Author Topic: Grove Park  (Read 5183 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Grove Park
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »
I've just been looking at Grove Park on Google streetview.
The shop fronts look so tatty.  I remember Clarks the Bakers, The Co-op and the Off Licence, they all looked smart and clean.  The shops there now all look like Asian tak aways, in fact I think one of them is!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grove Park
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »
Yes, I am afraid that Grove Park isn`t shopping heaven, there`s a chippy, five takeaways, four estate agents, three hairdressers, two corner shops (not on corners), a taxi firm, a cafe, two sweet shops and the rest come and go with the weather, because there are so many food shops there`s litter everwhere, but knowbody seems to care. I have travelled all over Europe and the streets are cleaned every day. You can`t blame the youth because the parents are just as bad. It seems that nobody cares what the area looks like as long as it`s not outside their house. I hope it`s not the same in OZ.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:21:38 AM »
The litter problem is not as bad in Oz although any amount of litter is not acceptable as far as I am concerned. I noticed this week that even down here  on the way to town there were a few drink cans tossed on the side of the road.  Unbelievable.  Mind you, there are more dead kangaroos than rubbish at present!  There are huge mobs of them about and driving is very hazardous, especially at dusk and dawn. 

At the end of our road, there is a little bridge which goes over a creek. A few years ago we noticed that someone had dumped their rubbish down there. I called the council and they sent out the van to pick it up and go through it to see if they could find a clue about the perpetrator. I've got my own ideas who it would have been but of course, I couldn't prove it.

Bren

David Line

• View Profile
    • http://line.david.free.fr/linefamily.htm
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »
Grove Park was always pretty scruffy, even back in the 1950s. The worst bit was the terminus for the buses ( 36B, 63 and 124 I think ). It was a sort of a concrete basin marred by huge oil stains from leaky RT49 sumps - less of a problem with the Routemasters that followed on a decade later. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I have an idea that Grove Park Station and the stairs leading up to the roadway and booking hall were gas lit.

Pip pip

David Line
Gareth Grove 1946 - 1954
Beechmont Close 1954 - 1966

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 01:16:47 AM »
Not old enough to know if it was gas lit (might of been in the Steam Days) , but there are no stairs, it`s all ramps now. The only stairs are between platforms half way down.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
Not old enough to know if it was gas lit (might of been in the Steam Days) , but there are no stairs, it`s all ramps now. The only stairs are between platforms half way down.
The station was built in 1871 and rebuilt in 1905 so I'm sure that it was gas lit at the beginning. (Steam didn't finish until around 1963). We didn't get electricity on Downham until the late 1930s. I recall that piped conduit was fixed to ceilings and walls for the wiring, Lights and switches - very ugly. When I first went to a house in Sussex which had been properly wired I asked where the pipes were!
Looking at old photos it seems that there has always been ramps from the booking hall area to the platforms at Grove Park. I recall that, as a litlle boy,coming up the ramp from Platform 3 & 4 (Up & Down local lines), I was always keen to get past the top of the ramp where there was a double upper quadrant signal whose arms went down with a crash when the signal man reselected 'on' or 'danger'.
Turning to the litter discussion. on 'Street View' I've scanned from Napier Barracks in Baring Road right the way along to and up Downham Way and I could see no litter. What I did notice was a rubbish bin about every 15 yards or so each with a plastic bag insert.
The shop fronts, with a couple of exceptions appear logical and normal for a small area Greater London shopping centre. Without wishing to be controversial, I have seen plenty of cases of litter strewn about in Germany, especially provincial France and quite a bit in Brisbane!
The only surefire place you won't see litter is Sweden. After a time you get so bored with pristine clean streets that you long for something to be left lying about. Anyway folks, I'll be able to update you after my visit.
Vic

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:27:08 AM »
Turning to the litter discussion. on 'Street View' I've scanned from Napier Barracks in Baring Road right the way along to and up Downham Way and I could see no litter. What I did notice was a rubbish bin about every 15 yards or so each with a plastic bag insert.
The shop fronts, with a couple of exceptions appear logical and normal for a small area Greater London shopping centre. Without wishing to be controversial, I have seen plenty of cases of litter strewn about in Germany, especially provincial France and quite a bit in Brisbane!
The only surefire place you won't see litter is Sweden. After a time you get so bored with pristine clean streets that you long for something to be left lying about. Anyway folks, I'll be able to update you after my visit.
Vic

We seem to have several 'gangs' of people cleaning up the litter, especially along the freeways (motorways).  At certain times you will see bags of rubbish placed along the sides of the freeways or whatever road they are doing, and following the 'gangs' will be a bright pink van collecting the bags of rubbish, so our freeways and main roads are kept relatively clear.  However, as Brenda says, there are always people throwing out cans and bottles onto the rural verges, can't think why they can't take their rubbish home with them, or why they are drinking when driving!

The only steps I remember at Grove Park station are those halfway down the platform, and those that were at the end of the long footbridge to the 'new' Platform One.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »
Dickie will remember when gas came to London and probably remember the details about Grove Park Station(won't you, Dickie?).  I can't remember when electric was put on in Durham Hill but it certainly wasn't on when we moved there in 1948.  Gosh, what a luxury it seemed when we did get it.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »
Brenda I do remember for the wrong reasons the House at the Downham way end of Southover backing on to Launcelot school, going Airbourne with a mighty "BANG" at about 7 A.M. There had been a raid during the night and a few incendieries dropped plus what must have been 250 Pounders which ruptured the Gas mains. The poor guy came in from the shelter to make a Cuppa and struck a match to light the gas    ..........BOOM !   yes he can confirm we had gas in 1941 strangeley he lived          dickie.............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 07:36:52 AM »
Blimey!  What a tale, Dickie.

Well, I don't know when Durham Hill got gas then. I know for sure we still had gas street lighting too. So exciting to see the lamplighter come around in the evening.
Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
I was told by my Mum, that my nan had the gas in the house taken off because her Aunt was killed in a gas explosion. I don`t know when but  the house was all electric whilst i was growing up and it wasn`t until i put in central heating in 2001 that gas was put back into the house. They couldn`t use the old piping so it was completely replumbed and the meter put on the outside of the house. That lot cost me a few Quid.