Author Topic: Downham - a place in the country  (Read 7109 times)

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
Downham - a place in the country
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
I've been fortunate to get a copy of the above named film made in the mid 1980s by Mel Wright and which I think was part of the Downham Reminiscence Group. There are not only very poignant and funny memories of life on the estate and elsewhere but film of Kay's Drapers and the dance hall attached to the Downham Tavern.

We wondered if there is anyone out there who appeared in the original film? I copy this information about the Reminiscence Group and hope it is familiar!

The late Norman Smith, who resided in Rangefield Road, had the inspiration to form the Reminiscence Group during one of his periods in office as Mayor of Lewisham. This coincided with Downham’s official Diamond (60 years) Anniversary in 1986. ...Downham Memories which the late Arthur Andrews and his wife Vera, nee Wallis, guided us through from 1988 to 1998; having taken on the task from Mr Mel Wright; 1986 - 1988.

If you were part of this group, know someone who was involved in the making of the film can you get in touch with me please? I can arrange a viewing of the film, subject to the filmmakers' permission, at Downham Library or Goldsmiths Community Centre.

We are making a series of short films, with the same filmmakers, about the area around the Excalibur pre-fab estate which is due to be demolished after a residents' ballot. It feels like the country and many younger people have said that too.

best wishes, Jane

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Downham - a place in the country
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:34:31 AM »
Queenie sent me a copy of the film of Downham some years ago.  I was pleased to see some of the familiar places although a lot of it was 'talking heads' rather than the estate itself.  Good to record the history.

Is the Excalibur prefab estate the one that was somewhere between the flats in Crutchley/Evans Rds and Hazelbank Rd?  Well, their demolition  will be the end of an era, won't it?  What is to replace them?

Bren

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:00:14 AM »
Bren you're right the pre-fab estate is between Hazelbank and Boundfield/Castillon Roads, near Evans Road. The plan is to replace the pre-fabs with a mix of housing types; low rise flats and houses which will more than double the density of the estate. The plans were set back by English Heritage listing six of the pre-fabs on Persant Road last year, they are the least changed from when they were constructed in 1946-7. As I understand it there will be phased redevelopment over a period of years. There are mixed feelings about it as you will see:
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/8335464.CATFORD__Tenants_vote_for_development_of_Excalibur_estate/

best wishes, Jane

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
i havn`t been around the prefab estate for years i must remember to go around for a look when i go next week
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
Thanks Jane. Well, the demolition of the prefabs will certainly be the end of an era, won't it.

I followed the link to the Lewisham Shopper.  Had to laugh when I saw a pre-fab tenant say she had to scrap ice off the inside of the bedroom window in winter. So did we in Durham Hill and I bet the rest of you did too!

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
To right we did !!!!! kids today would die of the cold. Central Heating was a place in front of the fire after you had a weekly bath. GOD I AM GETTING OLD
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »
To right we did !!!!! kids today would die of the cold. Central Heating was a place in front of the fire after you had a weekly bath. GOD I AM GETTING OLD

That's right, Splinter.  I used to sit so close to the fire (which was only lit when someone was home and it was never kept in overnight), I had scorch marks on my legs.  But none of us felt hard done-by, did we?  It's just the way it was.  I'm sure our parents would have loved to have had 24hr heating in winter but money didn't stretch that far. Oh, we were a tougher generation, I think - even if we didn't know it at the time!

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
WE JUST LIVED IT. DIDN¬T KNOW ANY BETTER OR ANY DIFFERENT

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
WE JUST LIVED IT. DIDN¬T KNOW ANY BETTER OR ANY DIFFERENT

You're right. Pete and I often have this discussion, we went without, but so did everyone else, so we didn't know.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »
Well at least you didn`t have to worry about being burgled(can`t spell tonight). They had more than you. You had to save hard for anything so when you got it you appreciated it more.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »
Well at least you didn`t have to worry about being burgled(can`t spell tonight). They had more than you. You had to save hard for anything so when you got it you appreciated it more.

Hmm. kids today have no respect for other peoples property.  When I was a kid no-one attacked old people or burgled churches.  Now days anything goes.  I hate to say this, but the only thing that will stop all this is a war, and heaven forbid!!!  Maybe conscription instead of prison.  I wouldn't say conscription for everyone because some kids are decent.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »
IF these yobs want to fight. Then put them in the Army, at least they are then fighting the enemy and not our friends. ( End of rant !!!sorry!!!)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »
IF these yobs want to fight. Then put them in the Army, at least they are then fighting the enemy and not our friends. ( End of rant !!!sorry!!!)

You go ahead and rant... I'm with you...

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »
THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME RANT. If there is one thing in life i hate its all these do gooders who say that the kids today have got it bad. In my day BAD would not even equate to them and i am sure that you before me would say the same about my generation. I am sorry but SOME of the kids today dont respect anybody and until that respect comes back ( in my dreams) we will continue on this downwood spiral into oblivion.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
Don't think the forces should be a dumping ground for detritus - there are many brave girls and boys in our military.  Think boot camp would probably sort them out - although what happened to parental control?
Haven't been around for a while - husband on chemo and new baby for daughter and my soldier son-in-law but have checked whats been going on without logging in. Hope all ok?