Author Topic: Downham Bromley?  (Read 31622 times)

Vic

• View Profile
Re: Downham Bromley?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »
Thank you Derrick. I'm presuming that Coopers is a regional beer for the Adelaide area? Whilst there I visited the Barossa wine valley - great wines - and also Adelaide which I found very attractive. The hotel I stayed in at Elizabeth was staffed mainly by fairly recent Scottish immigrant arrivals. I must say I was spoilt by them and spent many evenings on 'cook outs' with them.
Smiffy,
 I'll let you know about B & Bs in the Downham area. However, if you go to the Welcome Hotels website and link to Grove Park you'll find what you want to know. Also, if you Google '71 Verdant Lane' you'll get more info on 'The Feathers', The Fig Tree (Hither Green) and, a B & B in St Mildred's Road near Lee Station. It seems that the one I was after in Chatsworth Avenue is not available in the summer months so I'm booking at Luffman Avenue - that's the road opposite the entrance to 'the Chinnie' (Chinbrook Park) where I spent many happy childhood days!

Bren,
I felt quite sad when I read that you often dream of walking around Downham. I'm sure you're very happy in Oz, but I know how one can miss familiar and much loved scenes even though you may be in Shangri-la! I did a lot of world wide travelling when I worked, but I was always glad to get home to England despite all it's imperfections and it's unpredictable weather.
Regards to you all,
Vic.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »
Vic let me know the exact dates of your visit to the old place, if you want and i am in the area we could meet up over a pint. Best wishes John.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »
I have just noticed its about 80oF outside and the sites clock is still on GMT.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
Splinter,
I'll let you know - I'm waiting for confirmation from Luffman Road.
Regards,
Vic.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
As I was cutting the grass in the unaccustomed heat of the afternoon, I thought of a couple of experiences I had in Australia some years ago. This time I was up in Newcastle, in a bar during the 'six o clock swill'. The light was on and I was standing just on the white line having left the bar to go over to my group; ie not actually buying beer. A huge Aussie stopped me and said ' Shall I fill you in one at a time, or all of you together? There were about half a dozen of us obviously Brits. Probably enboldened by drink, I turned to him and said 'Aw, p*** off! He gave me a painful slap on the back and said 'Good on yer mate, let me shout you and yer mates a beer!'. I believe that the swill no longer takes place.
The second event was when our party caught the train to Sydney to see the sights of Manley and Bondi. We took the precaution of booking our seats for the return journey. When we got on the train to go back to Newcastle we found a tramp, dead drunk, lying full length on one of the bench seats we had booked. I went off and found the conductor/guard and he came back with me to the compartment. The big window was open right to the bottom. Without a word, the conductor took the situation in, picked up the tramp by the scruff of the neck and the seat of his pants and threw him straight out the window. It was a long way to the ground with the low Aussie platform! The drunk got up, brushed himself off, looked up at us looking out of the window and limped off muttering. We were all full of admiration for this display of no nonsense retribution.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 01:55:50 AM »
Vic,sculling a flagon of Fosters,means belting down a well known Aussie brand of beer [fosters}.I believe is now popular in the UK.

Well known in the UK - yes, but I don't know about you but I don't know any self respecting Aussie who would drink Fosters
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
You are right, Pauline its an export we did not want ? have not seen a Fosters sign or Add for some time.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »

Bren,
I felt quite sad when I read that you often dream of walking around Downham. I'm sure you're very happy in Oz, but I know how one can miss familiar and much loved scenes even though you may be in Shangri-la! I did a lot of world wide travelling when I worked, but I was always glad to get home to England despite all it's imperfections and it's unpredictable weather.
Regards to you all,
Vic.

Yes Vic, I am extremely happy in Oz and consider myself very lucky to be here. But I am still very attached to 'home'.  Haven't ever been back to England though - and perhaps I never will.  Might have left it too long now (34years) because so much has changed. Even the old house in Durham Hill has gone and I had always thought I would one day see it again.  Ah well, life rolls on, I suppose.

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
Bren,
I shall be going to Downham in late July for two days. I thought it only right that I should arrive at Grove Park station rather than go by car. I shall walk the roads for you and if there are any special photos you would like I would be pleased to take them and get them to you - somehow.
That goes for all the expats of course.
A thought that crossed my mind when I saw some children busy on their mobile phones the other day was, how the world has changed. We certainly had no telephone at home. The nearest call box was at Woodbank with a double box up the 'Top' outside the Post Office. If someone was using it you had to wait. If it was necessary to call a doctor it was Shank's Pony. I remember when my mother fell ill- a very rare event with that tough generation - I was sent running to Dr Aldridge's surgery to summon him. Calling an ambulance could only be done from a call box. I remember that, when small, the sight of one of those white LCC ambulances with black windows and a bell clanging away sent a morbid fear through us. We used to stand on the pavement and chant ' Touch yer collar, never swaller, never get the fever. Not for me not fer you, not fer all the famlee'.
Another thing that seemed to happen to most of us was to have our tonsils yanked out. I can just remember being taken to a hospital in Peckham for the op. That was after getting a pink card from the school doctor, a visit to the clinic and then a swift parting from my tonsils. It was just after Crystal Palace caught fire in 1936 - I think it was - so I was about 5 years old.
The hot weather of the last few days has broken and we are back to cloud and showers. I prefer frequent change. In the UK its only got to be hot and dry for a week or so and all the media are shouting 'drought' and showing pictures of emptying reservoirs!
Splinter.
At present it looks like I'll be in Dahnum on 21 -22 July. I'll keep you posted.
Regards,
Vic.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 02:38:35 AM »

Yes Vic, I am extremely happy in Oz and consider myself very lucky to be here. But I am still very attached to 'home'.  Haven't ever been back to England though - and perhaps I never will.  Might have left it too long now (34years) because so much has changed. Even the old house in Durham Hill has gone and I had always thought I would one day see it again.  Ah well, life rolls on, I suppose.

Bren

Brenda
Don't go back you will be heartbroken.
 I went back for a month in June 2006 with my daughter, we were horrified. Everything had changed, and not for the better.  The streets were filthy, dog poo everywhere, no proper rubbish bins, so the bags get torn about by dogs, lots of them roaming the streets.
The people looked unhappy, and always in a rush, no 'please' and 'thank you'.  I suppose as we were in Hammersmith we saw the worst of it.

Everything was so expensive.  We looked in the windows of employment agencies at the jobs on offer, and the wages were terrible.  The house prices were up.
I once worked on Oxford Street, opposite Selfriges (when I was 18) and would wander up and down Oxford Street and Regent Street window shopping.  Even those two streets had changed. All the old familiar shops had gone, replaced by tat shops.  Except for Hamleys!

I get Christmas cards from the lady who lived next door to us in Geraint Road, she is in her late 80s now, and she is full of moans.  Her daughter can be seen entering her house on Google Streetview.

On reflection Perth is so bright and clean and spacious, London probably was always as described above, but we were different on Downham.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »
That's right, Vic, my sister had to dash up to that telephone box the morning my father collapsed with a stroke when he was getting ready to go to work.  Then, not much later, she had to go up again to telephone Edgeware Hospital (where I was working) to get a message to me to say he had died. 

I was always worried when walking past the phone box in case it rang!  Out here, I soon discovered it was impossible to take a call in a public phone box. I thought that very strange.

We didn't have a telephone until we moved up here to the farm in 1987 and that was because, being so isolated, we deemed it necessary.  I still don't use it as a social tool though and can't stand long conversations on it. 

Vic, may I email you about the offer to take photos?    Bless you - and I mean that very sincerely.

Pauline, it breaks my heart to think of the way things are now.  I wonder if I will ever go back.  Another of my dreams is that I'm walking around places I knew e.g. London and suddenly I'm saying, "I used to live here, but I belong in Australia" and  then I'm aching to get back. 

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
Go ahead Brenda. I'll send whatever you want as attachments to an e-mail. (Obviously!).
Vic.

chosenman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »
I think the reason for the confusion is that the Downham was part of Kent until the establishment of the London County Council in about 1887! And then, when the estate was built, by the LCC (later GLC) it spanned the boundary of lewisham and Bromley. The post office, being emminently sensible, applied the local Bromley post code - BR1 - to the whole estate, but the GLC handed management of it back to Lewisham Borough.

This created no end of issues - Lewisham Council, ILEA Schools, Bromley addresses. Some people lived closer to a Bromley School but had to go in ILEA...

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 02:52:36 AM »
I think the reason for the confusion is that the Downham was part of Kent until the establishment of the London County Council in about 1887! And then, when the estate was built, by the LCC (later GLC) it spanned the boundary of lewisham and Bromley. The post office, being emminently sensible, applied the local Bromley post code - BR1 - to the whole estate, but the GLC handed management of it back to Lewisham Borough.

This created no end of issues - Lewisham Council, ILEA Schools, Bromley addresses. Some people lived closer to a Bromley School but had to go in ILEA...

Hello and welcome. Please tell us about yourself.  Where did/do you live. Are you still living on Downham?  We are hungry for information.