Author Topic: Google Street View  (Read 15366 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Google Street View
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »
It seems my pleasant sojourn around Downham took me into excess usage.  Ooops!  Not that I get charged on my present plan but my speed slows right down and it's a pain.  I was quite surprised actually, because I had a lot of spare download when I went on.  Can't believe it used up so much.  I won't be going back on Google Street View too often, that's for sure. And that's a shame.  Anyone else have the same problem?

Bren 

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:38 AM »
It seems my pleasant sojourn around Downham took me into excess usage.  Ooops!  Not that I get charged on my present plan but my speed slows right down and it's a pain.  I was quite surprised actually, because I had a lot of spare download when I went on.  Can't believe it used up so much.  I won't be going back on Google Street View too often, that's for sure. And that's a shame.  Anyone else have the same problem?

Bren 

Always Brenda - I am always using up my quota for the month.  Then it's snails pace until the new month starts.  My daughter only lives 10 mins drive up the road, and she can get super fast broadband, very annoying, we can't get broadband at all - only on satellite, and that isn't too quick at the best of times.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »

Bren 

I am at work, so I just had another wander around the estate.  I didn't realise that Churchdown is now a Catholic College.  It still looks the same, no-one there through.  Do you remember how we weren't allowed to go through the middle door between levels?  There seemed, at times to be Prefects (I was never one) stationed there not letting pupils through. Just looking at the place brought back heaps of memories.  The wooden classrooms out the back, and our attempt at a veggie garden. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 12:08:24 AM »
Please stop using all you Quota`s. Or i will be talking to myself on this site. Ive taken some photo`s . Got a few more to do this weekend then try to get on site ASAP.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:17 PM »
The middle door between levels?  Can't remember it Pauline.  Can you tell us more? 

I remember the door at the middle/rear of the building and the stairs to the 1st floor.  Other than that, I really only recall going up via the new wing. 

No worries, Splinter, you'll never be talking to yourself. Well, not on here anyway!

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:54 PM »
Now found time to get on to Streetview and looked up my old house - certainly looks different to the one I left in 1959 - as does the road.  Of course in those days all the houses were council owned but expect most are now in private hands. Was a bit naughty whilst on the site and had a look at the house of one of my wealthier relatives - now know what sort of property you can expect to live in if you are married to a banker!  Don't know if any of you UK based 'Downhamites' listened to Jeremy Vine show on BBC2 this morning but mention was made of the site and in a village in Buckinghamshire the residents are very cross about the whole thing and do not want to appear on the site.  They do not want to be included in the pictures and feel that they could become the target for criminals so they formed a human hoarding preventing the photographs being taken from the camera mounted on top of a car. The driver and car retreated.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 10:00:54 PM »
Yes i read about it Christine. I think the residents dont understand that it takes over 6 months to put on streetview and no thief would attempt anything that distant because of changes ( I`VE BEEN TOLD THIS FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW IE POLICE. I DONT KNOW PERSONALLY) .
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 01:48:06 AM »
Yes i read about it Christine. I think the residents dont understand that it takes over 6 months to put on streetview and no thief would attempt anything that distant because of changes ( I`VE BEEN TOLD THIS FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW IE POLICE. I DONT KNOW PERSONALLY) .

How stupid are they, I would think that every thief and burglar in the area would now be hot footing it to that town to see what it is they have that they don't want everyone to see.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 06:13:31 AM »
A very salient point, Pauline.  Nothing like giving themselves plenty of publicity!  Hee hee.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
This message has nothing to do with Google Streetview - I want to know, Bren, what makes you 'Hero' status on our site and what you have done to deserve it! There is a worthy charity in the UK called 'Help for Heroes' which is raising money for our wounded service men and women and one of their fund raising items is a teddy bear called 'Hero'.  Now he is all cuddly and wears a rugby t-shirt - well mine does - so is this the requirement?

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »
Chris, if I knew what you were talking about, I would answer your question!  Do enlighten me.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 03:37:33 AM »
Chris, if I knew what you were talking about, I would answer your question!  Do enlighten me.

Bren
Do you get to be a hero when you make 500 posts?

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 06:41:41 AM »
Dunno

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »
At this rate of posts i`m doing i`ll have a VC

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 06:41:05 PM »

Bren
Bren - you now have five stars under your name and 'hero member' status.  I am only a 'full member' with three stars -'nuff explanation?