Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 6280 times)

David Line

• View Profile
    • http://line.david.free.fr/linefamily.htm
Re: Holidays
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 02:29:45 PM »
Christine - I have to say Luberon is not my favourite part of France - too many Brits, too hot and dusty and virtually impossible to get into places like Avignon. Yes, the scenery is stunning in places but it is an expensive area ( mainly because of tourism ) and the food is not that good. There are a couple of sites worth visiting if you are looking for a long-term house rental. Try www.connexionfrance.com . This is an English language newspaper published in France with an extensive classified ads section frequently featuring properties to let. You can order a trial copy free-of-charge via their website. Another possibility is a website at www.thisfrenchlife.com which features classified ads - you can advertise for a property in the region of your choice, period and price band.  One other suggestion is to conact Brittany Ferries in Portsmouth. They have an extensive portfolio of properties to let throughout France ( they also own Gites de France ) and it may be you can cut a deal with them.

Our bit of France is right in the middle in Indre-et-Loire which is thought of as the "garden of France". We are basically equidistant from all the borders of the hexagon even though a journey, say, to Annecy in the Alps will take eleven hours and about the same to the Mediterranean coast.

David Line
Gareth Grove 1946 - 1954
Beechmont Close 1954 - 1966

christine

• View Profile
Re: Holidays
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »
David - thanks for the information.  Had quite forgotten about Brittany Ferries - despite the fact we have used them a lot cos they are a brilliant way to get to Normandy and Brittany!  I will get them to send their new brochure.  I understand what you say about the Brit tourists and I am pleased to say that Avignon is not on our list of places to visit as we 'did' Avignon a few years ago!  We also plan to be back home before the holiday season starts as I said before himself is planning to go back to work, albeit part time.  Anyway - whenever we have been to France Stuart has always been mistaken for a Frenchman - even to the point of being asked in a supermarket for advice on buying wine by a Frenchman!  Your "bit of France" sounds idyllic - how long have you lived there and why did you up sticks? (Just out of interest and only if you feel like saying).