Author Topic: Games we played  (Read 6965 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Games we played
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:49:41 AM »
Looking at the estate now one big change is that their are no children outside playing. Even in the Parks. So can anyone remember their favourite games they played.(remembering the names of them is hard). so i will start with "Knock down Ginger" why it was called that i hav`nt a clue.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Games we played
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »
Looking at the estate now one big change is that their are no children outside playing. Even in the Parks. So can anyone remember their favourite games they played.(remembering the names of them is hard). so i will start with "Knock down Ginger" why it was called that i hav`nt a clue.

Red Rover - 2 teams, we used the whole blocke from Gareth Grove down Ivorydown and up Geraint Road, 1 team would hide, the others fhad to find them
We would put a stone in the middle of the road, and stand on the kerb and try to knowkc it into the other gutter.
Tin tan tommy, we would throw a tin can down the road, someone went to get it and we would all hide.

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:38:31 AM »
I used to play the one with the stone in the middle of the road then use a tennis ball to move it . Also the Pavements were great for Hopscotch.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
Add to those: rounders, marbles, hide-and-seek, sardines, feet-off-the ground, statues, Queenie Queenie, who's got the ball, 'he', whatever that game with lolly sticks was called, balls up the wall (aka two-balls), buzz, skipping and other rope games, roller skating,  'dress-ups'.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »
Christ Brenda didnt you have any Homework. I remember most of them. (what was two balls against a wall dont know that one)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:34 AM »
Add to those: rounders, marbles, hide-and-seek, sardines, feet-off-the ground, statues, Queenie Queenie, who's got the ball, 'he', whatever that game with lolly sticks was called, balls up the wall (aka two-balls), buzz, skipping and other rope games, roller skating,  'dress-ups'.

Bren
What about hand stands with our skirts tucked in our knickers?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »
Pauline the thought of you doing handstands with skirts in knickers is too much for me i need a cold shower. But didn`t we have fun  without any money. No theft no problems because we were all in the same boat. And i remember if anybody had a problem your neighbours helped. If their was a death in the family. you would get FLOWERS FROM THE STREET.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »
Christ Brenda didnt you have any Homework. I remember most of them. (what was two balls against a wall dont know that one)

Hee hee!  Well, when I was young enough to play those games, I probably didn't have homework. When I did have homework, I rarely did it!  I was not a good girl  with my studies although I love to study now.

Two balls was a girls' game. We juggled with two balls but they had to hit the wall as we chanted silly verses such as - oh blimey, I've forgotten them. Ah, Mathew, Mark, Luke and John, ........forgotten......pass it on.  Come on girls, anyone remember?

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »
And what was Queenie Queenie never heard of it

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »

Bren
What about hand stands with our skirts tucked in our knickers?
Wondered who would remember that - remember the Churchdown Girls used to do that in the school playground as well much to the delight of the Churchdown boys who came to the machine shop that was attached to the school! Remember making camps in the many green areas as well, oh and when it snowed there were some wonderful 'slides' outside our front gate.  Also now able to own up to knocking on doors and running away - not me of course, just the people I hung around with .........

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
yes....two balls up the wall to salt mustard vinegar pepper, and then underneath your leg  with the ball.....i must admit  I can still do it using my dogs two tennis balls up against the wall in Danson Park......(not the underneath leg bit tho..) Fag cards against the wall was another game as well as conkers baked in the oven to make them lovely and hard.  Belx

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »
I`ve just realised that i hav`nt lived. you girls had more fun than me. SIGH SIGH.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 03:26:53 AM »
Cricket was the big thing in our street, yes my two sisters played all them girl type games. I remember playing quite late on weekends summer time. I spent a lot of time jumping across the Ravensborne River till I got wet, then had to face  Mum and Dad. The river (Stream) use to dry up by the end of summer so my back side had time to recover.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 12:03:21 AM »
I used to play cricket on the green in Roundtable Road. Until the council put up a notice " NO BALL GAMES " . So it was back to Knock down Ginger !!!!!! I`m sure the residents didn`t mind that much???