Author Topic: MOVING TO FAR OFF PLACES  (Read 18051 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: MOVING TO FAR OFF PLACES
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 01:50:54 AM »
It`s been so long since i caught a Bus i wouldn`t know what side of the road to stand on. When i was young my Nan lost me in Woolies in Catford i was about 4 then. The whole of Catford was searched by the Police everybody in a panic. The only child found was in Eltham Police Stn . Yes it was me, i lost Nan so went home on the 124 Bus i Knew where to get on the bus by the toilets in Catford but didn`t know where to get off so it took me to Eltham. I do remember i used to go downstairs on the bus (nan couldn`t get upstairs) and at the front behind the driver was a hump so i could stand on that and be able to look out. Silly what you remember isn`t it.

Mum and Dad would get the 149 or the 179 to visit my Gran up the Old Kent Road.  Coming back I would fall alseep on the bus, and Dad would carry me all the way home from the bus stop!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »
In the days of London Transport, Buses only went on certain routes on the estate. It was Downham Way 36B and 141 and 124 for Northover, but now they go all over the estate and you don`t have to wait that long for them. So thats one improvement.

Yes indeed,  and that would have saved me the long walk to Bromley Road early on Sunday mornings to catch a bus to Lewisham Hospital because the service from Downham didn't start until later.

Anyone else remember when the 36B and  141 were Nos 69 and 179?

Bren
I would catch them buses most days to go  to work in the city to Grove Park, then by Train. In my army days I would hire a car for a week then back to public transport when on leave. All my friends lived in the Catford area, and when courting, well walked home from Catford many a night, all night buses did run but every hour I would miss them every time, we lived in the Brangbourne Flats then. The other service I used, was the 47 which I caught out side a cycle shop on Bromley Rd opp, Wollies to go to my Grand parents home in Crown Lane Bromley. I do remember the trams, but not the numbers.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
I had to catch a train from Grove Park to Waterloo from the age of 11 that was 1965 and then with ork to the city so that was upto 1979. Does any body remember the Double decker Train that was on the Dartford Loop Line Via Hither Green. I don`t know when it stopped running.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »
I had to catch a train from Grove Park to Waterloo from the age of 11 that was 1965 and then with ork to the city so that was upto 1979. Does any body remember the Double decker Train that was on the Dartford Loop Line Via Hither Green. I don`t know when it stopped running.
Splinter - I remember it well.  I used to live in Lee Green before I got married which was on the Dartford Loop. My husband actually mentioned this train to a friend now working on Crossrail and they didn't believe him - all in the past now, like slam door trains and trams - oh here we go again...........

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 08:08:55 PM »
I got Told that the double decker could only use that line because the Bridges were higher, on all other routes it could hit a bridge, They also had Ladies Only Compartments.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:53 PM »
Mostly for Brenda, or Keith's family if they are around but my Grandchildrens addresses are   :-

Daniel Ophof , 16, Dovercourt Rd., appartment 21., QLD Twoong  4066., Brisbane                 

Amanda Ophof .,  19-13  Upper esplanade., 6230 Bunbury       

Only wish I were there with them now it's cooling off a shade        dickie .........................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
I got Told that the double decker could only use that line because the Bridges were higher, on all other routes it could hit a bridge, They also had Ladies Only Compartments.
You're absolutely right - there were 'ladies only' compartments - always very useful on those hot summer days when the rest of the train was full and you could sneak in and get a seat although it was usually only one single compartment - not the whole carriage.  Don't know about the bridges being higher - just asked himself downstairs and he thought there were no bridges on that route but he said there would have to be no constraints to allow that particular train to run on any route.  Thinking about it Splinter, rail travel nowadays for all its problems is tons better than in our younger days -with air conditioning, cctv, sliding doors, disabled access etc. and, best of all, no smoking.  All people complain about now is the fact that they might have to stand!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »
Love your latest anecdote, Splinter.  Had me chuckling.  I got lost in Woolworths in Lewisham when I was around the same age.  I can remember how terrified I was when I realised Mum wasn't there.  I think she had stopped to look at something  and I'd walked on.  Every woman seemed to have the same brown coat on and I kept running up to find only a stranger. Being very, very shy, I was too scared to tell anyone I was lost and didn't cry, but oh my goodness, my poor little heart was racing.  Then I heard Mum yell, "Brenda, wherever you are, stand still and I'll find you."  And she did of course. Tell you what though, it was a long time before I felt safe going shopping again.

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 11:00:58 PM »
  Thinking about it Splinter, rail travel nowadays for all its problems is tons better than in our younger days -with air conditioning, cctv, sliding doors, disabled access etc. and, best of all, no smoking.  All people complain about now is the fact that they might have to stand!
[/quote]

Yes Chris, many is the time I stood on one leg only from Grove Park to London Bridge because there was no room to get the other one down!

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »
One very hot day i was about 12 then. The train from Bromley North brokedown at Grove Park, so they all got off went to the other platform to catch a train coming from Orpington so it was very very crowded. I remember going through New Cross and then everything went blank as i passed out, i then found myself on a seat with a lady asking if i was OK. Very embarassing. Those types of things you never forget no matter how old you get. I still cringe about the thought even now as i tell the story, silly i know.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 01:52:04 AM »
You're absolutely right - there were 'ladies only' compartments - always very useful on those hot summer days when the rest of the train was full and you could sneak in and get a seat although it was usually only one single compartment - not the whole carriage.  Don't know about the bridges being higher - just asked himself downstairs and he thought there were no bridges on that route but he said there would have to be no constraints to allow that particular train to run on any route.  Thinking about it Splinter, rail travel nowadays for all its problems is tons better than in our younger days -with air conditioning, cctv, sliding doors, disabled access etc. and, best of all, no smoking.  All people complain about now is the fact that they might have to stand!

What about those terrible greasy seats, just where your hed would be. UGH!!!!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »
Yes . the seats on those trains were disgusting and the floors were so filthy that you had to wipe your feet when you left the train. I think the most frightening thing that happened on a train was at Hither Green going up town a man jumped in just as the train was leaving and caught his foot at the bottom of the door so it only half shut i could see him struggling to free his foot, then before anybody could do anything, he opened the door the wind caught it nearly pulling him out with it, he got held onto, somebody pulled the emergency stop chain and we shuddered to a halt on the bridge where our line goes over the Hayes line just outside Lewisham. The guard came took the mans details ( just remembered in those days you saw ladders hooked onto walls at the side of the track, he used that to get into the train). We sat there for over an hour all trains stopped. the train then slowly went to St John`s Stn and stopped .( never stopped there before always went fast through it) We all had to get off, the train went away on its own and we caught the next train to stop. So due to one idiot who nearly got killed. We all ended up 90 mins late.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 01:50:01 AM »
Yes . the seats on those trains were disgusting and the floors were so filthy that you had to wipe your feet when you left the train. I think the most frightening thing that happened on a train was at Hither Green going up town a man jumped in just as the train was leaving and caught his foot at the bottom of the door so it only half shut i could see him struggling to free his foot, then before anybody could do anything, he opened the door the wind caught it nearly pulling him out with it, he got held onto, somebody pulled the emergency stop chain and we shuddered to a halt on the bridge where our line goes over the Hayes line just outside Lewisham. The guard came took the mans details ( just remembered in those days you saw ladders hooked onto walls at the side of the track, he used that to get into the train). We sat there for over an hour all trains stopped. the train then slowly went to St John`s Stn and stopped .( never stopped there before always went fast through it) We all had to get off, the train went away on its own and we caught the next train to stop. So due to one idiot who nearly got killed. We all ended up 90 mins late.

I remember being extremely miffed when someone jumped in from of an underground train and made me late for work.  I guess being young (17yo) and unaware of worldly woes (being cocooned on Downhma made us immune from others sufferings) I never even considered what had brought a person to such a state that they would prefer to jump in front of a train and end it all.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »
I think its in your mental makeup. To kill yourself also depends on the way life is dealt to you. I would never deplore anybody who is dying anyway and all they have to look forward to is pain and suffering. We dont let animals suffer so i think we sometimes have to change our mindset on life. Remember we are dying from the moment we were born.