Author Topic: Dahnum  (Read 4305 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Dahnum
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:23:43 AM »
From its original aims it seems the "Homes fit for Heroes" has certainly produced its own brand of personage far beyond what was envisaged, even by our parents.Travel,even into the next county, some far beyond and taking their affinity for what most of them still call "Home". funny when I remember my Parents calling Bermondsey "Up Home",or occasionally "Up the other end !". I did consider emigrating every time I hit a new port (with the exception of China and Japan)Oz and NZ were a real,pull as two of my Dutch Grandchildren are now finding out for themselves , Canada also but NOT  the french quarters, America was so so except for the Lone Star State mmm, Yes, especially San Angelo  and Now after all that I finish (at the moment) in Windsor of all places that I would not wish on anyone,YEEEUUKKKK.   sorry I'm just going to wash my mouth out           dickie..............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dahnum
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »
The furthest my nan went from Downham was Brighton. My grandad only went abroad because of WW1, My mum was Cornwall My Dad USA because of WW2. Me well i have driven a truck for charity around the coastline of Britain, Visited France, Spain, Canaries, Prague and Mexico so ive done more travelling than all my family put together. (My carbon footprint must be massive?).
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
Dickie dear, do tell us why you find Windsor  so awful.

Splinter, we shall blame you and your trucking for global warming. As for me, well, I have used so much flyspray since being in Oz (and particularly up  on the farm) that I am convinced I am solely responsible for the hole in the ozone layer!  Don't tell the Greenies on me, will you?

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
The way the weather has gone lately we could do with some GLOBAL WARMING !!!
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:08 AM »
The way the weather has gone lately we could do with some GLOBAL WARMING !!!
No, No no more warm please.  My plants don't know what to do.  My fruit trees have only just started to shed. The Irises are in full bloom, the roses keep budding. It rained this morning thank goodness. Torrential, rivers down the road, but now it's dried up, the sun is out and its 20 deg.  The car is loaded with umbrellas, coats, hats, gloves, boots, sandals, just to make sure I am ready for whatever the day brings.  Cold in the mornings 5 deg, and cold in the evenings/night 5 deg, but yesterday we had 22 deg!!!!

What's happening your side of the continent Brenda?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:11 PM »
Just a normal British SUMMER!!!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
Pretty nippy down here at the moment, Pauline.  The weather has been so mild that I had forgotten we are in winter.  It's cold hands and feet time again with severe frosts forecast.  There has been snow in the Dandenongs (on the other side of Melbourne) but nothing here as yet. We are getting small amounts of rain with the occasional heavy downpour that turns the road into a stream.

Like yours, our plants and trees aren't sure what is going on. Syd pruned the almond at the weekend and we saw it was at bud-burst. It's only just lost its leaves.  Although I thought my chrysanthemums were finished and have started cutting them back, about half are still in bloom and one or two are still budding. Crazy, isn't it?

Bren

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 02:24:29 PM »
My parents seemed to move around, we spent a number of weekends at the coast, Margate most times, catching the train from Bromley South, My dad work for Otis The lift people and travel the world,They went to Spain evey year in the early years, my younger sis now lives in Spain. My grand parents went as far as Southend apart from Grandad being in France for WW1 in the Artillery. My self always wanted to get out and about, spending 4 years in the army in Germany. Truck driving most of the UK and then coming to WA with a young family. Have travelled a big amount of Oz and some more in the pipe line.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960