Author Topic: the bomb in Pendragon Road  (Read 69584 times)

birdie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: the bomb in Pendragon Road
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
First of all""" HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULINE"""you are just a chick to me haha ime now 79...but as we all know AGE is just a number isnt it???
Dikie yes all the eagle boats were all GSN boats including the Crested eagle ((Sunk at Dunkique) another was the ...Golden Eagle ..Royal Eagle ...Royal Daffodill...to name a few ... Yes  the General steam nav co were just outside the lower pool south side of the river..the moorings were called((Irion Gate Wharf ))the boat that came in regularly there was the  "Comerant "and in Saint Cathrines dock most or thw small Dutch boats went in there .they brought over lots of salad stuff tomatoes cucumbers Lettuce etc...one of our Tug boats was hit with two crews changing over by a doodle bug 1943 the tug was called the"" ST Betty""My skipper was an old sailing craft skipper and he was brilliant Boatman but colour blind and use to call down the talk tube and say  ..Bill come up here and tell me what colour this  F/ing light is (Honest))..he was a danger to us all hahaha the main craft we attended was the Red sail coastal sailing barges  mainly from Ipswitch??.with just one man and a dog on them or perhaps a lad about 14 years as well ..Tell you some lore latter Dickie haha Take care Bill

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 01:42:07 PM »
Bill. Brenda will love this one , you mentioned the "Iron Gate at Tower Bridge, wasn't that Thai Portcullis on the Tower side  ( better known as "Traitors Gate " ? )Our office was St. Katherines dock on the north side mind you I was happier once we passed the Nore lightship going out, or the Brunswick  (Canada wharf ) coming back , they used to open the swing bridge at eleven at night                                                                                                                  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:52:49 AM by Dickie eagle »
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »
Does any one remember the Sandhurst road School Getting bombed..It happend about 1.PM dinner time just a lone German plane flying just over the roof height Machine gunning several schools he then dropped one bomb in Harrises steam roller yard in Sangly road and then dropped another on the school..i can remember going down on my cycle to help hand pick the bricks away to get to the children out, with my dad i must have been 13 or 14 years old If you look in the cemetery Verdernt lane ,they have the children and teachers grave in there..even the cemetery had a V2 rocket hit it to..and it blew out lots of graves, and stones fell over several houses and garden etc..when the bombing was heavy i use to go and sleep in Chislehurst caves..that was good fun for me.Bit damp but ok..(( Just tell me if i bore you folks..))... Bill ...
I did not move to Downham till after the war, I was in Leeds for some of the war then lived in Palace Rd Bromley, and spent a lot of time at Chislehurst Caves, my Parents lived in Downham from Downhams early Days, Dad in Downham Way and Mum Verdent Lane(Hutchison/Collinson Families) Chislehurst Caves was great in my teens, being a trad fan, Acker Bilk etc, All I remember about the war years is getting off the train from Leeds and being scared of aircraft, Both Mum and Dad were in the RAF, well untill I came along the mum had other duties?
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

birdie

• View Profile
    • Email
re collections
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 08:30:55 AM »
Hiya folks ..i now live in Surrey.and we get all  our collections collected every week (regularly)So pretty lucky i think ,But out roads are very bad and need a lot of work done on them.. so it appears they do good on a few bits and skimp on others ... But i think Splinter has a point there  saying bring back poll Tax ... My wife and myself are now getting old and living still with only 2 of us  in our 3 bedroomed house and we are paying 1300.+for the two of us ..So Poll Tax would be good for us also..((Good thought Splinter..)) Got you down as Prime minister for next election..((And god help you if you forget i was a friend of you nan and grandad also you mum  )) Take care folks.. best of luck from (Birdie ) Bill

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »
Billy Starling, Dahnum was an Aviary when you consider that with me and John Hawks in Ivorydown, Chrissie Sparrowhawk in Churchdown Jim Wren in (yes) Wrenthorpe,Joan Drake in Launcelot,plus The Swans, cor stone the Crows who were near St Barnabas,plus Alan Kite ! ! !  any more birds out there? Apart from that I did my first Car Boot of the year at Ascot and did well , it's all part of the "Black economy " folk. Another thought also do our MP's have to join the MU (Musicians Union ) ? as they are always on the Fiddle. Keep up the pressure and at the next election do not vote for them plus NO SCOTS in a London parliament as they can have a scottish constituency that Brits cant have according to my Scots friends ,that way we can get rid of the worst - including Brown and Mr. Speaker. And after a few years in Parliament they will doubtless award themselves with enormous pensionable rights. It could be easier to shoot the Bloody lot eh ?               dickie......................... P,S, I got out of the wrong side of the bed too ........
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »
Hello Bill. Good to see that you are better. Please dont make me PM. Some of the things i would do would not be popular. Although i am not a fanatic of the French atleast they look after there own and its about time that we stopped trying to be all things to all people. I think what i will do is after a little thought i will put forward a manifesto. BUT WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO HERE ARE IDEAS FROM ALL OF YOU . Please keep it clean i know that you are sorly tempted. Perhaps its just a way of letting off steam. But my first part would to sack 400 MP`s. They are not all needed this day and age ,as most of our Laws are made in EU ? That would save a few Million. Then only get to vote for People who know what they are talking about. And . This is the big one " All MP`s are Independant ie NO political Parties". This way they would spend their time doing things NOT talking about doing them and then going back on it because they have to toe the line. Would love to hear your ideas.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »
Hello Bill. Good to see that you are better. Please dont make me PM. Some of the things i would do would not be popular. Although i am not a fanatic of the French atleast they look after there own and its about time that we stopped trying to be all things to all people. I think what i will do is after a little thought i will put forward a manifesto. BUT WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO HERE ARE IDEAS FROM ALL OF YOU . Please keep it clean i know that you are sorly tempted. Perhaps its just a way of letting off steam. But my first part would to sack 400 MP`s. They are not all needed this day and age ,as most of our Laws are made in EU ? That would save a few Million. Then only get to vote for People who know what they are talking about. And . This is the big one " All MP`s are Independant ie NO political Parties". This way they would spend their time doing things NOT talking about doing them and then going back on it because they have to toe the line. Would love to hear your ideas.
Splinter - think they should all first come clean about their expenses and try to be honest in what they are claiming.  We talk about other countries having corrupt governments but seems to me we have a problem with our own.  As for Euro MP's - if we believe what we read in the papers - they are doing even better!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »
I think if all MP`S and MEP`S were self employed, they could only claim expenses that they occured and a milage allowance. So when they want your vote they also put in a tender to do the job as well, that way the voters could see if they could be afforded and if they went above the tender for no good reason they could be sacked. Now that would stop us being taken for a ride. Also if she was sharing the house with her sister , why did she claim for a whole bath plug it should of been only half a plug. If i claimed expenses that were doggy the Tax Man would come down on me and not only would i have to pay it back but i would get a fine. I can`t see that happening to our DEAR (expensive) MP`S.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 01:21:13 AM »
I think if all MP`S and MEP`S were self employed, they could only claim expenses that they occured and a milage allowance. So when they want your vote they also put in a tender to do the job as well, that way the voters could see if they could be afforded and if they went above the tender for no good reason they could be sacked. Now that would stop us being taken for a ride. Also if she was sharing the house with her sister , why did she claim for a whole bath plug it should of been only half a plug. If i claimed expenses that were doggy the Tax Man would come down on me and not only would i have to pay it back but i would get a fine. I can`t see that happening to our DEAR (expensive) MP`S.

I am sure that those people who established the 'Westminster' system of Parliament in the 13th century would not recognise it today.  The idea was that 'we' would choose 'someone' (MP) from our area (constituency), and they would go to Parliament and tell them what we wanted, and try to get it for us.  I don't see any resemblance to that in todays Parliament, either here in Australia (we are supposed to follow the 'Westminster' system) or in the UK.  I remember many years ago before I came downunder, an MP was reminded of this procedure, and his comment was that the ordinary people don't know what's good for them, and the MPs have to decide on our behalf!!!!!  I also recall that MPs were only paid expenses, of course all that has now changed.
And - Brenda and Hutchsky - I cannot for the life of me understand the point of this 'preferential voting' we have here in Australia, what a load of Bollocks that is!  At least in the UK it's 'first man/woman past the post', I can understand that, but to go to the polling station and have to get an instruction sheet on who to vote for to get your party into Parliament is just ridiculous.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »
We have that type of voting for MEP`S, IE euro. I haven`t got a clue who i`m voting for half the time. I think its to pull the wool over our eyes. I think i might start a new forum to see if i could be elected, the only problem is i wouldn`t know if i had won. THE OTHER IS THAT I MIGHT NEED A FEW MORE VOTES THAN WHO`S ONLINE. But you never know.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 02:08:07 AM »
We have that type of voting for MEP`S, IE euro. I haven`t got a clue who i`m voting for half the time. I think its to pull the wool over our eyes. I think i might start a new forum to see if i could be elected, the only problem is i wouldn`t know if i had won. THE OTHER IS THAT I MIGHT NEED A FEW MORE VOTES THAN WHO`S ONLINE. But you never know.

The other significant fact is that here in Australia we hae to vote, it's compulsory, and we get fined if we don't.  Not that the fine is exhorbitant.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 06:37:46 AM »
I think that they should put an extra box on the voting form stating "None of the above, cause their all useless".

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »
I think that they should put an extra box on the voting form stating "None of the above, cause their all useless".
Now I like That!
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »
Nice to meet you, Bill, keep the anecdotes coming. Dickie is right. I love it all these trips down Memory Lane.  And don't worry, you won't be boring anyone.

My mother remembers the school bombing incident well.  We lived in a top floor flat in  Crutchley Rd (just off Verdant Lane) during the war and she remembers the low flying plane that came over so low she always said she could see the pilot.  I used to wonder about this but having read other people's accounts, it seems she wasn't exaggerating.  She also said that when the cemetery was bombed, a few body parts were scattered about.  Someone nearby found an arm in her garden.

I'm just a bit too young to have any war memories (born at the end of '43) but I am sure my fear of loud noises comes from that period.

Bren 

Robert

• View Profile
sandhurst road school
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 08:55:06 PM »
Does any one remember the Sandhurst road School Getting bombed..It happend about 1.PM dinner time just a lone German plane flying just over the roof height Machine gunning several schools he then dropped one bomb in Harrises steam roller yard in Sangly road and then dropped another on the school..i can remember going down on my cycle to help hand pick the bricks away to get to the children out, with my dad i must have been 13 or 14 years old If you look in the cemetery Verdernt lane ,they have the children and teachers grave in there..even the cemetery had a V2 rocket hit it to..and it blew out lots of graves, and stones fell over several houses and garden etc..when the bombing was heavy i use to go and sleep in Chislehurst caves..that was good fun for me.Bit damp but ok..(( Just tell me if i bore you folks..))... Bill ...
I did not move to Downham till after the war, I was in Leeds for some of the war then lived in Palace Rd Bromley, and spent a lot of time at Chislehurst Caves, my Parents lived in Downham from Downhams early Days, Dad in Downham Way and Mum Verdent Lane(Hutchison/Collinson Families) Chislehurst Caves was great in my teens, being a trad fan, Acker Bilk etc, All I remember about the war years is getting off the train from Leeds and being scared of aircraft, Both Mum and Dad were in the RAF, well untill I came along the mum had other duties?