Author Topic: Wanted Down Under  (Read 3886 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Wanted Down Under
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
We have a TV Programme on in the UK where they take a family to either Oz or NZ and show them what life could be like there. First its housing, Then work and then shopping and prices and lastly the quality of life. Now although it was filmed nearly 12 months ago i was supprised on the cost of houses i would say now nearly on a par with us although the houses were a little larger. But the wages were at least 20% lower than us and food and drink only slightly cheaper is this correct.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Wanted Down Under
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 06:37:41 AM »
We have a TV Programme on in the UK where they take a family to either Oz or NZ and show them what life could be like there. First its housing, Then work and then shopping and prices and lastly the quality of life. Now although it was filmed nearly 12 months ago i was supprised on the cost of houses i would say now nearly on a par with us although the houses were a little larger. But the wages were at least 20% lower than us and food and drink only slightly cheaper is this correct.
When I was last in UK in 2006, I was horrified at the prices of food.  The only clothing that seemed reasonably priced was in Primart, M&S are just too expensive now and I used to shop there all the time.  When Chris from Essex comes here she shows me clothes she bought from M&S and says "It was ONLY 30"  Yikes, thats over $70!  They bring a half filled suitcase and buy loads of stuff here and take it back with them. House prices in Perth have gone up recently, but we seem to have more people choosing to come here.  Houses are much bigger and no two are the same. Petrol is cheaper here, we pay in dollars what you pay in pounds, so your petrol is twice the price.  I think cars are cheaper in UK.  My observations overall were that the cost of living in the UK was about 25% more than us in Perth.  The Standard of living in Perth is 200+% better than in UK.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
Our friend from London brought over a couple of newspapers in Feb.  I know the cost of houses in England is astronomical but I was quite shocked at the wages which, for jobs such as porter etc, were really quite low. I don't see how even a house on Downham can be afforded by people in that sort of job these days. 

When we came out in 1974, I left a full time job in which my take home pay (nursing in a clinic) was the equivalent of $23 p.w.  Straightaway in Oz, I got a job that paid $75 p.w. for working in the hostel kitchen.  Once I got my nursing credentials sorted out and got a nursing job, my wages doubled.  Food was much cheaper than in England.  For example: shortly before leaving, I was paying 8/- for half a pound of cheapest mince.  Out here, I was paying half the price for 3 times as much meat.  Fruit and vegetables were also considerably cheaper.  I was shocked at the high cost of books and shoes. 

Houses prices have risen astronomically here now.  I will never understand where the cost comes in.  Obviously, it is getting harder and harder for people to buy that first home. But then, as we have said before, no-one is content with a modest basic home any more - they've got to have the lot.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
Most of the young people in this country also want it all NOW. Its no good starting at the bottom in work. This and the Last Goverments decided education was the thing. So all the old Poly`s became Uni`s and opened up the range of courses, this helped with the unemployment figures half the young who would of left school are then at Uni. But the problem was they are learning about subjects that wont help them or us in the future. ie we have over 15,000 graduates with a degree in media, 8,500 Sports phsycolagists ( not spelt right) and heaven help us how many Business degrees. All that money that they, their parents and of course us as taxpayers have paid out, only for them now to be working in the CO-OP as a shelf stacker. Then you get the other type of Graduate who`s taken on by a firm in a managment role and they havn`t a clue. I did some work for a transport firm who took on a young Transport Manager he knew all the Traffic laws etc. BUT he didn`t even know how to drive he came to work on a bicycle. He thought that Winchester and Chichester were only 20mins from each other but the classic was he sent a fully laden truck to Bristol Road in Manchester it should of been Manchester Road in Bristol. and then moan at us that the firm was losing money. Sorry on a Rant again. It`s 9am now and a lovely morning not a cloud. Got to go to DOWNHAM later, be safe all of you , John.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:38:45 AM »
John/Splinter for PM - that's what I say!

It always amuses me how many young people want to do 'something in the media'.  I think they confuse working in the media with instant fame and 'celebrity' which - as we all know - is as good as useless. 

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Iv`e always said that all these companies should sack everybody and only employ 16/17 year olds, because thats the age they think they know everything.