Author Topic: Google Street View  (Read 15289 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Google Street View
« on: March 20, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »
I have just realised that Downham is now on Google StreetView,  I can see my house, and my next door neighbour is just standing in the porch.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Google Street View
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:11:33 AM »
Just been on the site Pauline Iv`e got to admit its good you can travel up and down spin round turn corners . From the hight of the camera it must be a 360 ontop of a Van.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »
Ive just seen a photo of the vehicles that did it only on cars but the camera is about 3to4 feet on top.Its amazing what can be done now .But a lot of people have complained about the photos and that their security is threatened. So Google are taking them out.The funniest one was a man went onto his house and saw a car outside his house belonging to his wifes ex lover from years back .The photos were taken last Summer!!!
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »
My sister found our house on it.  Now, why anyone would bother coming out this way and filming our place is beyond me yet my sister lives in town and her street isn't there. I must try and get into Google View and see the old place.  Wow!

Bre

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Think we have been on Google Earth for some time because I remember seeing my old house last year and moving it around - great fun!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:31:58 AM »
Think we have been on Google Earth for some time because I remember seeing my old house last year and moving it around - great fun!
I can only remember the satellite view until recently.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »
Well, I found dear old Durham Hill but with the demolition of my old home and block and the school, and the addition of the new houses, it was almost unrecognisable to me.  How sad is that.

I am finding it hard to navigate though. I know I must be thick (and yes, I did read the instructions) but whenever I try to move up and down, I lose the view entirely.  Can someone tell me in words of not too many syllables how to travel up and down and go round corners.  I want to 'walk' from Durham Hill, turn into Capstone Road and get to the shops!

Must say, I was astonished and gratified to see how clean the place looks. Not all that many cars cluttering the roads either.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »
Brenda put the cuser on the arrow on the way you want to travel. keep pressing and the view will slowly change as you travel when you get to the turning the name should come up with a pointer then press on the arrow going that way ie to the left. then using the cicle of arrows you turn into the road then keep pressing the arrows to slowly travel along the road to the shops. hoped that helped.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:32:25 AM »
Brenda put the cuser on the arrow on the way you want to travel. keep pressing and the view will slowly change as you travel when you get to the turning the name should come up with a pointer then press on the arrow going that way ie to the left. then using the cicle of arrows you turn into the road then keep pressing the arrows to slowly travel along the road to the shops. hoped that helped.

It also depends on your download speed.  I only have satellite so it's a bit slower, and the view gets lost, but if you wait it will return, a bit fuzzy at first, but then will clear.  My daughter has superfast broadband, and she has no problems at all.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 09:30:30 AM »
Thank you Splinter.  I shall give that a go.  Like you Pauline, we're on a satellite service so that might explain some of the problems.  Compared to the old dial-up (which was so slow, it could take half an hour to receive an email!) it seems fast but obviously it isn't.
Thank you both for you help.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Hope that helps a little . Ive just been in contact with an old friend of my Mums. His name came up looking at ex Durham Hill Students he lived next door before i was born i told him about this site His name is Bill Starling. I dont know if any of you knew him. But if he joins us i am sure you will make him as welcome as you have with me.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 01:47:54 AM »
Thank you Splinter and Pauline, I have now managed to 'walk' up Durham Hill, along Capstone Road, looked at the shops Up the Top (look a bit different these days), and down Northover.  It's a bit of a jerky journey although this morning, the computer was terribly slow and perhaps that had something to do with it. And when the picture disappeared, I  waited as per your suggestion, Pauline, and it returned. 

Did I see a bus-stop in Capstone Rd?  And I also see some sheltered bus stops.  Could have done with those a few years ago!

Must say, the place looks a lot cleaner and tidier than I've heard in the last few years.

I shall be exploring some more.  Cheers Google.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
I can only remember the satellite view until recently.
Your right Pauline - I didn't realise it was Googlestreet - now going to check it out

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 03:14:28 AM »
Have not been on Google for some time so having "a lay day" today with a 35 deg forcast, I spent some time doing the look around. I found the sweet shop in Brook Lane where I use to call in after school (Burnt Ash School) for my gob stoppers and serbert for a penny, it's is now called Sheera Stores. Also the Sunday School I  attented, is now the Brook Lane Community Church, I remember being a member of the Boys Brigade there for a while. Whats are the poles in the streets around Downham with wires coming off to the houses, I thought OZ was the only backward place with overhead power poles in the towns. They look like May poles. Also I see  Deeprose Motorcycles in Brownhill Road Catford is no longer.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 05:20:26 AM »
THe`re Telephone lines. Deeprose has been gone at least 15years.