Author Topic: the bomb in Pendragon Road  (Read 69599 times)

birdie

• View Profile
    • Email
the bomb in Pendragon Road
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:19:25 PM »
Hiya folks...I am also new to this site my family were moved from Bermondsey as we lived right close to  the timber yard  area in the  Surrey Docks (down town )  When the war started They moved us  to Downham in September 1939.. We moved into 25 Pendragon Road Familey name ( Starling) as soon as the |Blitz started a bomb dropped in the Back garden of 33 Pedrgon Road (( a one thousand pounder)) and it didnt explode ...Boy did we  leave the house quick too.. they sent the bomb disposal squad in and done a controled exposion about a week latter... all our dividing bedroom walls were blown out also a few windows ..My age now is 79 .. i wonder if anyone remembers me (Bill Starling) If so i would love to hear from you Bye Now
      ... Bill ...

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the bomb in Pendragon Road
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »
Nice to have you on site Bill. Either open a new forum or go on general discussion which we all seem to be on . I`ve had a lovely night . Nice meal a few drinks (not to much) family and friends. Wish you lived nearer. GOD I`M GETTING OLD> 55 TODAY EH!!!!!! John.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:59:49 AM »
Nice to have you on site Bill. Either open a new forum or go on general discussion which we all seem to be on . I`ve had a lovely night . Nice meal a few drinks (not to much) family and friends. Wish you lived nearer. GOD I`M GETTING OLD> 55 TODAY EH!!!!!! John.

Hi Bill - good to hear from you.  It's really so lovely when we get new members who actually do post messages, we get to hear different stories, and whole new threads start.

BTW I'm 65 tomorrow 8th April.  Us Aries are good old folks. Not thinking of retiring just yet - I think I would go mad.

There was a bomb that dropped at the end of Geratint Road, in Ivorydown, and it did explode.  Apparently it blew in all our windows, and glass became embedded in Mums piano - she was so cross - took it personal.  Diid a lot of damage to our house, and we had to take up temporary lodgings in Moorside until it was fixed.  Mum hated Moorside because there were 4 steps down to the house, and there was me in my pram!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:22:42 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAULINE!!!!!  :) Us aries are wonderful folk. Have a good day.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

birdie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »
Does any one remember the Sandhurst road School Getting bombed..It happend about 1.PM dinner time just a lone german plane flying just over the roof height Machine gunning several schools he then dropped one bomb in Harrises steam roller yard in Sangly road and then dropped another on the school..i can remember going down on my cycle to help hand pick the bricks away to get to the children out, with my dad i must have been 13 or 14 years old If you look in the cemertary Verdernt lane ,they have the children and teachers grave in there..even the cemertary had a V2 rocket hit it to..and it blew out lots of graves, and stones fell over several houses and garden etc..when the bombing was heavy i use to go and sleep in Chislehurst caves..that was good fun for me.Bit damp but ok..(( Just tell me if i bore you folks..))... Bill ...

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »
Does any one remember the Sandhurst road School Getting bombed..It happend about 1.PM dinner time just a lone german plane flying just over the roof height Machine gunning several schools he then dropped one bomb in Harrises steam roller yard in Sangly road and then dropped another on the school..i can remember going down on my cycle to help hand pick the bricks away to get to the children out, with my dad i must have been 13 or 14 years old If you look in the cemertary Verdernt lane ,they have the children and teachers grave in there..even the cemertary had a V2 rocket hit it to..and it blew out lots of graves, and stones fell over several houses and garden etc..when the bombing was heavy i use to go and sleep in Chislehurst caves..that was good fun for me.Bit damp but ok..(( Just tell me if i bore you folks..))... Bill ...
Is this the Torridon Road bombing?  My Dad always got very angry when we passed that school.  Said a lot of words I wasn't supposed to hear.

We used to visit Chislehurst caves when I was a teenager, still very damp, and a bit creepy.  We also went to Keston Ponds. Got the green bus from Bromley North.  I must have been about 12 or 13.  I'm sure that todays parents would never let their children go that far alone.

My Pete always refers to the bomb sites as 'adventure playgrounds'.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »
My parents were lucky enough to have been evacuated to Reading during the war - think because my dad was a riveter in the aircraft industry (Fairey Aviation think was the name).  I remember being told about the bomb that hit the school when I was older and visited the memorial site just after my father's funeral.  It certainly brought home just how much my parents and the children of those times went through. Cannot believe we are now coming up to the 65th anniversary of D Day - so we baby-boomers are now all retirees (or nearly) and most of our parents are long gone - although my in-laws are still around and my father-in-law (ex-navy) has still got his memories of D Day and being off shore at Arromanches running messages up and down the fleet in his little boat.  He tells me he was a 'pirate' during the war - chasing 'E' boats and sending them to watery graves (one of which got him the DSM from the King). Sorry - gone completely off the subject - but wish all birthday people a very happy one - my 65th comes up in August and will definitely celebrate with a glass or three.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »
 getting OLD mate ? keep thinking that way and you will. I am just marking time for the next 20 years before carrying on with the count. I remember hearing about the Doodle bugs and we thought they were like the Jap Kamikazes, pity they didn't think of dropping a nuclear weapon on Berlin though. Lets move on to a cheerful  subject ,  ..................  dickie
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
 I am trying to visualise the Starlings we knew, and the name "Chrissie" comes to mind she had some brothers    who would be around in thier late 80's to mid- 90,s by now.they were from around the Brunswick Yard of the Surrey Docks area of Rotherhithe            dickie..........................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:36:29 PM »
I remember the Sandhurst Road School bombing. I was at Ballamore Road School, upstairs in the hall having dinner. We heard the aircraft coming - there were four of them - and the teacher on duty told us all to get under the tables - quickly! There had been no siren warning, the raid was a complete surprise - even the barrage ballooons were down - they were supposed to stop that sort of raid. The teacher was right to assume that the aeroplanes were unfriendly! Everyone in the area was very angry about the event, but on later reflection I am sure that the Luftwaffe fighter bombers intended to hit Hither Green railway sidings. They were travelling at around 400 mph so a few seconds error in sighting could have caused the tragic bombing of the school. I remember that they also strafed Sydenham Gas Works and set a gas holder on fire. I believe that my first teacher in the Ballamore Infants School in 1935, a Miss Jukes, was killed at Sandhurst Road with other teachers and many children. At the time of the bombing I lived at 17 Merlin Gardens, having been born in Ballamore Road in 1931 and moved to Merlin Gardens in 1935. My elder brother Stanley, was killed at Forest Hill in 1940 in an air raid, just at the end of the Battle of Britain, on my father's birthday, and is buried in Hither Green Cemetery next to the Sandhurst Road School victims. Incidentally, I told some of the children in Merlin School (was Ballamore Road) about the bombing of Sandhurst Road School when I visited Downham, and the school of course, last year. I now live many miles from Downham having left there in 1949 to join the RAF where I served for 34 years, but I do look back to my childhood there with great nostalgia. Most of my mates of those times have passed on, but I am still in touch with one who used to live in Durham Hill.   

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »
If you look at all the houses at the top of Pendragon they still have cracks on the outside walls normally between the top of the door to the bottom of the upstairs window. When they did the controlled explosion. The blast hit the back of my house went through the gap of end of terrace and hit the houses opposite. When next door as buying his house his surveyor thought that all the houses had subsidence, until i put him right and said its been like it for over 60 years and they will be OK for another 60. Thats a pondering thought. The estate will still be around when all of us will have wings. Hopefully this site will still be going, witha lot more Nubies.

birdie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »
Hiya Dickie... Yes there were seveal Starling familys.. as my dads family were all living in the area and he had about 13 brothers and sisters ..we lived at Amos Estate and my nan  lived in Lavender house.we were all Bermonsey folks .. some working in the docks and when i left school i went onto the tugboats . was on the SteamTug Viper ...ST Muska....STAbomba...and ST Vespa.. this was 1944 when i left school..the St Viper was the Tower Bridge Tug and we use to bring any big boats through the bridge and it was the only Tug on the river with a very thick steel Wheel House roof (Bullet Proof)this Tug worked through all the air raids..just after the war we use to watch the Eagle steamers  ((General Steam Navigation Boats))going out and returning at night from day trips to Southeend and Margate and Ramsgate etc..I bet a lot of the Downham folks were on them at time too haha..I met my wife Lily when going ashore off Tower pier we were both 16 and we married at 18 on Christmas day 1948 by this time i was called up for the Army and this year Celibrated our Diamond 60th Annerversary Last Christmas 2008 (got our Queens Letter to haha) ..
                                                Take care Dickie

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
Hi "Birdie", I used to live in No2 Tower Bridge Rd,. which was convenient as my first ship was the Pocock,which was of the General Steamship Co.. I didnt know the Golden and Crested Eagle paddleboate were GCNCo.Most of their vessels had names ending in "cock" (Pocock, Twocock etc)and the head office and mooring was just under Tower Bridge in St, Katherine's Dock. they were the O'connel,who were related to my Grandfather (Linihan)         werent the Tugs part of the PLA too? There were quite a few Eagle's in Bermondsey            dickie...........

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »
Hi "Birdie", I used to live in No2 Tower Bridge Rd,.

My Gran worked in Barrow Hepburn and Gale a leather goods place which was situated in Grange Road, which I believe was just off of Tower Bridge Road.  She lived in Walworth, first Darwin Buildings in Crail Row, then Tatum Street, which I don't think is there any more.  She would pay into a Christmas Club in Searles (or something like that). 

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »
Hi "Birdie", I used to live in No2 Tower Bridge Rd,. which was convenient as my first ship was the Pocock,which was of the General Steam Navigation  Co.. I didnt know the Golden and Crested Eagle paddleboate were GSNCo.Most of their vessels had names ending in "cock" (Pocock, Twocock etc)and the head office and mooring was just under Tower Bridge in St, Katherine's Dock. they were the O'connel,who were related to my Grandfather (Linihan)         werent the Tugs part of the PLA too? There were quite a few Eagle's in Bermondsey            dickie...........