Author Topic: Memories for our Kids/Grand Kids  (Read 3782 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Memories for our Kids/Grand Kids
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:48:36 AM »
Some time ago I started to put all my memories, and happenings down on paper (well in the computer actually).  I then started to put them into order, and pad them out, so that in effect it became a sort of "Life Story" for someone who wasn't famous.
At the end of last year, my grandson had to do a project on someone, so he chose me - and then proceeded to ask all about my life when I was a smallie.  Ha Ha I said, I've got it all written down, and he was able to glean information from that. 
It then occured to me how different our childhood was to theirs, games we played, and things we did to amuse ourselves (Like upsetting the people in the Grove Park Chippy so that they called the Police).
So now as I remember bits and pieces - and you guys are such a help - I write it down.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

adcross

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Memories for our Kids/Grand Kids
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:08:29 AM »
re Pauline and the Grove Park chippy, my wife remembers going in there as a child and asking if they had any chips left and when they answered yes they were told that they shouldn't have cooked so many !.

But they did do really nice Rock Salmon and chips.

Regards to all ex 306 Shroffold Road and got a great view of the old house on Google Street View.
A.D.Cross

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
Adcross, don't tell me you are the person who went into Albins and asked if they had any empty boxes ?         Dickie...........................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:05:26 PM »
Dickie, you never fail to make me chuckle.  Pauline, have you confessed to your grandchildren that you were naughty?

Yes, it's good to get the memories down for future generations.  I have created a booklet on one aspect of my father's side of the family - the musical thread that runs through it.  I've also incorporated life on Downham in several stories but written in a fictional way.   Needs a lot more work though.

Bren

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:16:07 PM »
Brenda you will have to put those stories on site i am sure we would love to read them. You never know it could become a best seller. Stranger things have happened.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
Dickie, you never fail to make me chuckle.  Pauline, have you confessed to your grandchildren that you were naughty?

Yes, it's good to get the memories down for future generations.  I have created a booklet on one aspect of my father's side of the family - the musical thread that runs through it.  I've also incorporated life on Downham in several stories but written in a fictional way.   Needs a lot more work though.

Bren
Bren - can't remember - did you say you had managed to get some info from Kneller Hall.  Know we had chats about it a while ago but can't remember if you had got it yourself.  If not say the word and I will gee Steve up. I know his neighbour is about to embark on a bandmaster's course at the Hall so he might be able to get him to look up any info.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:11:18 PM »
Yes Chris, I did get help from Kneller Hall.  The archivist looked up my grandfather's records which showed he studied the French horn there for a year (when a teenager) and passed 'satisfactorily'.  It also said he 'went back to his regiment' which, obviously, means he was sent from his regiment rather than the orphanage which is what my elderly cousin thought.  I was very pleased, as you can imagine, because all this goes towards making this unknown man very real to me. 

Thanks anyway, for the offer of help. 

Bren