Author Topic: Queenie Mortimer  (Read 2949 times)

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
Queenie Mortimer
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
Dear all

I have some sad news, that Queenie Mortimer passed away this week. She had moved to a nursing home after living in the house she was born in, in Fieldside Road. I knew Queenie for a number of years through her work with the Downham Reminiscence Group, she used to come to our computer group to type up her memories and scan in her photos.

Queenie was a mine of information about Downham and published a book, Downham Pride from its original cubs, which sold out with proceeds going to St Christophers Hospice and Goldsmiths Community Centre - people still ask if there are copies available. Extracts from her book can be read online at www.downhamoriginals.moonfruit.com

best wishes

Jane

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Queenie Mortimer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:09:37 AM »
Ah, Jane, I knew what was coming when I saw the 'headline'.  I had, as you know, been in touch with Queenie since finding the Downham Reminiscence Group and her sending me the DVD and booklets a few years ago.  I so appreciated that.

I wrote to her some weeks ago, sending the letter to Fieldside Road of course, so I hope she received it and knew I had not forgotten her.

How sad she finally had to leave her home.  I hope her passing was peaceful.

Thank you, Jane, for letting us know.  That was very thoughtful.

Bren

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Re: Queenie Mortimer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:55:31 AM »
So sorry to hear that - she was a true Downham legend
Thanks for posting the information Jane
Mike