Author Topic: Western Australia and the daylight saving debate  (Read 3065 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Western Australia and the daylight saving debate
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »
I love Western Australia - but the majority of the people are living in the dark ages (sorry for the pun).  We had a vote for daylight saving after a 3 year trial, and yesterday it was defeated, mainly I fear by the old folks who are retired and the clock means nothing much to them.  We have retired friends who didn't even change their clocks during the summer. 
My son would come home from work, Lynley would have the picnic ready and they would take the kids (aged 4 and 6) to the beach for an hour.  But the oldies have put the lid on that.  Sorry Frank if you voted NO,  I recall as a kid going to bed at the same time in the summer as winter, and yes I went to bed because Mum or Dad told me to. I would lie and listen to Mum and Dad in the garden talking to the neighbours, or Dad mowing the lawn, it was a comforting feeling, and then went to sleep.  We had no idea about daylight saving, we just knew that in the summer the evenings were longer, and we had more time for playing.  The curtains didn't fade, the cows didn't get stressed (obviously British cows are more placid than WA cows), and regardless of what anyone says there isn't more sunshine, it's only in a different part of the day.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Western Australia and the daylight saving debate
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
I love Western Australia - but the majority of the people are living in the dark ages (sorry for the pun).  We had a vote for daylight saving after a 3 year trial, and yesterday it was defeated, mainly I fear by the old folks who are retired and the clock means nothing much to them.  We have retired friends who didn't even change their clocks during the summer. 
My son would come home from work, Lynley would have the picnic ready and they would take the kids (aged 4 and 6) to the beach for an hour.  But the oldies have put the lid on that.  Sorry Frank if you voted NO,  I recall as a kid going to bed at the same time in the summer as winter, and yes I went to bed because Mum or Dad told me to. I would lie and listen to Mum and Dad in the garden talking to the neighbours, or Dad mowing the lawn, it was a comforting feeling, and then went to sleep.  We had no idea about daylight saving, we just knew that in the summer the evenings were longer, and we had more time for playing.  The curtains didn't fade, the cows didn't get stressed (obviously British cows are more placid than WA cows), and regardless of what anyone says there isn't more sunshine, it's only in a different part of the day.
I voted "YES" and so did my wife Jan, we  love the extra hour after work, and I agree with you, we are a bit backward at times, as they say WA stands for "Wait A While"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:38:43 AM by Frank (hutchsky) »
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »
Pauline, you have reminded me of going to bed during daylight hours and reading for a while, feeling a pleasant breeze coming through the bedroom window and hearing the soft sounds of life going on outside in the street and gardens.  I've never managed to recapture that. 
Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:45:15 AM »
Pauline, you have reminded me of going to bed during daylight hours and reading for a while, feeling a pleasant breeze coming through the bedroom window and hearing the soft sounds of life going on outside in the street and gardens.  I've never managed to recapture that. 
Bren

I know.  Hearing the neighbours talking whilst doing their gardening, and generally being 'neighbourly'.  When my daughter and I went back to England in June 2006, we sat outside and read, and my daughter said how she had forgotton how it stayed light until past 10 o'clock. 
Oh well, thats democracy I suppose - but statistics showed that it was mainly the over 65's who voted NO.  A pity because most of them are retired, and they could even leave their clocks in daylight wasting.
It's the old WA way of thinking - they don't do anything that the eastern states do.  We now have a debate on shopping hours, which are also old fashioned.  Not that I particularly want shops open all the time.  But the tourists get a shock when everything closes at 5.30pm, and the antitute is "we dont want tourists messing up our state".  Its really quite sad.  Our Premier said that we should have another daylight saving referendum in 10 years, when all the oldies are dead.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:16:31 AM »
It bucketed down with rain in Rockingham after a long dry spell, I wonder if it was the no vote that made it rain?? I bet some one will say so, we are the only State that cows wear watches and the changing of the hour makes more crashes on the road, that apart, from the fading of the curtains etc!!!! I always tell people, Western Australia is a great place providing you can put up with some of the backward thinking.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:18:13 AM by Frank (hutchsky) »
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960