Author Topic: shops  (Read 8167 times)

dee43dee

• View Profile
    • Email
shops
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
Hi, A newbi here, does anyone remember Harry Stacey that had Boltons, or Adrian Hearn his son in law who also worked on there, mostly they were the side with the tobacco and papers?, also does anyone remember Sid that worked in the Fish and chip shop next door,

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: shops
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:42:44 AM »
Hi, A newbi here, does anyone remember Harry Stacey that had Boltons, or Adrian Hearn his son in law who also worked on there, mostly they were the side with the tobacco and papers?, also does anyone remember Sid that worked in the Fish and chip shop next door,

Hallo there - good to see a new person on the forum.

As to your question: well, I guess it depends what era you are talking about as to whether or not anyone remembers those names.

I lived on Downham from 1948 - 1969 and I remember Boltons and the fish and chip shop well and also the fellow and the woman (his wife?) who worked in Boltons but I don't know that I ever knew his name.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:43 AM »

Hallo there - good to see a new person on the forum.

As to your question: well, I guess it depends what era you are talking about as to whether or not anyone remembers those names.

I lived on Downham from 1948 - 1969 and I remember Boltons and the fish and chip shop well and also the fellow and the woman (his wife?) who worked in Boltons but I don't know that I ever knew his name.

Bren

Yes Bren, me too. I was born on Downham in 1944 and left in 1963, never knew any names.  Remember all the shops though..
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »
Hi all, sometime since I have been in touch. Like the others, in my era we never actually knew the names of shop owners and workers. I lived on the estate from (born) 1936 till 1960. Of course I remember Boltons and the fish shop next door. The owner of the fish shop reminded me of silent movie actor Ben Turpin : a little fellow with black moustache and wire rimmed glasses which looked like they were made from milk bottles, and his white (?) apron almost touched the floor. We used to spend our dinner money on a bread roll bought from Clarkes which we scooped out and filled with chips. This was a long while before the phrase "chip butty" came into use, but that is in fact what it was. The Post Office, The Maypole, Boltons, Pearks, Morrell & Dixon, Whites Dairy, Snooky Snacks, The Oil shop (Hawkins), The Co-Op (my mums divvy number 87470), The Barber shop, Bakers (Clarkes), Greengrocers and the Grocers on the corner of Lancelot Road whose name I forget. Who needs Tesco, Asda, Morrisons or especially Lidl or Aldi ? Those were the days. Good luck all. Ken Catlin

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:36:12 AM »
I always remember my Nans Divi No 197063. If when you shopped at the CO-OP and didn`t say your divi No, it was worse thing you could do as a child.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:52:32 AM »
Our Co-op number was 228409 - I think.  I have always remembered it right until this moment when I went to write it down!

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »
Our Co-op number was 228409 - I think.  I have always remembered it right until this moment when I went to write it down!

Bren

Phew: the correct number came to me as I was driving along later: 228209.  Now I can relax!  Silly how things can play on your mind, isn't it?  I wonder what my doctor would have said if I'd asked him to do tests for Alzheimers because I suddenly couldn't remember my Co-op number!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:58:16 AM »
He would do the tests!!
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »

Bren

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:09:31 AM »
What's the definition of an old Downhamite?  Someone who can remember their Co-op number!

Bren

Ken Catlin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »
I always remember my Nans Divi No 197063. If when you shopped at the CO-OP and didn`t say your divi No, it was worse thing you could do as a child.
I seem to remember that if you forgot or did not know your Divi number, the girl behind the counter would use hers !. I say "girl" because I cannot ever remember a man serving, although I'm sure someone out there will correct me. Ken C.

adcross

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »
Hello all. Long time no connect. Our Coop number was 12293. I remember it as easy as my army no.23377526.

The name Hearn was mentioned, Maurice Hearn lived next door to us in Shroffold Road, they lived at 304 we at 306 as far as I know he wasn't related to the other Hearn that was mentioned.

Maurice owned an elecrical shop just along from the Coop but didn't do very well out of it.

Boltons brings back memories, instead of catching the tram on Downham Way near The Green to attend Downham Sec. we walked and spent the money on sweets.

All the best to everyone. Regards Tony Cross.
A.D.Cross

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
Remember my army number 23785641 but not the coop number! not going to try and remember names of shop keepers.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Frank fancy not remembering your Coop No. To your Mum it was more important than any other Number. MUST GET THE DIVI !!!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:14:23 AM »
I can rest easy now the Co-op number is back in my brain. But tell me, someone, of what monetary (or other) was the divvy actually worth?  If I ever knew, I've certainly forgotten that!

Bren