Author Topic: MOVING TO FAR OFF PLACES  (Read 18326 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOVING TO FAR OFF PLACES
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
Yes Frank i know what you Boys did years ago on the road was heroic. Iv`e been at it for 25 years (would of got less for murder) I enjoyed it then but today i just do it to make pennies as they say. I have never had to change a tyre. JUST MAKE A PHONE CALL AN THEY COME OUT AND DO IT FOR YOU . Health and Safety rules now. But as long as i keep my health i`ve got 10 more years before i retire. Heres a thought for you ex-pats when you dream of a night and you remember it and it was centred in a place,was that in Oz or UK ?
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »
Thanks Chris, a coincidence with another Harry. That still leaves me looking for Harry Linihan & co. although I did manage the returned Anzac with two daughters still in UK., I'll check the Aus phone directories.    dickie .............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
retire?   worse thing I ever did ,  mind you that was in 1974 ,I do not know how I ever found time to work,and once retired you never get any holidays or days off         dickie.......................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 07:02:36 AM »
The way things are going i will only be able to afford to semi-retire, not like the people who caused my problem ie Banks and Mr Brown.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »

Heres a thought for you ex-pats when you dream of a night and you remember it and it was centred in a place,was that in Oz or UK ?
[/quote]

Oh my, what a pertinent question (note, I did not say 'impertinent!) You see, Splinter, I often dream of 'home'.  I will often be turning the corner into Durham Hill from - say - Woodbank Rd and see No 40 as it used to be.  I have often wept in my dreams just to see it.  I last dreamt of it a few nights ago (and yes, I invariably remember my dreams). I was in the kitchen and looked outside to see two elephants stepping over the back fences and walking down the road via the gardens. True! 

Another recurring dream is of waiting for the 124 bus at St Lawrence's, Catford but finding the bus-stops have changed or the buses go without me and I'm trying desperately to get home but can't.  Doesn't take much imagination to know what that represents, does it?

Lewisham pops up frequently too but is usually much changed from what I remember.

London also features quite frequently and in these dreams I am walking around recognising places such as St Paul's or train stations etc. People ask me where I'm from and I tell them "I used to live here" and then I get this really amazing feeling of knowing I am in the wrong place and I need to get back to Australia.  Again, doesn't take much imagination to know what all that is about.

I look forward to the dream experience of you other ex-pats.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »

Heres a thought for you ex-pats when you dream of a night and you remember it and it was centred in a place,was that in Oz or UK ?

Oh my, what a pertinent question (note, I did not say 'impertinent!) You see, Splinter, I often dream of 'home'.  I will often be turning the corner into Durham Hill from - say - Woodbank Rd and see No 40 as it used to be.  I have often wept in my dreams just to see it.  I last dreamt of it a few nights ago (and yes, I invariably remember my dreams). I was in the kitchen and looked outside to see two elephants stepping over the back fences and walking down the road via the gardens. True! 

Another recurring dream is of waiting for the 124 bus at St Lawrence's, Catford but finding the bus-stops have changed or the buses go without me and I'm trying desperately to get home but can't.  Doesn't take much imagination to know what that represents, does it?

Lewisham pops up frequently too but is usually much changed from what I remember.

London also features quite frequently and in these dreams I am walking around recognising places such as St Paul's or train stations etc. People ask me where I'm from and I tell them "I used to live here" and then I get this really amazing feeling of knowing I am in the wrong place and I need to get back to Australia.  Again, doesn't take much imagination to know what all that is about.

I look forward to the dream experience of you other ex-pats.

Bren
[/quote]

The only dream I have of England is actually a nightmare, where I am in England and I can't get back to Australia!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 04:27:42 PM »
I think i spent half my youth waiting for a 124 Bus and that was a nightmare.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 11:33:23 PM »
Blimey Dickie you retired in 1974!!! Thats 34 years ago Plus 65 Makes you 99 ?  Oh well just waiting for the Queens Telegram Then. Best Wishes.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »
I think i spent half my youth waiting for a 124 Bus and that was a nightmare.

I shall never forget waiting for a bus one very cold winter's night outside Lewisham Hospital.  Waited so long that when it came along, I was too cold to get moving fast enough to get on and it went without me.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »
In the days of London Transport, Buses only went on certain routes on the estate. It was Downham Way 36B and 141 and 124 for Northover, but now they go all over the estate and you don`t have to wait that long for them. So thats one improvement.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 09:10:50 PM »
Splint my old son I AM NOWHERE NEAR 99 cor  *!'@#& me....... I am a mere Youf    dickie...............X

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
In the days of London Transport, Buses only went on certain routes on the estate. It was Downham Way 36B and 141 and 124 for Northover, but now they go all over the estate and you don`t have to wait that long for them. So thats one improvement.

Yes indeed,  and that would have saved me the long walk to Bromley Road early on Sunday mornings to catch a bus to Lewisham Hospital because the service from Downham didn't start until later.

Anyone else remember when the 36B and  141 were Nos 69 and 179?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »

Yes indeed,  and that would have saved me the long walk to Bromley Road early on Sunday mornings to catch a bus to Lewisham Hospital because the service from Downham didn't start until later.

Anyone else remember when the 36B and  141 were Nos 69 and 179?

Bren
I'm afraid so Brenda. I remember waiting for one to come to take me down to Churchdown.  And if I missed one it would be quicker to go over Durham Hill than wait for another, which may come in 2 minutes, or half and hour.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »
Remember WHAT Bus ????, Bren Angel I used the No. 52 ,  54, or 72 & 74 trams or the 35 from the Marquis of Granby    dickie....................

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 02:54:35 PM »
It`s been so long since i caught a Bus i wouldn`t know what side of the road to stand on. When i was young my Nan lost me in Woolies in Catford i was about 4 then. The whole of Catford was searched by the Police everybody in a panic. The only child found was in Eltham Police Stn . Yes it was me, i lost Nan so went home on the 124 Bus i Knew where to get on the bus by the toilets in Catford but didn`t know where to get off so it took me to Eltham. I do remember i used to go downstairs on the bus (nan couldn`t get upstairs) and at the front behind the driver was a hump so i could stand on that and be able to look out. Silly what you remember isn`t it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:24:15 PM by Splinter »