Author Topic: Being a site NEWBIE  (Read 24275 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Being a site NEWBIE
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »
Brenda thats my Doctors now i hav`nt changed yet (i must do that ) So many doctors there now i never see the same one twice.GOOD NEWS i have finally rented my house in Pendragon Road to a young family who were living in Downham Way (half way down) opposite Valeswood Road I`m Happy its gone to a local family. Shes grown up in Downham And so have her Mum Dad and Nan. So although I`m not going to be their as often i will keep you all up to date with any news.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »
Bren my love that surgery you described was originally Mark Kelman's in Downham Way, lovely little house, it was also their Home. Now I'm frustrated trying to send pictures of my garden in the snow, sorry, will try again later     dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 07:01:21 AM »
I used to go to Johnsons cafe and to Hastings "All the way to Hastings for a Pint". Another place was ST Micks!!!??? Sydenham only went a few times. I used to love bikes NO crash hat then.(Mad i know) But we were invincible then or so we thought.

Johnson' cafe was were I meet my first wife, near Brands Hatch. I went their quite often, death hill, the mad mile all trying to make the ton (100mph) We have a toy run every year which is around Xmas in Perth/ Mandurah with up to 6,000 bikes, some years. On one of these rides I spotten this rider who was riding a Gold star who had his crash helmet with yellow painted dots. This was a couple of years ago, I said I knew a person who use to hang out at Johnson riding a Gold Star and crash helmets the same by the name of Pebbles. He said I am Pebbles and this is the same Gold star, small world. I try to sort him every year. For some reason I seem to remember the surgery was just passed the Verdent Lane turn off on Downham Way on the left heading towards Grove Park.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »
Hi hutchsky I put Johnson`s cafe in on google which sent me to ebay and someone selling 6 prints of the cafe and bikes from the 1950`s(a bit before my time). Its offices now. Did you go to the cafe at Biggin Hill and the cafe near Lewisham Hospital Their names elude me now.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
Hi hutchsky I put Johnson`s cafe in on google which sent me to ebay and someone selling 6 prints of the cafe and bikes from the 1950`s(a bit before my time). Its offices now. Did you go to the cafe at Biggin Hill and the cafe near Lewisham Hospital Their names elude me now.
Yes the one at Biggen Hill is the Salt Box it closed for a while around 1959-60 and we used one over the run way towards Westerem (that not spelt right) also called the Ace, I did find a site on the Salt Box, we had some great times and of course their was a time frame from the box to the Bromley Road turn off, and Keston Lakes was a good place for stopping off with the girl friend. The one near the Hospital was a Motor Cycle Dealer, from racking the brain. My first bike a 3T was a 1948 with a few mods, Matchless front Forks etc. The was other cafe on the Bypass at Farnbrough just pass the turn off which was also called the Mad Mile.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »
Hi Hutchsky `The Salt Box By Salt box Hill` was one  But the otyer one just past the runway i didnt know as the Ace cafe the name deludes me now. Its a Timber Yard Now. When you think back just how many Motorcycle dealers were in a 30min ride from Downham was unreal. I remember a bloke from the estate had a Vincent Black Shadow and another bloke has a Ariel Square Four without the Sidecar( how he put it on its stand Christ knows). Best wishes

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 04:25:49 AM »
Bren my love that surgery you described was originally Mark Kelman's in Downham Way, lovely little house, it was also their Home. Now I'm frustrated trying to send pictures of my garden in the snow, sorry, will try again later     dickie................

Umm... Dickie wasn't Dr Kelmans surgery in Ridgeway Drive - off Burnt Ash Lane?

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »
Its great dicussing things with all of you .Can those in Oz tell me if this is true A friend of mine Went to Oz assisted passage early70`s a few years later he came back stating that although he wasn`t a citizen he was going to be called up to go to Vietnam!!! is that right??

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
Going back to the Hither Green train crash - it made me remember that my brother and his fiancee (later wife) would have normally got that train but on the day it happened they were held up at work in London. Then I got thinking about a couple of other near misses involving my family - my son and his (now) wife were seconds away from being caught in an IRA bomb blast at a pub in Covent Garden and my daughter and her friend were at the top of the World Trade Centre exactly two weeks to the day and time of their destruction. I expect everybody can relate a similar story though.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 09:57:35 PM »
BREN, That was Marks first Surgery,before he moved to Burnt Ash, roughly opposite Launcelot. Incidently talking of 'bikes, has anyone seen or heard of a "Levis " ?    dickie............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:24 AM »
Its great dicussing things with all of you .Can those in Oz tell me if this is true A friend of mine Went to Oz assisted passage early70`s a few years later he came back stating that although he wasn`t a citizen he was going to be called up to go to Vietnam!!! is that right??
Sounds about right.  I think those who came on assisted passage back in the 1960s can even vote, which to me is all wrong.  If you want to vote you should become a citizen.  I heard of a lot of Brits who scurried back to England at the time of the Vietnam war.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 12:11:28 AM »
Do any of you remember when the Council Workers used to cut privets redecorate a room and every 5 years Repaint the Front Door. John.

Oh yes, and as kids we would look at the different door colours, and look to see in the order they were being painted which colour we would get.  At one time we had a yukky yellow one, but the next time we got a bright red one - red being my favourite colour.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 12:22:08 AM »
WE had this horrible Grey painted on our door i said to the Painter that i didnt like it then he told me its the UNDERCOAT that shot me down in flames the door was eventually painted Red and that was my favorite colour as well.( We are going to have to do something with these sites i am darting about between them  Probably Answering the wrong questions to the wrong site).I dont mind keeps me off the streets!!!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:09 AM »
Dickie i saw a LEVIS a few years back at a old bike do at Brands Hatch i think it was a trials bike their was also a Rudge, Sunbeam and my fav Excelsior Manxman(not sure if i spelt that correct).

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »
Dickie i saw a LEVIS a few years back at a old bike do at Brands Hatch i think it was a trials bike their was also a Rudge, Sunbeam and my fav Excelsior Manxman(not sure if i spelt that correct).
The Levis M/C went from 1912-1940 made in Strechford Birmingham and was related to Bown M/C who went on till the late 50's with Villars Motor's, found a good site on Brittish Bikes, just type in what ever bike and bingo! great stuff this internet. I had knowledge of a Lewis but not a Levis good stuff. I started out with my uncle Chas who was the Sunbeam M/C Club sec and they use to run the Brighton Drags and Trials and what we now call motor cross. His first bike was a 197cc Excelsior 2 stroke Villars, which I rode on the back all over the UK in all kinds of weather great stuff for a 13 tear old.