Author Topic: The Baring  (Read 8171 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
The Baring
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »
Hi all. Been away on holiday. Went to the estate yesterday 17th and going through Grove Park by the station i noticed that the Baring Pub is all boarded up, i dont know if its being pulled down. That means that the only pubs open within walking distance of the estate are the new Tavern and The Crown in Burnt Ash Lane.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Baring
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »
Hi all. Been away on holiday. Went to the estate yesterday 17th and going through Grove Park by the station i noticed that the Baring Pub is all boarded up, i dont know if its being pulled down. That means that the only pubs open within walking distance of the estate are the new Tavern and The Crown in Burnt Ash Lane.

This is absolutely unbearable, knocking down the old pubs I used to hang around. I don't think I can take any more, it is to upsetting.  Sorry I can't write any more.   Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
Oh my goodness!  Is there going to be nothing left of the old places?

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:29:30 AM »
Oh my goodness!  Is there going to be nothing left of the old places?

Bren

I do not know what the old country is coming too, the things I hear about England these days make me want to cry  :'( :o :).   Smiffy

Jane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »
It was firebombed a few months ago and notorious for drug dealing, which moved from the Green Man to the Tiger's Head and finally to the Baring Hall.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »
It was firebombed a few months ago and notorious for drug dealing, which moved from the Green Man to the Tiger's Head and finally to the Baring Hall.

Seriously, It breaks your heart to hear of these things happening these days.   Smiffy

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:13:05 AM »
Drugs?  Firebombed? At the Baring Hotel?  Oh my goodness me, what is the world coming to. I remember sitting in that pub, drinking my Babycham (and feeling very grown up!).
Our young days were so innocent weren't they?  Or was it just me?

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »
Drugs?  Firebombed? At the Baring Hotel?  Oh my goodness me, what is the world coming to. I remember sitting in that pub, drinking my Babycham (and feeling very grown up!).

Bren

I think it was the way we where brought up, Brenda, we where taught, respect towards authority and other people, we where taught politeness to others, and a lot of the things happening these days, our conscience would not let us do them. All these things I have mentioned seem to have gone out of the window, society is letting itself down, especially with this politically correct thing that is going on, too many people are being allowed to do what they like. Not like the England or even Canada we once new. Smiffy

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 05:11:59 AM »

Bren

What?  What?  OMG I cannot believe this!  It's too much - I have to go and have a cuppa tea and a lie down, a couple of Nurofen + might help!

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »
Years ago this Country sent all the bad people to another Country i suppose we cant do that now.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
Um ... no, you can't, Splinter.  Smiffy, you are right: there seems to be a lack of conscience these days, doesn't there. And yet we hear only of the bad stuff and the bad people; we hear so little of the good and there is a lot of good people out there, nice young people that don't make the headlines.

As for bad people: well, guess who recently discovered her great-grandfather was sent to prison for receiving stolen goods?  Yep. Mine own great-grand-daddy was sentenced to 6 months hard labour. He didn't get out though, he died in the clink.  Perhaps that was a salutory lesson for my father and his siblings because they were all so, so honest.

Bren

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 02:54:22 AM »
We in WA have just had a 15 year old charged with receiving stolen goods, and pressure from the do gooder's, the police have dropped the charges and he now been given a A$1000.00 for his troubles. What next! stealing/receiving is against the law, no matter what the amount. Dark skin should tell you why! its getting worse does not matter what country you live in.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:29:06 AM »
Years ago this Country sent all the bad people to another Country i suppose we cant do that now.
No you can't - we have enough of our own, and by the look of them they did not originate from the first fleet.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »
If they were all shoved in the outback, most wouldn`t make it (no loss their) and the ones that do would not want to go back. Problem solved. OR we could always put them in prison for the right amount of time, with NO luxuries and no parole, then when they are near release they can go out (Supervised) and clean all the Grafitti and litter up. SORRY WE CAN`T DO THAT IT`S AGAINST THEIR HUMAN RIGHTS. Makes you want to cry. What i would like to know is that crime is getting worse no matter what we do. Therefore if the authorities can`t deal with it then US the PUBLIC will end up dealing with it like we did 2000 years ago. OK I`ve had my rant.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 06:50:24 AM »
If they were all shoved in the outback, most wouldn`t make it (no loss their) and the ones that do would not want to go back. Problem solved. OR we could always put them in prison for the right amount of time, with NO luxuries and no parole, then when they are near release they can go out (Supervised) and clean all the Grafitti and litter up. SORRY WE CAN`T DO THAT IT`S AGAINST THEIR HUMAN RIGHTS. Makes you want to cry. What i would like to know is that crime is getting worse no matter what we do. Therefore if the authorities can`t deal with it then US the PUBLIC will end up dealing with it like we did 2000 years ago. OK I`ve had my rant.

I think you might need a cuppa tea and a lie down.  But you are quite correct, not politically correct, but correct nonetheless.