Author Topic: Old playmates  (Read 33218 times)

Brenda

Old playmates
« on: July 29, 2003, 11:56:42 AM »
I'm christening the new forum with my request from the old - finding the old Durham Hill playmates. I'd love to know what happened to Carol Orme, Betty Ingram, Jean Spooner, Mary Edwards, Susan Hill, Carol Phillips, Janet Hayes.  And I often wonder what happened to the McKay (not sure if that is the correct spelling) twin boys who lived on the other side of Durham Hill in a close near St Barnabas.
Brenda

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Old playmates
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 12:16:40 AM »
:shock: Wonder how Keith is. he's been quiet for a few days. maybe it was the shock of losind this site temporarily ?. Hope you are still fighting fit mate. I would still like to hear from the old 13th  at St Barnabas. There must be some of the old Scouters around. or even someone whose education was badly mauled as a pupil in the "Dogs Home" (Durham Hill) ! No,not you Brenda .  Ah well. Bye from a"Guest" though I'd prefer Dickie Eagle.............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Old playmates
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 02:29:44 PM »
:D
Hi Dickie,
I'M okay mate, medication seems to be  working, but my ISP couldn't send out my emails, I could receive  and check websites but not receive emails but that is all fixed now, will try and get back on track now, that was a good site Beryl sent, www. ideal-homes.org.uk so much informayion in it and old pictures.
By the way Mike great new web site for the forum, congratulations to Beryl for winning the prize.
Regards Keith ( K9 )
My name is Keith Allen but I use ( K9 ) as my nick name.
Regards Keith.

Dickie Eagle

Re: Old playmates
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 01:20:16 AM »
Quote from: Brenda
I'm christening the new forum with my request from the old - finding the old Durham Hill playmates.  Hope you find them  Bren, Me ! Isn't there anyone left who got their Cottage loaf or a 3d, packet of " Day by Day" or Petit Beurre Biscquits from "Grooms" Bakers Van ? ? ? I used to enjoy being a Bakers Boy back in those balmy days on the estate and even remember most of my customers      Dickie ................

Graham

• View Profile
    • Email
Fresh bread and warm doorstep milk....
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 08:58:15 PM »
Dickie..... You seem to be the 'All seeing, all knowing' one amidst us.

My mother purchased bread from the Groom's Bakery and the horse drawn cart. She also had milk delivered from the Express Dairy horse and cart. Sometimes she gave me halve an apple to feed the horses. I think it was to help the garden!

I know where my Grandfather got our garden manure from but do you know where the bakery and the bottling plant was located?

When I was a young man at school I delivered meat on Saturday mornings on a bicycle with a wicker basket over the small front wheel. In the winter months the bike became top heavy with meat and I would often fall off turning corners. I worked for the butcher at the South Suburban Co-Op in Brownhill Road, Catford.
Graham A

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
People I went to school with
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 03:23:59 PM »
Brenda I went to school with Jean Spooner lived up the road from me but once left school in 57 I lost contact with most of my school mates apart from John Nunn who I roded motor cycles with and recontacted on Friends Reunited on the Durham Hill School Site  some might know my younger sisters Carol and Jenny Hutchison me being Frank [Francis] also I was in 13th St Barnabas scouts remember going to a big camp near Down in Kent one Easter and got very wet and the girl guides were not friendly we had to stay in our own camp. also remember the twins.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

dickie eagle

Re: People I went to school with
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 12:30:24 AM »
Quote from: hutchsky
Brenda I went to school with Jean Spooner lived up the road from me but once I was in 13th St Barnabas scouts remember going to a big camp near Down in Kent one Easter and got very wet and the girl guides were not friendly we had to stay in our own camp.
The 13th, St Barnabas was an integral part of my pre-teens, I made many friends and did the Downe camps with a Trek Cart and Summer camps in Eype, Dorset a couple of times and one in Fittleworth Sussex The first Scoutmaster was Dr.Stirling who went on Missionary work in S.Africa, then we had The Reverend Fred Sayers who was the incumbent at St. Barnabas and we had a field day at his wedding to Lucy (Lady Motte) at Much Hadham in  1937 then the war with Frank Measures, who was succeeded by an old Rover named Fred Layton who you probably knew. I hope you enjoyed scouting as much as I did. All the best .   Dickie.....................

John Nunn

Grooms baker
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 09:49:19 PM »
Oh yes I remember Grooms baker,he had a horse and van,our baker was called Jock.Grooms stables were on the end of Burnt Ash shops where the fair people used to set up the bumper cars and things.I also remember the salt and vinegar man where you could buy blocks of salt and top up your vinegar bottle from the barrel.I lived in Keedonwood rd ,number218,near Burnt Ash school,and as a boy would follow the marching bands around the streets on Sunday mornings.The srimp and winkle man came round on Sunday mornings and if you were feeling rich you could have half a pint of prawns for tea.I spent many evenings on the step outside the tavern with a bag of crisp and arrowroot biscuit ,safe to do so in those days.I now live in Cornwall,St Austell,and I have a very good memory of Downham even Mr Skinner the dentist someone mentioned.I think Grooms bakers was slowly pushed out when Hemmings started coming round.He used to push a wicker basket type barrow for a time.

Bel

• View Profile
Memories
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 09:46:56 AM »
Oh yes, the salt and vinegar man.  I used to have to grate the salt and put it in a large earthenware jar.  Do you remember the rag and bone man, who for a bag of rags gave you a plate, or something similar.  We collected most of our china this way. We had our bread delivered by Fysons :o how handsome the delivery boy was. Also Steve the accumulator man which we had to have to make the wireless go (no electricity in those days(it always used to run out when we were listening to" the man in Black" or "In Town Tonight")  . The summers seemed very hot in those days, but the winters very cold, 'chilblains' were the bain of my life then. Best wishes Bel

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Memories
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 12:03:42 AM »
Quote from: Bel
 Do you remember the rag and bone man, who for a bag of rags gave you a plate, or something similar.  We collected most of our china this way.
Rags 'n' b..o...o...o...nes, rags 'n' b...o...o...o...nes"  Oh yes, I remember that call well.  Trouble is I used to feel desperately sorry for the old nag pulling the heavy cart along.  My mother once gave me a large bundle of rags to take out and I came back with a wooden spoon instead of something much more worthwhile.  She was furious with me.  Mind you, the rags must have been really that because Mum recycled just about everything (like most of our mothers I think).  If those rags were too bad to even make rugs, they must have been pretty awful.
Brenda

Dickie

Re: Memories
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2003, 12:28:56 AM »
Quote from: Brenda
Quote from: Bel
 Do you remember the rag and bone man, who for a bag of rags gave you a plate, or something similar.  We collected most of our china this way.
Rags 'n' b..o...o...o...nes, rags 'n' b...o...o...o...nes"  Oh yes, I remember that call well.  
Brenda
oh Blimey Bren, "Cries of old Downham" ? but yes,even the old chap who bawled out "JaHAMjar 'apenny" had all us entrapreneurs diving into our neighbours dustbins.  The main failure of the delivery vans, Groom's,United Dairies, and Express Dairies was the wartime rationing and loss of staff into the Armed Services which went right through Hostilities, after the war an attempt was made to re-introduce door to door sales but without much success as a different type of shopping was evolving,and it became more economical to "Shop" in the Shops. Strangely this took a long time to reach Cornwall where the old Family store was still thriving , and the high prices with it. We used to ride from Padstow to Plymouth to get the weekly Groceries Thank heavens the Supermarket now holds sway.    Bye   Dickie E................

Dickie E.

Re: Grooms baker
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2003, 10:01:07 AM »
Quote from: John Nunn
Oh yes I remember Grooms baker,he had a horse and van,our baker was called Jock.Grooms stables were on the end of Burnt Ash shops I lived in Keedonwood rd ,number 218, near Burnt Ash school,and as a boy would follow the marching bands around the streets on Sunday mornings.I spent many evenings on the step outside the tavern with a bag of crisp and arrowroot biscuit ,safe to do so in those days.I now live in Cornwall,St Austell (Quote). Can you remember the burnt Ash pupils and the famous ones like David Bowie ? Have a go at the "Bromley" Web,and " Bromley Portals *mind you I think our worlds are a decade or so apart    Dickie E.............

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Old playmates
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 04:23:14 AM »
:? Ok so this is a bit later than you guys 1950's I was just starting Secondary school in 56, still young, any case talking about Downham cries what about "King Edwards" guy selling spuds from a cart going around the street, then there was one of the ice cream guys may have been Antonioes " Lovely icee creamy lovely" in an italian accent. use to love a "99". Smiffy

Anonymous

Friends
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2003, 09:14:44 PM »
Just wondered where everybody is lately (with the exception of Dickie and Brenda). Have you all hibernated?  or am I missing something?

smiffy

• View Profile
    • Email
Old Playmates
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2003, 11:45:37 PM »
:lol: Old playmates reminds me of Arthur Askey"allo Playmates". Then when the show was over he would hold his nose & sink below the camera lens.  Not as good as Tommy Cooper of course, just like that or was it like that,   Two fish in a tank one says to the other I'll drive you man the guns, Ha Ha just like that. :roll: