Author Topic: Introduction by a Newbie  (Read 16271 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Introduction by a Newbie
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 05:28:37 AM »
Brenda was that the Carpenter Family who lived in Pendragon they moved to the house in Roundtable but on the corner of Pendragon.

I couldn't be sure where he lived, I'm afraid. He was a small but stocky lad.  I should put my class photo onto the site, shouldn't I?  Raymond is in it.  The other pupils from Pendragon Rd were Christine Valance, Mary Petrou, Sylvia Croft.  No doubt more but I can't remember.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 07:04:26 AM »
Brenda, I am sure that Birdie (Bill) mentioned the Carpenter`s to me when i went to see him. He has a photo of a gang of children taken on VE day in the front garden of a house in Pendragon. Its rude to ask a Lady her age but would you know any of them. Or even be in the photo ???
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 04:27:23 AM »
I have absolutely no objection to anyone knowing how old I am.  I was born in 1943 and don't have much in the way of memories prior to the end of 1946 when I was 3. 

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
I have absolutely no objection to anyone knowing how old I am.  I was born in 1943 and don't have much in the way of memories prior to the end of 1946 when I was 3. 

Bren

I've often wondered why some people are so funny about their age.  It's there, and there's not a lot you can do about it, unless of course you have the money for plastic surgery, even then you are still the same age.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
I have a friend who is manic about not divulging her age but always asks other people how old they are.  I simply don't understand this.  Even now, and in a nursing home with Parkinsons disease, I could see she was ready to kill her daughter when she revealed  - drum roll here - she was 82.  I would have thought that people knowing this would be the last of her worries!

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »
I too have no problems with anyones years BUT I draw a line to the "Wait till you get to my age "  Brigade who take pride in having gone to school with Noah, or were flying when Pontius was a Pilot.      How pleasant it is to be in the 21st. century.with everything it has to offer including computers without which we would be Sans "Downham Online " eh? couldn'tbear the thought of missing all you lovely people  (wheres Smudge these days, I hope all is well mate                dickie ...............
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:48:57 PM by Dickie eagle »
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:20 PM »
Yes Dickie, and those people who ask you to guess their age. Straightaway, you know they think they look younger than they do.  It's really cringeworthy, isn't it?

Oh my, having Downham Online is my first port of call when on the computer.  It continues to bring such pleasure as more and more people find the site.

Bren

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
'Evening All,
This is my third attempt to add to my few posts! Each time, just as I have got to the button pressing bit to post a long narrative, I've dropped off line! I live right at the end of a very long Broadband line and when all the kids come home from school and log on, I drop off. Hopefully, I'll get this one away before that happens again.
As I said last time, I will try to keep off the war experiences and write about the period just after in the mid to late 40s.
There was a lot of posts on trains and buses recently. I recall when it was still possible to get a 6d All Day tram ticket which allowed you to roam anywhere on the network. My brother and I would catch the tram at Northover, 54 for Victoria, 52 for Blackfriars or 74 for Victoria via Brockley. We'd change trams in London so that we could catch the one that went under Kingsway subway and do the whole of north London. With just a packet of sandwiches, the day was bliss! Like Splinter, I always stood at the front end of a bus lower saloon on the flywheel cover watching the driver's every move. I remember some of the adverts pasted at the front:
'A note from you
a call from us
the date is fixed no worry or fuss
a Pickford's van, a gentle giant
the work is finished a satisfied client'
Another about tea was '......... while poor Aunt Jane poured out pure rain, but Mother sees we've Co Op teas!'
'Knit with Emu and stop thinking about shrinking' was another.
A good day out was when a gang of us went to the Woolwich Free Ferry. We'd catch the 94 at Grove Park, change to the 75 at Lee Green and then on arrival at Woolwich spend the day toing and froing across the Thames. You could stand and look into the engine room - I remember that my favourite ferry boat was 'Will Crooks' Sometimes we'd wander into the housing estate on the other side of the water, but would beat a hasty retreat - the kids there were too tough for us.
Getting whippies on vehicles was another good game. When the 124 turned round at St Luke's we would jump on the platform and ride round, or at least until the conductor came down from changing the destination blind - no electronic signs then -  he'd shout 'Git ah't of it you bleeders!' and aim a swipe with his ticket rack. The United Dairies horse drawn cart used to turn round right at the bottom of Shroffold Road, near Bedivere Road, then old Gangster, the horse, would plod all the way back up right to the 'top, with Mac the milkman dozing on the seat. We could get a good long whippy on that! The South Suburban Dairy float and Grooms bread came in for the same treatment. If we saw any Dagonet Gardens kids on the back we'd shout 'Look be'ind guv'ner!' Old Mac would curse and shout at them throwing doubt on their legitimacy.
Elmstead Woods was good for a day out too. We'd walk 'dahn the Chinnie', (Chinbrook Park), through the big railway arch then up Portland Road to the woods. There we would race around all day playing the 'Shadow' or Robin Hood or something similar. Sometimes we would go by train. We knew there was no ticket collector at Elmstead Woods station so it was a matter of getting through at Grove Park for a buckshee ride. I had a couple of paper rounds with WH Smith in the station so most of the ticket collectors knew me. We would walk through with me talking loudly to my mates and making as if to go where the papers were made up then dashing down to the platform. Coming back was a bit tricky as there were few passengers so we'd wait on the platform until a London train came in and then mingle with the crowd of passengers and push through.
Some years later, when my brother was a railway man, I found out that all the collectors knew what we were up to - we were let through on the premise that boys will be boys!
A final tale: One day, me and a mate decided to go scrumping. We crossed the 'footie' by Reigate Road and crossed Baring Road to Coopers Lane. I had my Dad's brand new Hercules Roadster Bike and my mate had a 'racing bike with drop handlebars. Incidentally, the area of land near the footie which was all allotments, is now called 'Grove Park Nature Reserve', or something like that.
We parked our bikes in the kerb by a house with a big garden and went through a hole in the fence - a lot of fences had sufferred bomb blast damage - and started filling our pockets with apples. After a short while, to my horror I saw a policeman's helmet just above the fence top coming our way. We dashed out of the other side of the garden into the next road. Now we had the problem of getting our bikes back! We hit upon a strategy of wandering along the joining road shouting the name of a fictitious friend. When we got up to the rozzer we asked him if he had seen said friend? He looked down at us and said 'You.ve been scrumping, and that's stealing, if you go on that my lads you could end up in Greenwich Juvenile Court - now get your bikes from behind that fence and bugger off back to Downham'. We broke all records getting home. In a loose moment I told my Dad what had happened. He gave a cuff behind the ear!
That's all folks!
Regards,
Vic.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 10:53:57 PM »
Nice to hear back from you Vic. Wondered where you`d gone. You will have to tell the kids that you have important information to put on the net and can they stop using it until you have finished. I have the same trouble here. I have to on very early or late like now or when Eastenders is on. I really enjoy your stories, most of the things you did i got up to but a few years later. I think in my day to travel on a bus all day was called a "Red Rover", can`t remember how much but i could travel all over the place. Another place i went to was Hornimans Museum at Forest Hill went anywhere that was free. I also used to help by walking the donkeys at Blackheath, they were stabled in a field near the Dutch House Pub just behind the horse riding stables. I went passed Blackheath a couple of weeks ago and they still do rides there.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »
I was always sitting behind the driver and when I could not  I make a bee line for the top deck up front, In my teens we would  upset the driver by rubbing a matchstick under our shoes over his cab on the top deck, came unstuck a few times with getting chucked off and having to walk the rest of the way. I sold newspapers out side the "Splendid" for a while and ice cream on a bike type thing, calling out "Ice cream choc ice" around the Downham and Flower house Estates, and did a stint at Blackheath Fun shows with my ice cream bike. The one penny platform ticket was a good way to travel for near free, had some near misses with the ticket collectors. I also did a bit of time with BR before going into the army, a porter at Honour Oak Park Station, with an old school mate, Kenny Hackman, we had some fun catching people for not paying , we knew all the tricks. The Dutch House was a place to be in my Motor Cycle days (Rocker) the "mad mile" pass the pub around the bend and under the railway arch, you had to reach the 100mph to be a Dutch House King! but sadly a few lost their lives hitting the bridge. My Father worked for LT, Bromley Garage, so I also go into big trouble when it got back to him about me and mates unsetting the bus crews, its funny how I landed up driving buses here for 30 years, but the problems are more serious now, with some of the teens.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
Your anecdotes are hilarious!  I must say, you boys had far more adventures than I did.  What fun you had and how I enjoy reading about it all. Keep it coming.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »
Hello Frank. The problem was that most of the bikes couldn`t do a ton, the speedo might say it but in those days my 650 Bonnie wpould need a downhill a following wind and me crouch over the clip ons and burning my shin with the rearsets to get nearly 95MPH. As i said on a previous forum. My son in law had a Fireblade and frightened the life out of me, you know that it would do the speed limit in 2nd only had another 4 gears to go !!!! . I remember a bloke (didnt know him) hit the wall at Dutch House and he had a skid lid on. when it was taken off it killed him as half his head was split. Not nice thoughts now, he was older than me so would still be in his late 50`s. God we thought we were INVINCIBLE.

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 06:15:11 PM »
Bren, you mentioned St Lawrence Church in Rushey Green in one of your recent posts. On my visit last year I was amazed to see that it had gone! There's a huge block of flats on the site. If you Google Street View you will see them. You will also see that The Plaza Cinema on the opposite corner has gone. We had a very good choice of cinemas when I lived on Downham. There was, of course, the Splendid - long gone - The Gaumont Bromley, the Odeon Bromley, The Gaumont Lewisham, the Plaza at Catford, the Queen's at Catford and the Savoy at Lee Green. At the Splendid it was possible to bunk in at the side door if one of your number paid to go in and then 'accidentally' pushed on the panic bar bolt on the doors either side of the screen to let us creep in. We managed that a few times until the manager stood the usherettes in the way. I was sorry to note that the Hippodrome was no more. They had some very good acts there - I remember seeing Laurel and Hardy and Max Miller ( the Cheeky Chappie) there, and it was very cheap to go in the 'Gods'. After a performance we would go to the mobile snack bar which was between the tram junction on Catford Bridge Road right opposite the Black Horse pub and Timpson's garage and eat super dog sandwiches.
Incidentally,if you Street View Rushey Green you can travel up Sangley Road and then up Sandhurst Road hill and catch up a 124 bus!
Recalling Blackheath, we used to go up there when the fair was on, mostly over bank holidays. I remember when we were riding the dodgems and one of the staff jumped on the back to collect payment. We gave him a ten shilling note and no change was forthcoming. We waited until he was back in the little box at the side of the track and then surrounded it - there must have been ten of us. The threat to turn him over produced the required change. We beat it before he got more of the fairground hands to come and sort us out!
I notice from the estate agents' ads on Downham that a two bedroomed flat may be rented for 185 per week! At 17 Merlin, my Father paid 17/- per week for a 3 bedroomed flat. Mind you, he earned only about 4 10s a week! How times have changed. The rent had to be presented , with rent book, at the estate office in Northover. There was often a long queue whilst someone in front wrangled over why they hadn't paid for a couple of weeks. (Just called away for a few minutes to see Harold, in Neighbours, leave Ramsey Street for the last time).
It's the first day of summer in the UK today - you wouldn't think so as it is still quite cool and has been very wet!
'bye for now,
Vic.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 06:01:16 AM »
First time I ever did more than a "Ton up" I was petrified,but as it was an amphibian with a top speed of 95 knots  ( roughly 105 m.p.h) after a while it was obvious we weren't exactly all that speedy. most bikes seemed to be around 75 with a following wind  dickie.............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 03:10:09 PM »
Blimey!!! What boat does 105MPH. Your Surname isn`t Cambell or Seagrave by any Chance. St Lawrences Church has moved to Bromley Road near to where the Double decker Bus Toppled over. Where it used to be is now Lewisham Council Offices and their Car Park.