Author Topic: Being a site NEWBIE  (Read 23916 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Being a site NEWBIE
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
One good thing Christine they wont allow the rubbish on any greens or play areas. But they still do the Big Bonfire on the green between Shroffold and Shaw Road. Thats been going on for as long as i remember.Does any body Know when the Last Tram run Up Downham Way i Remember the Tracks i Think some were still there some years later outside the toilets on the corner of Southover. theve gone a long time now ! ( toilets i meant). So have the ones at the bottom of Woodland Walk near Bromley Road.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »
my dad was a tram conductor on the 54 trams and the last tram to run in Downham was in 1952.  My ex husband was employed in taking up the old tram lines, and that was also in 1952. Welcome Splinter..you are a breath of fresh air....Belx

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »
Bel, my chum one Sidney Adams, lived at the junction of Capstone  and Durham Hill. His Father was a Tram Driver. We both joined the New Cross Tramways Swimming club (another member was Mick McManus ! remember him ? )  dickie.............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »
Sorry Dickie i was posting a reply when you was on Mick McManus Sung in a Pub Next to and underneath Lewisham Odeon in the 70`s he loved his Country & Western. Not a bad singer either.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
My last reply got lost so here goes again.Thank you for your kind words Bel. Perhaps im a bit Young but did anybody used to go to Saturday Morning Pictures. I went to the ABC Catford its flats now. I also remember my Mum belonged to the Civil Defence and she had to go to the Hither Green Train Crash i Think it was 1967 But i do no that Robin Gibb of the BEE GEES was on the train.I was going to school in Waterloo then .All trains cancelled from Grove Park for days.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:54:22 PM by Splinter »

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »
I thought Mick McManus was associated with wrestling and my Dad took me to see him at New Cross (I think the tablets I am on are making me more confused than usual) . Saturday morning pictures at the old Splendid were a treat, especially when they supplied us with these funny little cardboard glasses which made the picture look in colour.  Yes the ABC closed down and retirement flats were built. I remember ...was it The Queens Hall ?....... a cinema in  Catford, where you ordered a cup of tea when you went in and it was brought to you in the interval. You never had to go far in those days to enjoy yourself .  Belx

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
Yes Bel Mick McManunus came from New Cross But he also sung in a C&W Band His wrestling  was for money C&W a hobby. I can Just remember another Cinema in Catford On the Corner of Brownhill Road then Sainsburys opened a shop for a while before they moved to the new!!! Shopping centre. Going back Where Was Dr Hockmans Surgery I remember a doctor in Grove Park Its now an Undertakers Next to the Pub Car Park. He was Jewish I Know because he was present when i was born. and being a BOY ( I wont go into details) Made a difference ( NOT A LOT ).

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »
You are right the trams did finish in the early 50s they were a sad loss I remember the last tram, also the tram had a habit, at Grove Park of Jumping the Line and one tried to be a Train. My Dad use to work for  LT Bromley Garage in the early days so I was right into the Trams and Buses. The Hither Green Train crash sticks in my mind so does the the St Johns Crash. I live in Brownhill Road just before heading for OZ, a long story but my next door neighbour and self went to assist with the recovery, not a pretty sight. I was 15 when the St John crash and worked at Reveille News Papers ( not spelt right, girlie type paper belong to Daily Mirror) Office was at Waterloo. That night was a right night mare, We had change trains at London Bridge (fellow office boy from New Cross) we jumped on a train and was told it was the Hayes Train, we got off Quick and found the New Cross/Grove Park service. By the time we got home the crash had accrued, I ofter wonder if that was the train that we had boarded by mistake. I travelled to Waterloo the next morning and it was a sad sight. My local was The Splendid every Sat Morn cost was 3 pence. Went to The Eros a few times, on the corner of Brownhill Road Catford. I think we all went to Dr Hockmans.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 05:43:13 AM »
Think some were still there some years later outside the toilets on the corner of Southover. theve gone a long time now ! ( toilets i meant). So have the ones at the bottom of Woodland Walk near Bromley Road.

I had a friend who lived right next door to those toilets, blowed if I can remember her name.  Must be Alzheimers or something.  Talking of which:

With all the new technology regarding fertility recently, a 65-year-old friend of mine was able to give birth. When she was discharged from the hospital and went home, I went to visit.

'May I see the new baby?' I asked

'Not yet,' She said 'I'll make coffee and we can visit for a while first.'

Thirty minutes had passed, and I asked, 'May I see the new baby now?'

'No, not yet,' She said.

After another few minutes had elapsed,

I asked again, 'May I see the baby now?'

'No, not yet,' replied my friend.

Growing very impatient, I asked, 'Well, when can I see the baby?'

'WHEN HE CRIES!' she told me.

'WHEN HE CRIES?' I demanded. 'Why do I have to wait until he CRIES?'

'BECAUSE I FORGOT WHERE I PUT HIM, O.K.?'
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
Hutchsy Wasnt the Reveilli Newspaper offices in Stamford Street Waterloo. So was my School.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 11:14:10 AM »
hutchsky Wasn't the Reveille Newspaper offices in Stamford Street Waterloo. So was my School.

Yes that's the place, could not remember the road now refreshed, I was there for about a year, then got a job with Tooleys of Lee, a motor cycle shop who was a Velocett Dealer, one of my life's Passion. On bikes from about 14 years of age, too a few years ago, also had my own dealership here in Rockingham WA.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
I used to go andsee the Motobikes in Lee near the Railway Bridge Used to have secondhand Police bikes if my memory serves me. I bought most of my Bikes from Deeprose because he was a friend of my Dad.I got a 250 gt Royal Enfield, 500 Matchless and a 650 Bonnie from their. Be worth a lot now ooh i forgot i also got a Triton but that was rubbish so only had it for a few weeks then bought a car.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 12:41:20 PM »
I used to go andsee the Motorbikes in Lee near the Railway Bridge Used to have secondhand Police bikes if my memory serves me. I bought most of my Bikes from Deeprose because he was a friend of my Dad.I got a 250 gt Royal En-field, 500 Matchless and a 650 Bonnie from their. Be worth a lot now ooh i forgot i also got a Triton but that was rubbish so only had it for a few weeks then bought a car.
Yes that is who I worked for for a few years before going into the Army when 18. I lived across the road from Deeprose with my first wife and mother at 177 Brownhill Road. I was always in there looking at bikes, but had a family and had to give the bikes away until I went to Oz. My first bike was a Triumph 3T and hung out at the Soap Box, Ace, the Busy Bee and the 59 club in town. Most of my bikes have been Jap since in Oz with a longing for British bikes. Did my training on Velo's and when I played up the boss put me on the LE (Noddy Bikes) I soon change my ways. We were also into the Mopeds from Italy at Tooleys

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »
I usedto go to Johnsons cafe and to Hastings "All the way to Hastings for a Pint". Another place was ST Micks!!!??? Sydenham only went a few times. I used to love bikes NO crash hat then.(Mad i know) But we were invincible then or so we thought.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 10:16:17 PM »
 Where Was Dr Hockmans Surgery I remember a doctor in Grove Park Its now an Undertakers Next to the Pub Car Park. He was Jewish I Know because he was present when i was born. and being a BOY ( I wont go into details) Made a difference ( NOT A LOT ).
[/quote]
]

Dr Hockman's surgery was in the top end of Downham Way not far past the junction of Northover and Downham Way. It was right next to the council yard. He was a wonderful doctor, so kind and understanding.  Must have been terribly overworked though.

Bren