Author Topic: Holidays  (Read 6968 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Holidays
« on: July 24, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »
When we think of how far we are from each other i would love to know where do we all go on our Holidays. Is it the same place or do we move around. I am off to Cornwall for a week  this Monday and then later in the year i go to Portugal. So i will speak to you all on my return.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:55:57 AM »
Took the Smith Family down to Lake Erie,near Niagara Falls, Ontario, had a lovely chalet on the beach had a really great time. It has been many years since we had a holiday like that, it was good for the missus, cheered Her up no end. By the way, came back Red White & Brown.   Smiffy :)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:59:02 AM »
When we think of how far we are from each other i would love to know where do we all go on our Holidays. Is it the same place or do we move around. I am off to Cornwall for a week  this Monday and then later in the year i go to Portugal. So i will speak to you all on my return.

I live in Perth the most remote capital city in the world. Wherever we go it involves flying somewhere. I must admit it was easier and cheaper to get to holiday destinations when in England. I cannot see myself travelling in a car for 10 hours just to get to Broome or somewhere. Although earlier this year we did travel south to Albany, Esperence and then up to Kalgoorlie and back to Perth.
The closest off shore holiday location we have is Bali which is like Benidorm. Phuket Thailand is popular and we have been there once.
It is easy for us to fly to Singapore, and Asia, we went to Cambodia and South Vietnam (Saigon) last year.  In January 2010 we are going on a P&O cruise out of Fremantle which is only half an hour down the road. My daughter and her family are coming too.
We have to pick the seasons too, we go north during April/October and South during the summer months of November/March.
I loved Cornwall especially St Ives!

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:17:25 AM »
I am the biggest stick-in-the-mud ever. I have no interest in going on holiday anywhere, much preferring to stay at home where I am busy, busy, busy. Don't like sitting on beaches, don't like travelling - particularly by car.  Have no interest in being in hotels, motels or caravans or staying in other people's homes. 

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:44:01 AM »
I am the biggest stick-in-the-mud ever. I have no interest in going on holiday anywhere, much preferring to stay at home where I am busy, busy, busy. Don't like sitting on beaches, don't like travelling - particularly by car.  Have no interest in being in hotels, motels or caravans or staying in other people's homes. 

Bren

Oh  Brenda   Your not an old stick in the mud, your like me, there's no place like home.  Smiffy
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:59:29 AM »
I could travel all the time, we have a big country and there is plenty of intersting places, yes you have to go long distances but that always part of the holiday. We are off to Karijini (Nr Tom Price) in August for a couple of weeks, its all gorges and great views, camping in the bush, we are taking some friends who have never been, we re-visit every few of years, love the bush and the North West of WA, it takes us 2/3 days drive, but travel through some old gold mining towns and the wild life is great. We are all set up with power etc! to keep us going for a week or two. Before going into a caravan park to refurbish things. Apart from our big trip last year, we try to get away when ever we can. We are heading North again in October and Albany down south for Xmas. We go away every month with friends to towns around a 250km Radius around Perth. We are not into flying around the place, been their done that. Some more longer trips planned for the future when Jan re-tires in a couple of years, apart from my volunteer work which is still good(2/3 Days), I am on holiday all the time!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:59:48 AM by Frank (hutchsky) »
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »

Bren
My dad said I had 'gipsy feet'.  Like Frank I love travelling around, although my kids say I call caravanning and camping the 'C' words.  I love seeing all the different places in the 'neighbourhood'.  We too are thinking of Kariji next year, they have the most wonderful tents there, air conditioning and everything!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
Hi everybody - lovely to hear about all those far away places - if I enjoyed flying I would be there!  We have had one week in a converted fisherman's cottage in Portloe on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall - idyllic - the pub was just up the road serving the best food and the sea was almost outside the front door!  Couldn't decide where to go for a later holiday but himself came up with the idea of going to Venice (short flight) so that's where we are off to in September for seven days.  If we get bored there (is it possible?) then we will take the train off to Verona.  And for those of you who have been to Venice - we are NOT staying near St Mark's Square and we have been told not to buy food or drink there as its very expensive!

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
Christine, VENICE is the biggest,boggiest ,smelliest open air Latrine anywhere in the world, and a trip in a Gondola equals the price of buying one  I am still trying bto contact the Linihan tribe incidently  dickie ..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »
Thanks for that Dickie - and I was looking forward to my holiday!!! My daughter and her husband spent their honeymoon there and we are staying at the same hotel as they did.  Have to say that even my son and daughter in law, who are very hard to please, had only good things to say about the city.  Anyway as far as smelly cities are concerned - I spent the day in our own fair capital on Monday which must surely come at the top of dirty places to visit - even the pigeons seem to have vacated the place! Still it was full of tourists so I suppose they like it.....

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »
Christine, VENICE is the biggest,boggiest ,smelliest open air Latrine anywhere in the world, and a trip in a Gondola equals the price of buying one  I am still trying bto contact the Linihan tribe incidently  dickie ..................

So everyone says - but I must have gone on a good day, or maybe the 'wind' was coming from a different direction, I didn't think it smelt at all.  But it's true that the nearer you are to St Marks Square the more expensive it is.  AND Christine, if you buy something - Murano glass or whatever, make sure you inspect it, and watch it being wrapped, and stand there and unwrap it again because they are magicians.  My Mum bought a piece of Muran glass, a clown in blue and green, we watched carefully, but didn't unwrap and check whilst we were there at the stall, and when we got it back it was a clown, but yellow and red, and broken!  So just beware. 
But remember Venice is expensive, it cost us the equivalent of 5 pounds for a cup of coffee (in 1982) and 3 pounds to go to the toilet. And we didn't go on a Gondola, we already had a mortgage.
Ok now that I've caused a sleepless night..............   I really liked it there.

David Line

• View Profile
    • http://line.david.free.fr/linefamily.htm
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »
Christine, I can thoroughly recommend Verona although it is some years since I last visited.  The amphitheatre is better than the Coliseum in Rome and I have some fond memories of sitting there on a warm summer night enjoying an open air concert.  For my part I feel no desire to leave France for a holiday - we have it all, super beaches, mountains, countryside of all shapes and sizes from Norfolk flat to Bavarian forest. Most important you can find good food and good wine everywhere.

David
Gareth Grove 1946 - 1954
Beechmont Close 1954 - 1966

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »
pauline I dont think you need be concerned about Sleepless nights Pet, after all a couple of them are newlyweds
and my first trip we had to get the Aircraft Carrier "Ocean" in to a very tight fit
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »
pauline I dont think you need be concerned about Sleepless nights Pet, after all a couple of them are newlyweds
and my first trip we had to get the Aircraft Carrier "Ocean" in to a very tight fit
Some scenes from the movie "The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen" was filmed in Venice, in which Captain Nemos submarine somehow managed to fit into one of the canals.  Very OTT but an interesting movie.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »
Pauline - thanks for the advice.  Been warned about St Marks Square - we are staying north of Venice in the Canneregio area. David - we have been to Verona previously and agree with you that it is lovely to visit although unfortunately we have not been lucky enough to attend a concert.  You obviously live in France - what part?  We are hoping to have a long break in France in May of next year when himself officially retires, takes three months off work and then returns on a part time basis!  We had in mind trying to rent somewhere in the Luberon region - any ideas as to who to contact with regard to long term lets - any agency or something similar.  Looking online produces some very expensive rentals!