Author Topic: Introduction by a Newbie  (Read 16161 times)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Introduction by a Newbie
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 05:18:13 AM »
sorry splint didn't mean to confuse, just a speed comparison. The amphibian in question is the lovely "Supermarine "Sea Otter" which I think is in the Phot. gallery I could put some more in. Incidently at the Boot Fair at Denham yesterday I met an interesting character who resurrects old bikes and spent his time advertising for old bits & pieces of bikes he had just finished a lovely old 1912 sguare tank thing that looked like a Flying Squirrel           dickie...................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »
Was the Sea Otter built in Southampton or Isle of Wight. My Uncle worked for them in Southampton Before and during the War.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
 The Supermarine "Sea Otter " was the successor to the older "Walrus " ( aka " Shagbat " as it was more cmmonly known .). Most of them were, as your dad said, built in Southampton. they carried a crew of three, had Scarte mountinge fore and aft to facilitate machine guns for self protection, and had light series bomb racks under the lower wings port and starboard plus a bed stretcher, they came into their ownas Air/Sea rescue aircraft      dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »
Thank you for that bit of info Dickie. It was my Uncle who worked there, then during the war due to bombing it was moved to Salisbury, where he met my Aunt. My Dad was in the Royal Navy during the war, he was on HMS Rodney for a while and was there during the sinking of the Bismark and then he was posted to U.S.A.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
Bren, you mentioned St Lawrence Church in Rushey Green in one of your recent posts. On my visit last year I was amazed to see that it had gone! There's a huge block of flats on the site. If you Google Street View you will see them. You will also see that The Plaza Cinema on the opposite corner has gone. We had a very good choice of cinemas when I lived on Downham. There was, of course, the Splendid - long gone - The Gaumont Bromley, the Odeon Bromley, The Gaumont Lewisham, the Plaza at Catford, the Queen's at Catford and the Savoy at Lee Green. At the Splendid it was possible to bunk in at the side door if one of your number paid to go in and then 'accidentally' pushed on the panic bar bolt on the doors either side of the screen to let us creep in. We managed that a few times until the manager stood the usherettes in the way. I was sorry to note that the Hippodrome was no more. They had some very good acts there - I remember seeing Laurel and Hardy and Max Miller ( the Cheeky Chappie) there, and it was very cheap to go in the 'Gods'. After a performance we would go to the mobile snack bar which was between the tram junction on Catford Bridge Road right opposite the Black Horse pub and Timpson's garage and eat super dog sandwiches.
Incidentally,if you Street View Rushey Green you can travel up Sangley Road and then up Sandhurst Road hill and catch up a 124 bus!
Recalling Blackheath, we used to go up there when the fair was on, mostly over bank holidays. I remember when we were riding the dodgems and one of the staff jumped on the back to collect payment. We gave him a ten shilling note and no change was forthcoming. We waited until he was back in the little box at the side of the track and then surrounded it - there must have been ten of us. The threat to turn him over produced the required change. We beat it before he got more of the fairground hands to come and sort us out!
I notice from the estate agents' ads on Downham that a two bedroomed flat may be rented for 185 per week! At 17 Merlin, my Father paid 17/- per week for a 3 bedroomed flat. Mind you, he earned only about 4 10s a week! How times have changed. The rent had to be presented , with rent book, at the estate office in Northover. There was often a long queue whilst someone in front wrangled over why they hadn't paid for a couple of weeks. (Just called away for a few minutes to see Harold, in Neighbours, leave Ramsey Street for the last time).
It's the first day of summer in the UK today - you wouldn't think so as it is still quite cool and has been very wet!
'bye for now,
Vic.

My daughter was christened at St Lawrences.
I well remember the rent office, and the queues, and of course being but a small child I was a whining nuisance as my Mum waited to pay.
We used to go away to Kessingland holiday camp by Timpsons Coaches, what a wonderful place that huge garage was to a young child.  What is there now?
What about the REX (?) cinema in Lewisham across the stream near Cheismans. Took my daughter to see Jungle Book there, what a waste of money, she spent most of the movie trying to hide in my pregnant lap!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
have to start a new thread,my apologies, on May 8th. ,VE Day, and my Mums Birthday ,she would have been 103 ! and this year on Friday May 8th I and my wife Dorothy will be attending St. Paul's Cathedral to celebrate 100 years of Naval Flying  . lunch at the Guildhall afterwards and if any of you are attending and please if you would introduce yourselves     dickie....................

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »
have to start a new thread,my apologies, on May 8th. ,VE Day, and my Mums Birthday ,she would have been 103 ! and this year on Friday May 8th I and my wife Dorothy will be attending St. Paul's Cathedral to celebrate 100 years of Naval Flying  . lunch at the Guildhall afterwards and if any of you are attending and please if you would introduce yourselves     dickie....................

You have reminded me, Dickie, that it is nearly my late father's centenary.  He only lived for just over half of that, sadly. 
Do hope you have a wonderful time at St Paul's and Guildhall.  Are you going to put a lovely photograph on the site?
Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 11:20:05 PM »
Hope you have a lovely time there Dickie. As i stated before although Dad was in the Navy my family was into Aircraft design and then went on to build them. My Great Uncle designed the SE5A from the first War then went on to the Gloster Gladiator and his son Started his own Aircraft Company and they Designed and built the planes the the Red Arrows First used The GNAT T1 Trainer OH!! by the way my surname is Folland.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 02:45:24 AM »

You have reminded me, Dickie, that it is nearly my late father's centenary.  He only lived for just over half of that, sadly. 
Do hope you have a wonderful time at St Paul's and Guildhall.  Are you going to put a lovely photograph on the site?
Bren

My dad would be 106 on June 4th.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.