Author Topic: Life on DOWNHAM  (Read 20784 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Life on DOWNHAM
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:08 AM »
Yes, unless you've lived it and all that. 

Never had central heating anywhere I've lived actually.  I know my friends in England can't imagine being without it now and I suppose had we been living there still, we'd have it. I like to 'see' the heat though and don't like heat blowing out and on to me.

Oh, how fussy I am! 

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 07:01:58 AM »
Yes, unless you've lived it and all that. 

Never had central heating anywhere I've lived actually.  I know my friends in England can't imagine being without it now and I suppose had we been living there still, we'd have it. I like to 'see' the heat though and don't like heat blowing out and on to me.

Oh, how fussy I am! 

We had radiators and a gas fire in England.  When we came here we had no heating at all, and made do with rugs.  But when we built our house we decided we would have radiators, but the firm went out of business (wonder why?). So we now have reverse cycle, but usually only use the log fire, although we are being asked not to.  But with all those dead banksias why wouldn't you?  I do have an electric blanket for my old arthritic bones.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
Please !!!! What is a reverse cycle (are you on a bike going backwards( only kidding) ) I would love to know.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 04:18:20 AM »
Please !!!! What is a reverse cycle (are you on a bike going backwards( only kidding) ) I would love to know.
Its an Air-Con with Hot and cold settings, we have a lot of these in OZ, just had one fitted to our new built room and that also is a split system, the fan etc on the out side and the rest inside, they work well.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »
Oh dear, forget the all important 'air conditioner' didn't I?  Hutch described it perfectly.

Love the thought of pedalling furiously backwards though.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »
Hi all. Well iv`e got to the 1970`s and i think this is when the Estate really started to change. Although we bought our house looking back it might of been a bad idea to sell the houses. People stayed in the area for long periods of time, so you got to know them. By the mid 1970`s the houses were being bought and sold on a regular basis so nobody stayed for a long time. Next door No 25 has had five owners to my Knowledge over the last 20 years. The other thing is that there are not so many children about now. Perhaps the houses are to small now for a family. When my Nan first moved into Pendragon in 1935 it was 2 Adults and 4 Children, the house looks a bit small for that now. Speak to you all soon HAPPY EASTER TO ALL . John
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 05:32:52 AM »
I'm afraid children are horrified at the thought of actually having to share a room these days, aren't they?  It's no wonder people get into trouble with their huge mortgages: they simply aren't willing to do without the extras e.g. en suite, rumpus room and all that stuff.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:13 AM »
I`m still doing without them now !! I`d love a rumpus room (whatever it is ) could do wonders for the Love life

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
 sorry I'm cutting in John, er, Chris I sent you a missive re. "Uncle Harry" did you recieve it,pl.contact       dickie............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 09:44:13 AM »

[/quote]
sorry I'm cutting in John, er, Chris I sent you a missive re. "Uncle Harry" did you recieve it,pl.contact       dickie............

Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
I'm afraid children are horrified at the thought of actually having to share a room these days, aren't they?  It's no wonder people get into trouble with their huge mortgages: they simply aren't willing to do without the extras e.g. en suite, rumpus room and all that stuff.

Bren
Well we have an en suite Bren - but a 'rumpus room' - think I'll not mention that one to Stuart! Do you have one may I ask?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 03:34:39 AM »

Bren
Well we have an en suite Bren - but a 'rumpus room' - think I'll not mention that one to Stuart! Do you have one may I ask?

I don't think we call them rumpus rooms now do we?  I think they are family rooms or acctivity rooms.  Not to mention the "Home Theatre room".  Pete's boss has a home theare room, with a huge TV screen that takes up the whole wall, but the room is only about 6 metres deep, so I would imagine watching it would be quite painful.  But some people have to have the biggest and the best.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 04:23:10 AM »
No Chris - no ensuite and no family room per se.  Yes, I think 'rumpus room' is an American term and for that I apologise profusely. 

Our youngest daughter's last house had the 'media room' and just about everything else it was possible to have. We only saw it just before completion and it looked the size of a whole block of houses on Downham.  You could have held a ball in the master bedroom. Oh, and there was also an extra kitchen so when they had a barbecue, they didn't have to use the main kitchen.

Say no more ....
Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
As i stated i got to the 1970`s. This is when many people bought, they did the houses up added extensions. The gardens turned i`m afraid into a parking place.( Going back the council used to give certificates for the best kept gardens my Dad got a few). The council also stopped things like Playcentre and doing things for the kids in School Holidays in the local Parks and then moan when due to boredom they got into trouble. You wonder where all the money went that we gave the council. They had less money in the 50`s and 60`s but they cut privets, redecorated your house. Swept the roads. Weekly bin collection and would take anything as they towed a cart behind the bin lorry for large items, but these days they get 10 times the money for 10 times less the service.( Sorry about that moan its a pet hate of mine). Are things in OZ any better on that front?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 03:12:32 AM »
As i stated i got to the 1970`s. This is when many people bought, they did the houses up added extensions. The gardens turned i`m afraid into a parking place.( Going back the council used to give certificates for the best kept gardens my Dad got a few). The council also stopped things like Playcentre and doing things for the kids in School Holidays in the local Parks and then moan when due to boredom they got into trouble. You wonder where all the money went that we gave the council. They had less money in the 50`s and 60`s but they cut privets, redecorated your house. Swept the roads. Weekly bin collection and would take anything as they towed a cart behind the bin lorry for large items, but these days they get 10 times the money for 10 times less the service.( Sorry about that moan its a pet hate of mine). Are things in OZ any better on that front?

I was talking to Australian born and bred friends, and they tell me that they NEVER had school dinners, they just weren't available.  Then I told them of holiday school care for Mums that worked, and that we could still get our school dinners during the holidays - I never did, my mum worked from home.  They were amazed.  I guess Aussie Mums stayed home, seemed a different lifestyle then from England. I only came here in 1988 and it seemed backward then, but had caught up in a real hurry, I guess things were a real shock to you when you came Brenda?