Author Topic: Downham Bromley?  (Read 31825 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Downham Bromley?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 02:24:28 AM »
Thank you John, I will follow the link to the maps.

Vic, who were the Richardsons?

One of my classmates from Pendragon was said to have been connected to the Kray family. I didn't know it then, but only knew he was a 'naughty boy' and always in trouble. I did hear he'd got into big trouble after he left school, and I was recently told he met an early end that may have had something to do with crime. But it's hearsay.

Bren

All the information you want is here:

http://www.thekrays.co.uk/stories_smiths.htm

A nasty bunch the lot of them!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 11:40:14 PM »
Very interesting.  Amazing though that I don't remember ever hearing of this incident.  Must've walked around with my eyes and ears closed, methinks.

Splinter, found those maps - really interesting.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 02:26:34 AM »
Brenda, I cant find old site but if you go to www.maps-of-london.com/catford.htm that map shows the boundary going up Whitefoot lane on the left/ north side then cuts across into Whitefoot terrace, then back through the crem to the railway. hope you find it. John.

Hmm... not showing properly on my computer (at work) there appears to be an error in the file. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 08:19:42 PM »
I suppose I'm really on the wrong forum, but this evening was the first time I've studied all the posts on all the different forums and I have been moved to write to say how good it is to see so many fond - and not so fond  - memories written down. I was particularly pleased to see a post from Eric McQuade in 2007. As I've said on an earlier post of mine, I knew his brother Brian very well. If you read this post Eric, God bless you, I hope you are well. You were, what is nowadays called an icon, to a lot of boys - me included - on the estate in the 1940s-50s. I can remember you coming home to Ballamore Road in your milkman's uniform. Another boxer whom I would call a gentleman was Ronnie Williams. He lived in Ivorydown and was an apprentice with me on a Galbraith Brothers building site at Honor Oak. A tiger in the ring and invariably successful at his weight, like Eric, out of the ring he was gentle, thoughtful chap. He emigrated to Canada in 1948. Turning to doctors on Dahnum. I remember Dr Aldridge. His surgery was in an imposing house on the right hand side of Downham Way coming from Grove Park Station right opposite the tram terminus. Another medical memory is the 'clinic' at the bottom of the path that cut through Durham Hill Park. If, after a visit of the doctor at school you got a yellow card it was for the dentist there - gas only for extractions; a pink card meant you had to see the doctor - a referral. But the thing I remember most about the clinic was their equivalent of A & E. If you cut yourself or fell in the playground and was badly bruised or grazed, you were despatched to the clinic. There were two delightful nurses there who attended to ones wounds. Harking back to Eric's post again, Terry Holmes, who lived next door to the Mc Quades, and I were regular patients at the clinic dreaming up fantastic wounds which ensured the teacher's release from class. It must have been my first 'crush'. (I was about 11 at the time!). Not good for educational continuity!
I hope I haven't transgressed any rules mixing up the forums like this, but I did enjoy reading all the different posts.
Vic.

derrick Durrantgoudhurst1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 04:55:36 AM »
Vic,was interested regarding your comments on various doctors. I recall a Dr Bee who practiced on Downham Way next to the YWCA,at top of Valeswood Rd.I recall when the flying bomb dropped at the back of Almscott Rd and Rangefield Rd, on a Saturday morning.I lived with my family in Goudhurst rd at the time,He was  amongst the first on the scene in his large Wolseley saloon,a good man and one of many unsung hero,s of that time. Derek Durrant South Australia.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »
Dr Aldridge brought me into this world (home birth, front bedroom at 27) Thanks Vic i have been trying to remember his name for months.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 10:49:54 AM »
It's a name (Aldridge) I've been trying to remember for a long time too.  I am sure Mum took me to his practice when we first moved to Downham. However, he sat me on his knee and gave me a cuddle and I didn't like it!  Of course, there was no malice or other intent in it, he was just being kind but it frightened me.   Mum took me to Dr Hockman after that.  Blimey, was I a wimp or what.

The dentist at the clinic was not my favourite person. I had a hole in a tooth and the gum had grown down into it.  He heated up an instrument and burnt the gum out.  Yep, it hurt alright.

As for mixing up the subjects on forums, Vic, one thought leads to another which leads to another etc and before we can say Dahnum, we've all gone off on a tangent.  I don't suppose Mike is sitting there with his whip waiting for us to transgress.  Or perhaps he is.  Hee hee.

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »
Vic,was interested regarding your comments on various doctors. I recall a Dr Bee who practiced on Downham Way next to the YWCA,at top of Valeswood Rd.I recall when the flying bomb dropped at the back of Almscott Rd and Rangefield Rd, on a Saturday morning.I lived with my family in Goudhurst rd at the time,He was  amongst the first on the scene in his large Wolseley saloon,a good man and one of many unsung hero,s of that time. Derek Durrant South Australia.

Derek,
I remember that Doodlebug landing in the Rangefield Road area. It was one of the nearest to where I lived in Merlin Gardens. The flats there had a large brick built surface shelter on the green just in front of the building. It wasn't used during the Blitz and Mini-Blitz, but we started using it when the Doodlebugs came over about every 20 minutes or so. I remember standing in the doorway watching the Co-Op milkman in Shroffold Road. We heard the bomb coming and when it was still behind the flats, the engine cut out. The milkman looked up, dropped his crate of milk and dived over the privet hedge. Luckily for us, it was one that glided for a short distance and this one came to earth and exploded in Springbank Road, Hither Green. That was the day that I discovered that adrenilin was brown! The milkman had already tethered his horse to the back of his float to prevent bolting I suppose, and he took some time to get organised and continue his round. A few of us boys went down and helped him. It was shortly after this incident that I was evacuated to West Yorkshire.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »
It's a name (Aldridge) I've been trying to remember for a long time too.  I am sure Mum took me to his practice when we first moved to Downham. However, he sat me on his knee and gave me a cuddle and I didn't like it!  Of course, there was no malice or other intent in it, he was just being kind but it frightened me.   Mum took me to Dr Hockman after that.  Blimey, was I a wimp or what.

The dentist at the clinic was not my favourite person. I had a hole in a tooth and the gum had grown down into it.  He heated up an instrument and burnt the gum out.  Yep, it hurt alright.

As for mixing up the subjects on forums, Vic, one thought leads to another which leads to another etc and before we can say Dahnum, we've all gone off on a tangent.  I don't suppose Mike is sitting there with his whip waiting for us to transgress.  Or perhaps he is.  Hee hee.

Bren

I've just had a look at Google Street View and Dr Aldridge's Surgey/House is still there. However, it appears to be an undertakers now called Constable and Toop. There's one of those stretch limos parked on the hardstanding where the garden used to be. I must say that travelling up and down the roads in Dahnum, it seems to be very pleasant there with lots of roadside trees and hanging baskets on the lamp standards; a sylvan scene indeed! The only things spoiling the view are myriad cars and wheelie bins. I notice in Shroffold Road,at the bottom of Merlin Gardens, the sewer vent pipe is still there. Workmen came on a yearly basis to paint the tube green and the ornate base silver. To everyone living near it, it was known as a stench pipe!
Bren, was Mr Skinner the dentist, practising with a surgery on the corner of Bromley Road and Downham Way when you lived on Downham. He was the original fang snatcher, but a lot better than the LCC dentist at the clinic.
I've decided to re-visit Dahnum in July staying at a B & B in Chatsworth Avenue - where i delivered newspapers with a round from W H Smith's at Grove Park Station. I'll walk as many roads as I can and report back. But I'll be on post before I go.
Vic.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 12:24:30 AM »
Lovely, Vic, to read about your good impressions of modern Downham.    I can't tell you how many times I've walked the streets in my dreams.

Roadside trees?  Do you mean bits of the pavement have been dug up and trees planted there?  That would be nice indeed.

Yes, Skinner was the name of the dentist 'down the bottom' and a very nice man he was too, and - as you say - a great deal better than the school dentist at the clinic.

Love the war anecdote.  Keep 'em coming.

Bren

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 01:39:42 AM »
Quote:I've decided to re-visit Dahnum in July staying at a B & B in Chatsworth Avenue.   Hi Vic tell us how you get on at the B & B, where abouts is it, will need a place to stay if I have to come over. Thanks Smiffy. 
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 04:28:13 AM »
Vic,your comments on evacuation stirred a few memories,I was sent to Rolvenden in Kent during the early part of the war.Whenever I see on Tv children in raincoats looking forlorn and with a label tied to their collars,I think how many Downham children amongst that lot.Several years ago on a visit to the UK,my wife and I hired a car and visited the farm in Kent where we were billeted.I wanted to say thankyou for their hospitality at that time,the original owners of course were not there,it was their children.Unfortunately they were not very interested and we were soon on our way. I recall being very homesick and my father cycling down to see me,but it showed me my first impression of how the other half lived,an education in itself.I like to think I am a bit more worldly these days.That of course was during the phoney war period,many children had returned to London when the real bombing started.DEREK D.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 12:50:46 PM »
Derrick,
I agree with your comments on evacuees. Like you, I was evacuated on 1 Sep 1939 to Burwash in Sussex, only to return before the Battle of Britain started! Then I went to Somerset; back in time for the Blitz; then Northampton, back for the Doodlebugs! When I visited Downham last year the children in Merlin (Ballamore Rd) school were interested in my various odysses - the teachers asked me to write it down for them - which I did and sent it to them, but I received no reply.
It's a long time since I was in S Australia when I stayed at Elizabeth for a time. I recall seeing some grafitti in a bus shelter which read ' We've skulled five flagons of Coopers and we're all apples!' . Perhaps you could interpret that for me? Obviously it's something to do with boozing.
Bren. Yes the trees are planted in the roadside pavements on Dahnum. I remember the part of Downham Way near Grove Park was very bleak up and past St Barnabas Church - now it appears to be quite well laid out with trees and shrubs. The other thing I can't get used to on Downham are all the road markings - and to see a bus stop in Rangefield Road, well!
Incidentally, my B & B will be in Luffman Road - very posh, off Baring Road/ Le May Avenue. Funnily enough, it's near where I was caught scrumping!
Vic.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 06:59:12 AM »
Vic, not nice that you didn't get a response from Ballamore regarding your war stories.  Seems that manners are not a priority with the staff, eh?  What a great story about your multiple evacuations only to be returned to danger!

Derek, how odd the family of those farmers weren't interested in your visit. I would have been thrilled to bits if I'd been in their shoes.

For those who knew Dr Bee, I am sure it is on Downhamoriginals that there is a photo of him.  Those of you who haven't visited the site, please do.  The group has put a lot of work into it and found some interesting old photo.  None of Dr Hockman yet, as far as I know.

Bren

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
Vic,sculling a flagon of Fosters,means belting down a well known Aussie brand of beer [fosters}.I believe is now popular in the UK.As to your visit to Elizabeth,this of course is a satellite town north of Adelaide, built in the 50s to accomodate migrants for the many Engineering plants ,mainly car related, that were established there.Just think of Downham in the sun.Unfortunately due to a combination of downturns in the economy and social problems, it is not the proud district it used to be. Many migrants to South Australia started life there on the old $10 pound scheme.the famous BGs started  there, also many good local sportsman .In saying that of course Adelaide itself is a lovely city and a great place to live.Brenda I was very disappointed at our reception during our visit to the place I was evacuated to,but also remember the kindness and generosity displayed by the parents to us snotty nosed South London kids.My wife is staggered at my memory,I could not remember my daughter in laws name the other day.Derek.