Author Topic: Being a site NEWBIE  (Read 21805 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Being a site NEWBIE
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »
Being new to this site its amazing how many people live away from Downham but have so many good memories of the estate. I have been looking through old forums and might be able to answer a few questions.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

christine

• View Profile
Re: Being a site NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »
Welcome Splinter!  As you have probably guessed we old Downhamites are spread far and wide - but isn't it lovely that we all have the same connection.  I was only resident in Downham for about ten years - most of my childhood - but can usually relate to something somebody mentions. Are you going to tell us about your Downham years?

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:29:05 PM »
I would love to tell you about my time in downham .My Nan & Grandad Moved from Bellingham to Downham (Pendragon Road) in 1935 My Mum was only 8 then .All i know is that she later went to Durham Hill school and then During the War was evacuated to Folkestone (She was nearer the Germans than most of the army) Later when she retuned and was about 18 her boyfriend was killed on a Russian convoy. She met my Dad in 1952 He was living in Minard Road SE6. They Married in 1953 and i came along a year later. All living in the same house.I was born in the house got it on my Birth Certificate.And i still own the house.Thats my background . I will give you more over the next few weeks if you are interested.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »
Of course we want to hear more!  And as you are living there still, we really want to know what the estate is like these days. As Chris said, we ex-Downhamites have very fond memories of our growing up days there.

I wonder if your mother knew the Petrou family.  Can't remember what number they lived
at.  Could have been 104. Their place backed on to the playground of Ballamore School.

Bren

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 06:57:06 AM »
I would imagine she knew them she seemed to know everbody . She was the School crossing lady top of Pendragon and Northover during the Early 60's

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:30:02 AM »
Splinter your Mother was evacuated to Folkstone! so were my sister Louisa, and younger Brothe Joe. I had to cycle down to join them to look after them (Plus a few of my sisters friends, a very nice collection of young ladies ) from Durham Hill I hooked on and became a sort of senior monitor, handing out  the Malt, pencils and exercise books,too old to join the classes. Quite a happy start to the war though     dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »
Isnt it amazing that i am discussing things about my mother during the war. I dont know who started this site but they should take a BOW!!!. I do remember my mum saying that she had a duck then and would only lay in other peoples gardens. i think they ended up having it for Xmas .

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:25 AM »
Well dickie how many from the estate went to Folkestone if only a few you would of known my Mum here name then was Winnie Carroll.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:18:31 AM »
Hello Brenda and all You asked for more of my life in Downham so here goes(i will do it bit at a time or it will become a book).Early Memories are hard but i can remember going to a clinic Bottom of Durham hill Fields to have an injection Polio i think and then i went to Ballamore Nursery i can still feel the sun when we went outside on beds for a sleep and i think her name was Mrs White !! used to sit at the bottom of the bed Knitting. Our small bottle o milk and i think it was Cod liver oil as well. Then i went to the Primary School their I can just remember a few names Paul Marriner, Smith boys the rest have gone from the brain. Then when i was 6 I was run over Top of my road with Northover (bit stupid my fault and my mum was the crossing lady but not on duty) But in that time she had a row with the Headmistress of Pendragon School so at 7 years i went to Torridon Road School.( Do any of you remember when the Council Workers used to cut privets redecorate a room and every 5 years Repaint the Front Door. )But the best bit was afterschool Playcenter and then every school holiday we had playcenter going around to various schools. It was about then mum become a Park Warden and went around most of the parks in the area including Elmstead Woods. Well i dont want to hog the site so i will tell you more in a few days....John.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »
Lovely to share your memories, John.  The clinic at the bottom of (what we called) The Hill was where the school dentist tortured.  What years were you at Pendragon School?

I certainly do remember when the council workers came to trim the privet hedges.  I have always associated the smell of privet with Downham and have a privet bush outside the front fence here in Oz.  When it flowers, I am immediately transported back to childhood.

That's right, the council undertook to redecorate regularly and if something such as a windowpane needed new putty, we'd have to go round to the  council offices/yard to put in a request for repairs.

I remember the playcentre at Ballamore School.  My mother sent me there during one school holidays when she was working but I was an anxious child and didn't like it at all.

My mother was, for a time, a dinner lady at Ballamore School.  I hated school dinners and Mum once ticked a teacher off for trying to force me to eat lumpy custard and making me retch.

Look forward to more of your memories.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 06:16:16 AM »
Well dickie how many from the estate went to Folkestone if only a few you would of known my Mum here name then was Winnie Carroll.

My sister was sent to St Albans.  Hitler gave up when I was born.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
 Well youve had chapter one So in chapter two im going to explain life in my house and freinds. I lived with my mum and dad we lived upstairs because nan and grandad were downstairs. The house is a three bed toilet downstairs  end of terrace front door to the front and pebbledashed. I grew up witha few mates their was Ken Homewood, Stan Price,Steve West and a few others I did have a friend not for long he got killed playing over the footbridge. I was told he was climbing on top of the bridge fell onto the Railway lines dont know if the fall killed him or the elecricity.My Dad had an allottment near the foot bridge but had to give it up because they were going to build a road through it . an extention of Whitefoot Lane Over the Railway onto Burnt ash. But they Didnt And the land went to the Crem instead.And the Fire stn Had a bit of ground (the old stns gone now Brand new Fire Stn. ) they wont close it down now. I remember a house caught fire Opposite the Fire Stn But they were out on a shout . Sohad to get one fron Lewisham.Hope that keeps you going . Back soon Bye.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:10:38 AM »
Does any one remember the Young's, who use to build the then famous "Young's Cycles", David was a friend and in my class at Durham Hill. I also remember that we used to have a small farm out the back of the school growing all sorts with goats and other small creatures, this was in our normal lesson time table. I might have told this before, one of the goats died, due to some person feeding the poor thing with acorns. The vet said that was the cause any way. I also Knew the Hogg family quite well due to Jean in my class and Rose when working the stalls at Lewisham markets. My younger sisters went to the girls school Carol and Jenny. The Hutchison Family was spread over the Downham Estate. My grand parents were at 225 Downham Way and cousin Tina was in Ivonhoe Rd, others cannot remember
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 05:27:41 AM »
Hutchsky, I was  familiar with the farm at the back of Durham Hill School.  My mother was a cleaner at the school for many years and the caretaker used to allow me to lead the goats around. Sometimes it was the other way round when they saw a bush they fancied for a nibble. There were also geese of which I was rather afraid and ducks.  One year, the caretaker (was it Mr Warren) sold my mother one for Christmas.  I remember being with her while they waddled about and her picking one out.  Guess who didn't enjoy her Christmas dinner that year.

Splinter, that walk from Verdant Lane over the footbridge to Burnt Ash Lane was a favourite family outing when I was a child. How exciting it was to be on the bridge when a train came through!  How awful about your friend though.

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 03:55:04 PM »
Bren - gosh - I had forgotten about the farm.  I had wondered where I had seen the farm animals during my time in Downham.  Think we have talked between ourselves about all the green areas around where we lived - and played - wonder if they are still fun places for kids as they were for us.  Expect, as with all other green places here, they are now somewhere for people to dump their rubbish.