Author Topic: The Baring  (Read 9474 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Baring
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 09:32:28 AM »
They cannot stop us from forming our own opinions ,I for one believe Tony B-liar should be arrained for mass murder,and responsible for the unnecessary demise of our soldiers in Iraq, now they are having a go at Iran. bring back National Service call up most M.P.'s plus Blairs Two sons (As Privates ) and send them  to Iraq. and Pakistan          dickie....................
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:05:31 AM by Dickie eagle »
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
Yep ! years ago we sent all our naughty boys and girls away,mostly to Australia,so if an Aussie calls  me a "Pom", I just call them "Deps" ( Deportees ). And what do we have now??? Ali Baba and his 40 thieves Plus a load of Euro Easterners  Grrr. dickie
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 03:06:57 AM »
Yep ! years ago we sent all our naughty boys and girls away,mostly to Australia,so if an Aussie calls  me a "Pom", I just call them "Deps" ( Deportees ). And what do we have now??? Ali Baba and his 40 thieves Plus a load of Euro Easterners  Grrr. dickie
Yes, so do we.  The problem is 'they' now think this is their country and that we have to change to suit them!  We had to jump through hoops to be allowed to come here, and it cost us heaps in fees and charges to the Australian Government, and we had to wait our turn because we were a statistic - one of the quota for that year. 
We had to produce a letter from every place we had ever worked since leaving school, (not a reference) just to prove that we were employable.  Try that when most of the businesses I worked for are no longer operating (nothing to do with me I might add;-])
The quota still operates, and each time a new boatload arrives at Christmas Island, they have to be incorporated into that quota, so some really good and useful families are sent to the bottom of the pile again.
Ok - time for a coffee and cake!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 05:15:01 AM »
I can almost see the steam coming off the forum!

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »
Hi all, Sorry i havn`t been on for a while not been to well. Went back to the estate yesterday and The Baring is up for sale still as a Pub so for the moment it should stay as a Pub. I have just had a shock froma newbie who tells us that Pendragon Road school is to be Knocked Down i made my reply but i am still in shock. It`s put my recovery back at least two weeks. But i wont see the old school go without a fight. I bet somebody has offered a load of money to the Council so they can line their pension pockets with it. Anyway due to the Freedom of information Act at least we can find out who`s going to profit from it.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

grindlestonker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »
The Baring was my first habitual local aged just 15 in 1968/69.....

My first job from leaving school involved a commute to and from London. Upon arriving at Grove Park station I'd pop into the Baring for a pint of Brown and Mild for the princely sum of 1/-3d. Bare floorboards and an open fire. A real spit and sawdust place but I loved it

sixtieschick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »
I passed the Baring today...and to my surprise, after it being boarded up for so long, it is now open again!!! It is now called the Baring Hotel, (was  it before?) and does food as many pubs now do...so should imagine there is a bar too???
 :o