Author Topic: brenda qualifies as OAP today  (Read 12666 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
brenda qualifies as OAP today
« on: December 28, 2003, 09:35:17 AM »
For Brenda,     :D  :lol: altogether now "Happy Birthday to you" Etc., Enjoy the next ten as a sextagenarian or whatever apart from a few twinges make them the Best ever, Have a very special birthday Pet.            Dickie..............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 11:11:05 AM »

HI Brenda,
I too would like to wish you a Happy Birthday, and many more.
All the best Keith. ( K9 )
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

The real Smiffy

Brenda on OAP no way
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 02:22:05 AM »
:shock: Bit late brenda have'nt been on the site for awhile any case "appy birfday" you dont look any where near old enough for OAP.By the way hope Syd is doing ok.

Anonymous

Re: brenda qualifies as OAP today
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 01:09:54 AM »
Quote from: Dick Eagle
For Brenda,     :D  :lol: altogether now "Happy Birthday to you" Etc.,

Thank you one and all for the birthday greetings.  I have no doubt that being 60 is going to be wonderful and I finally feel liberated (well, at the moment) from worrying about being haggy, daggy, saggy and baggy.  I'm afraid though Dickie, that I'm not yet an OAP out here as they moved the goalposts and took that up to 62 for women.  I am quite annoyed that I have to wait a little longer for my Seniors Discount Card!
 Thanks for your concern about Syd also.  He is fine and going back to work on Monday.  His wobby arm may take a little while to get back to normal but it is no hindrance in most things.  He has got off lightly.
We had the first close encounter of the reptilian kind for 2004 yesterday when a large tiger snake decided to come into the veggie garden and hide under the silverbeet. Fortunately the dogs were having a snooze outside in the 4WD after a hard day of being dogs.   Syd managed to miss to shots at it whereupon it turned around and headed for me.  I was armed with a mattock and missed three times.  I got it with the 4th try.  It took hours for my legs to stop wobbling.  Snakes in the grass are the only flies in the ointment out here - pardon the cliches.
Bye for now folks,
Brenda

Anonymous

Re: brenda qualifies as OAP today
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 01:11:38 AM »
Quote from: Dick Eagle
For Brenda,     :D  :lol: altogether now "Happy Birthday to you" Etc.,

Thank you one and all for the birthday greetings.  I have no doubt that being 60 is going to be wonderful and I finally feel liberated (well, at the moment) from worrying about being haggy, daggy, saggy and baggy.  I'm afraid though Dickie, that I'm not yet an OAP out here as they moved the goalposts and took that up to 62 for women.  I am quite annoyed that I have to wait a little longer for my Seniors Discount Card!
 Thanks for your concern about Syd also.  He is fine and going back to work on Monday.  His wobby arm may take a little while to get back to normal but it is no hindrance in most things.  He has got off lightly.
We had the first close encounter of the reptilian kind for 2004 yesterday when a large tiger snake decided to come into the veggie garden and hide under the silverbeet. Fortunately the dogs were having a snooze outside in the 4WD after a hard day of being dogs.   Syd managed to miss to shots at it whereupon it turned around and headed for me.  I was armed with a mattock and missed three times.  I got it with the 4th try.  It took hours for my legs to stop wobbling.  Snakes in the grass are the only flies in the ointment out here - pardon the cliches.
Bye for now folks,
Brenda

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 11:18:57 AM »

HI Brenda,
Why didn't you grab the Tiger Snake by the tail and crack him like a whip so his head comes off? it works in the movies. I prefered to use a long handled shovel myself.
When I was Rabbit shooting in the passed, I read a magerzien that said when gutting a rabbit, open the belly then grab the back legs and crack it like a whip, ( BUT DON'T STAND NEAR YOUR CAR ) I dind't understand that bit till I tried it, and got the intestines all over my face. ( YUK )
All the best Keith ( K9 )

Regards Keith.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 01:00:24 PM »
Quote from: Keith

HI Brenda,
Why didn't you grab the Tiger Snake by the tail and crack him like a whip so his head comes off? it works in the movies. I prefered to use a long handled shovel myself.

Yes, doesn't it look easy on the telly?  As for the shovel - I tried that once and it bounced off.  The snake then made off along the front fence with me doing a John Cleese run beside it to make sure it didn't head for the dogs.  I think the silliest thing I ever did was to get down on my hands and knees to make the sure the tail end of a "thing" sticking out from under a shrub really was a snake and not a lizard as I didn't want to kill the latter.  Oh, they are such a nuisance, aren't they?
Brenda

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 11:33:21 AM »

HI Brenda,
I haven't seen a snake for ages now, I tried to make a hat band with four Dugites when I was on a farm, but had no success, I turned them inside out to dry, filled them with sand, oiled them but they all stuffed up.
The biggest trouble I get now is snails in the garden, I don't want to put pelets down because of the dogs, and we used to get Toads that the dogs used to chase, not Cane Toads, just the little ones, but they can stick a little dogs mouth together with the stuff they secreat from thier glands.
But I haven't seen one of them for ages, just the Tree Frogs, I usually manage to get to them befor the dogs and throw them in the fish pond.
My black Poodle makes short work of the Mice around the Aviary, he doesen't eat them but won't give it to me untill its dead.
A Lizard would be good to eat the snails but I don't think the dogs would leave it alone.
All the best Keith ) K9 ).

Regards Keith.

The Real Smiffy

life down under
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 10:15:34 PM »
:? Cor blimey Mates, it's a lot different for you guys from when you lived in Downham. All you had to worry about was slugs, earwigs, Hedgehogs in the garden, maybe in the country a grass snake,s & friendly frogs. Have you met that guy who is on telly the one that goes crazy over croc,s, come to think of it have you met a croc.   now just a minute Dickie thats crockodile's, not the name you might call some one.  :lol:

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 01:09:30 PM »

HI Smiffy,
Haven't seen any Croc's, but I did have a pet, ( I call him a pet because I used to feed him, ) a two metor Racehorse Goana that I met working in the Dampier Sewerage, He used to take two or three inch Cockroaches off my boots when I was cleaning the IMOF Tanks, and I would flick Cockroaches out from under the other tanks for him.
The resedents that used to come for some fertilizer from the drying beds would get a fright when he came out of the Tomatos that grew there.
Not one of my best jobs, but I had many and they all paid enough to look after my family etc.
All the best Keith ( K9 )

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
Animals
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2004, 09:30:24 AM »
A real highlight of Australia was seeing some of the wildlife. Even though we were mostly in the city (Sydney & Melbourne) we saw kangaroos in the Dandenong hills (and an amazing range of birds), koalas and pengiuns on Philip Island, a possum, and the biggest ants I have ever seen - thought we'd slipped into a horror movie... No snakes though, much to the kids' disappointment and our relief.

On a sad note we got back to find our dog is really on her last legs and doesn't look like being around for too much longer. Perhaps we'll get a wallaby next...

Mike