Author Topic: Demolition of Prefabs  (Read 8503 times)

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Demolition of Prefabs
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
Just browsing through www.news.bbc.co.uk, and there is an article which looks like the prefabs on Boundfield Rd Catford are going to be knocked down. I thought they where going to keep some up as an Heritage program.. Have a look.  Smiffy   :(
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Demolition of Prefabs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:10:08 AM »
Just browsing through www.news.bbc.co.uk, and there is an article which looks like the prefabs on Boundfield Rd Catford are going to be knocked down. I thought they where going to keep some up as an Heritage program.. Have a look.  Smiffy   :(
Hi Smiffy
You're right that some have been listed Grade II - six in total, all on Persant Road, which runs parallel to Boundfield Road. I believe that four are owned by Lewisham Council and two are owner-occupied but I may stand corrected. More information about the listing of these prefabs can be found on http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-494765-excalibur-estate-nos-1-7-odd-no-25-and-n Clicking on the Bing Map/Birds Eye View tab shows an aerial photo of the estate and its proximity to the community centre (large square building and tennis court on far right of the picture). Four of the listed prefabs are in a row at right angles to the centre.
We're working with community centre users and residents of Excalibur to document their lives on the estate through film, photographs and sound to try to capture what is so special about the estate and its community. A little video tour of the centre and estate can be viewed here http://www.goldsmithscommunityhub.org.uk/#/north-downham/4546138580. If anyone has any connections to or memories of the estate please let me know.
There was also a big article in the Daily Mail on Saturday
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1347259/Britains-prefab-estate-residents-battle-save-homes-built-10-years-ago.html
and one in the Guardian the previous week
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jan/02/postwar-prefab-houses-demolition-london
The Daily Mail article is more balanced, the reporter canvassed opinions of residents who do want to move and the vicar of St Mark's, in Baudwin Road.
best wishes
Jane

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »
Thanks very much Jane for the U R L,s It was quite something seeing the old streets again. I was a Postman at Catford sorting office, and although I did not deliver to that area very often, seeing the road names with the numbers of the houses, reminded me of how you had too know the lay out so as that you would not spend all day trying to figure out the quickest way to do the walk. Without going around in circles. I hope they are not demolished. Smiffy.

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
Thanks very much Jane for the U R L,s It was quite something seeing the old streets again. I was a Postman at Catford sorting office, and although I did not deliver to that area very often, seeing the road names with the numbers of the houses, reminded me of how you had too know the lay out so as that you would not spend all day trying to figure out the quickest way to do the walk. Without going around in circles. I hope they are not demolished. Smiffy.
It's only recently that I've been able to find my way around (and out) of the estate! A maze of alleyways, roads turning back on themselves and everything at the same height. I think the road layout and the scale is is what gives the estate a special feel, no-one can drive through unless they are visiting or delivering. That will change if the planning application is approved as a road to link Battersby and Castillon Roads is planned. Bye bye kids playing out. I hope they keep the trees, they are beautiful.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »
Their was a discussion about the prefabs on Radio 2 today. The Council want to knock them down and build flats. They will keep a few for preservation. Lets hope not!!!!!!!!!!!
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »
Some memories of the community centre and the prefab estate are now online
http://www.goldsmithscommunityhub.org.uk/#/memories/4548543517

Please let me know if you have any memories and photos of your own by emailing goldsmithshub@posterous.com or posting them on this site.

There will be a launch of the project on 1 & 2 April at Goldsmiths Community Centre in Castillon Road - all are welcome and I will post more details once the programme has been finalised.

with very best wishes

Jane

hoppo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:57:46 PM »
Hiya every body, just got cleared to post on here, I lived in the prefabs for 25 years, us kids used the lamp post as a wicket there where only one car in our street (Pelinore road) a Morris minor owned by some one at the bottom then next door to me got an old ford sit up and beg we used to knock it about a bit because it was parked in the pitch, when I looked on line the memories came flooding back, there wasn't much crime, no one had much to pinch, us kids used to go down to the big dump at lewisham and rumage through the old bikes and we could always find enough to make up a bike for someone, I remember going to the bike shop next to the fish shop up the northover a haggling with thrupence for some ball bearings for the wheels, we also went to the garage in ardgowan road asking for old wheel bearings from the cars to make scooters, things move on all the time and I now live in lincolnshire out in the sticks.... nice fresh air and no noise and most of all no traffic, Good luck with all the searches going on will "keep an eye" on this site bye for now Mick Hopkins ex 22 pelinore rd

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 05:19:26 AM »
Good to meet you, Hoppo, and lovely to read your memories of the pre-fabs. I remember the bike shop well and when I started work at fifteen, I bought a bike from there for about ten bob a week until it was paid off. 

Do hope you'll share some more of your memories with us.

Bren

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
Hi Mick - a very warm welcome to the forum. Sorry it took so long to approve your account - we get lots of "spam" registrations, so sometimes throw the baby out with the bathwater, but are very glad that you persevered and are now able to post - be great to hear some more of your memories of the estate.
Mike

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »
Hello hoppo.  Welcome to the site, you will find the best bunch of Brits here than any where else.  by the way what School did you go to?.  Smiffy

hoppo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »
Hiya smiffy and all, I was at fosters park primary school 1950-1956 and then downham secondary for boys 1956-1959 left in 59 because my birthday was in the summer break, I thought it was good , Had a great time at both, Sadly both where poor at teaching me anything (or Perhaps I was just very thick), However I do remember a few names from fosters park-; Jean Steadman, Patrick Bissell and Wendy Goodyear to name but three, I have never kept in contact with anyone from either schools and often wonder "where are they now" There was one teacher from fosters park a Mr Bloomfield he taught geography and when he got us to cut out a map of the world (produced in class on the "Gestener"duplicator") and tried to put it together offering the explanation of "Plate techtonics" This was only a theory at that time and only became public knowledge some years later, Maybe I should have listened more when at school? I did "Bunk off" quite a bit and believe that the lessons we had where Boring and if say History was given the treatment of today with all the drama and intrigue then we may have learnt more sadly we only got dates of kings and queens and wars to remember and that was soooooo boooring, will try to keep in touch with the site and post some new things B F N Hoppo

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »
Hello Hoppo   I was at Downham the same time as you I guessed it was you, I am not sure what classes we where in together, but I do remember your friend Hawkins who lived on White foot lane who ended up in a clothes washing detergent advert, shinning white foot lane.  I went to school with Wendy Goodyear, I may have been Downderry infants or Juniors. Glad you are doing well. Beat wishes Smiffy or Smudger which ever you remember me by. :)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 06:27:46 AM »
Like you, Hoppo, the things I find so interesting now, e.g history, were presented in such a boring fashion that I soon lost my enthusiasm.  In fact, I started secondary school with a lot of potential but uninspired teaching by uninspired teachers soon changed that.  Of course, some of my fellow students didn't seem to think this so maybe the fault was partly mine.

At any rate, I could have/should have done a great deal better.  In my dotage, I have a renewed enthusiasm for learning and my latest interest is learning French.  I enjoyed it at school but it came to a halt when I left shortly after my 15th birthday (to exchange the boredom of the classroom for the boredom of the typing pool!).  I always said I'd like to give it a go again - and I am!

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 06:32:01 AM »
  I went to school with Wendy Goodyear,

Smiffy, was your Wendy Goodyear related to the Goodyears who lived along Downham Way, just down from Moorside Rd, backing onto the Hill?   I knew Phyllis Goodyear as Aunt Phyllis. She worked with my mother as a dinner lady at Ballamore for a while and when I was little, Mum would leave me with her occasionally if necessary.  I believe her husband was Ray.  They had no children and shared the house with another couple, possibly Ray's brother and his wife.

Bren

hoppo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:53:16 AM »
Well Stone me !! I had forgotten David Hawkins yes he did an advert for washing powder , His father worked in Hayes wharf and let us go there , sadly his brother Brian was killed when the car he was working on collapsed and crushed him,, David told me his mother lifted the car up so they could get him out, I have heard of this "super strengh" on other occasions, Very sad,  on a lighter note do you remember the day the science lab caught fire!! we all stood in the playground shouting "quick get some petrol" Ha! Ha!..... Well Smiffy my old memory cells dont have the total recall they used to have, try to remind me about yourself, I do remember a guy who used to play the cornet lived down Ardgowan way somewhere, also the green grocer's van that came to the school and my favorite was a pomygranit? (not a good spelling) when eaten the pips could be spat out for quite some distance.... Cor i was a little horror, I enjoyed my childhood and have been lucky in life to have done so many things, Now retired and living in lincolnshire I can look back on some great memories, and even now am creating even more, I only finished motor racing in 2006, Only three miles from us is the Lincolnshire Air Museum They have a Lancaster Bomber that runs up and taxi's, for a rather large donation you can ride down the runway and back... Great site to see the old girl trunddle down the runway and even better to hear the four merlins running you can for 25 crawl around inside great stuff for you aero buff's the plane is called "Just Jane" History available on the web Well thats me done for a few days as we are off to cambridge for four days when I shall collect my small front wheel butchers bike, Remember them smiffy, Going to do it up and fit a "Cyclemaster" to it , Thats being picked up 14th lune in liecester, A box of bits but that will be fun to do over the winter, wow smiffy you have turned some old rusty memory cells good luck all speak soon Hoppo