of 64. I was 11 then. He was actually my friend at the time and although I wasn't there at the incident it affected me badly.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
Don`t you feel bad that a mate of mine dies, i was 10 then, and i cannot remember his name.!!!   Anyway Grindlestonker you are a year older than me so we might know each other, but as you know living one road away and a year difference we may of never met so i will start about me. I am John i was born in Pendragon road and lived there continuously until i was 22. Our family first moved to the house in 1935. I mainly played outside the house but on occasions i played on the small green in Roundtable Road until the Council put a NO BALL GAMES sign up. I Went to Ballamore Nursery and infants. But then i went to Torridon Road School. I also went to 22nd Lewisham South Cubs and Scouts which started in Pendragon Road School but then moved to Ballamore. I also went to Playcentre after school and during the school holidays. The hump as i called it by the foot bridge was also a playplace and going on the footbridge to watch the trains being washed and wave at train drivers as they went underneath the bridge. Wasn`t childhood so full of innocent fun then, and didn`t cost a penny. Hope this jogs the little grey cells. Let me Know.

royf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
Hi in the late 50s we used to go to Durham Hill youth club it was run by George Green and Alf Mullery I met my missus there in 1960 and married her in 64 and we celebrated our 50th annerversary Jan just gone .
Also up the Tavern at the Moorside bit was a cafe we used it had pin tables and a couple of slots whiled away many an afternoon there.