Author Topic: Bush Fires  (Read 7986 times)

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
Bush Fires
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:17:37 AM »
Brenda, How are you coping with the bush fires, we went to "Walhalla" this time last year, that place seems to get burnt down on a regular basis, I complaned about the weather last year over east, but because it was cooler, we did not in counter any bush fires. This looks bad, with a high loss of life. We have a nut case, lighting fires in Kings Park Perth. They catch these people and slap them. They should be charged with murder or attempted murder. Perth is in for 40 deg this weeks the winds are also quite strong which is a worry with the fires. keep smiling Frank.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Bush Fires
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:38:34 AM »
We are alright at present, thank you, although still on high alert.  Yesterday was a shocker.  We got to 47oC in the garden (and that was in the shade) with very high winds and a dust-storm.  Thank heavens nothing started. Syd is on-call this weekend with his fire unit but hasn't been called out thus far.  The temperature has dropped by 27oC today (although just starting to warm up again), the wind has dropped and we even had a bit of dampening rain earlier.  Not so good for others in the state where the fires are still raging and the death toll is rising. It is a tragedy such as we have not seen for many years.

I just don't know how one can deal with arsonists.  I agree, this is murder.  I think if I caught someone lightning a fire, I'd be so angry, I'd probably push their hands into it so they couldn't strike a match again. 

Keep safe over there.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
What those fires are creating is Awful in the extreme. what kind of moron would deliberately cause a fire in those dry inflamable conditions ?   As the Australian Prime Minister has stated it is Mass Murder.  When they are apprehended you need to put them in thier own cars and Torch them publicly,hanging is far too good. I'll buy the matches          dickie.................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »
I think if the residents of the communities so affected by the fires were to get hold of the arsonists, they would be applying some rough justice instead of waiting for the law which can so often be nothing more than a paper tiger.  It's finding the bastards, isn't it?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:03:41 AM »
I think if the residents of the communities so affected by the fires were to get hold of the arsonists, they would be applying some rough justice instead of waiting for the law which can so often be nothing more than a paper tiger.  It's finding the bastards, isn't it?

Bren

Hi Bren

Just got back from a week down south of WA, have been watching the devastation on the TV.  We all thought it was a failed firie that did it and we were right.  Can't imagine the heartache those people are feeling and the anger too.  A terrible way to end your days, and children and babies too.  Our friends from the UK were in tears as they watched the news reports.  Gave some cash at the Bendigo Bank, but what else can you do?
Passed though Norseman on the way to Kalgoorlie, and someone had organised a suasage sizzle there to raise money, but is the photos and memories that have all gone.  I am sad that some of my photos have gone missing, or I haven't found out enough about grandparents etc, but to lose evertyhing is just awful.

If I have one wish it is that the judge doesn't do what usually happens and give him a slap on the wrist.  Lock him up for life, and NOT in solitary.  And to think that the other major fire was caused by a foreign electricity company!  What is going on?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 05:08:07 AM »
Just when you think the worst is over!

Another horror day forecast for tomorrow. It's all doom and gloom as far as announcements are concerned.

Lightning started a fire not so far from here on Friday. As the fierce wind was blowing from there to here, I loaded up the ute with the cases and bags which are always ready-packed, put several bottles of water in an esky etc etc (completely forgot about human food and dog food), shut the windows and doors of the house, put the key in the ute and sat and waited. 

As it turned out, the fire was not as close as the radio had informed me and by evening the fire was contained with aerial bombing of fire retardant.   

One thing it taught me is that I have far too much stuff to pick up and load if in too much of a hurry.  With that in mind, I have pared it down to one case of irreplaceable photos and sentimental treasures and documents such as birth certificates etc.  If there is time and room to take the other cases and bags and boxes, that's fine. If not, I'd be sad but what has to be and all that.

Am making sure things are ready to go tomorrow if need be. When I say 'go', I mean to the safest place on our property i.e. in the paddock where the dam is. 

Hope everyone else is keeping safe and vigilant.

Bren

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »
it sounds like a nightmare to me...I cant imagine it as it is a lovely spring day here  daffs, tulips etc., out in the garden and the sound of lawn mowers having there first outing.  Our thought are with you , family and animals. ..Belx

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »
Swap yer, Bel! 

So far, today's temperature hasn't risen as high as predicted although it's hot and muggy.  However, the wind is very fierce - sounds like an express train roaring through - and once again it looks like the Gobi Desert in a sandstorm. In fact, go outside and you get instant dermabrasion! 

I can see one tree down and bits of others and some damage to the shearing shed roof but haven't been able to venture very far to check on anything else.  However, so far we are in one piece and no fires in the vicinity now. Fingers crossed and all that.

Thank you all for the good wishes,
Bren

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 01:10:58 PM »
I can remember the high winds years ago...waking up and finding my shed in next doors garden and all the fencing down, along with some trees in Greenwich Park and I thought that was traumatic enough .  Your words have made me have a clear out of all unnecessary paper work, my most important possessions being my mother's wedding and engagement rings which are always on my finger.....the memories are all in my head.....If anything happened I would just grab my little dog  who is still poorly, my handbag and try and get to safety (just been diagnosed with osteoporosis so could hardly run). It is raining today but altho it is getting colder is still bright.  My thoughts are with you every day, so please keep us informed .  You seem so organized which I do admire,  I would be running around like a headless chicken.  Belx

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
All is well. We've got some woodchopping and fence repairs to do at the weekend but have come through unscathed. Today it is cool and drizzling.  It's wonderful to see the wet stuff.

Pauline and Hutch, I hope you are both safe.

Bren

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »
THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT....Belx

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:40:58 PM »
,We have had some hot weather and windy conditions, but things have cooled down, it was only 4deg the other night. (10deg here that's a min not a max). just up the road, near Pauline's neck of the woods, around 31 today max. I am on the coast, the bush is a few kms away. Had a bush fire close last night, with the water bomber flying over the house, apart from the noise we are going well, we seem to have the nutters with their butt ends and another lot letting off distress flares into the bush, they caught them, but a slap over the wrist is all they will get. We are now coming into our cooler weather the best time of year in WA.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 01:26:49 AM »
,We have had some hot weather and windy conditions, but things have cooled down, it was only 4deg the other night. (10deg here that's a min not a max). just up the road, near Pauline's neck of the woods, around 31 today max. I am on the coast, the bush is a few kms away. Had a bush fire close last night, with the water bomber flying over the house, apart from the noise we are going well, we seem to have the nutters with their butt ends and another lot letting off distress flares into the bush, they caught them, but a slap over the wrist is all they will get. We are now coming into our cooler weather the best time of year in WA.

Warmish again today 33 deg.  I can handle that. I don't know if the WA firebugs got jittery over the VIC fires, but we only had a few loonies this year, mainly in Kings Park, but I think the Police have a handle on him.
We had a trip 'down south' at the beginning of February (with our Essex friends) we stayed at Margaret River, Albany, Esperance and Kalgoorlie.  Lovely weather all the way until we got to Kal, 41 deg was just terrible, but it's normal for that time of the year.  Chris and John were amazed at the distances covered, until we told them that we had only seen 1/10th of the state.  They were also amazed at the difference from Esperance to Kalgoorlie, and how the countryside changed so dramatically.  Apart from the fact that we never saw another car for miles on end.
I had bought Pete a NavSat for Christmas, and we had great fun with that, took us to the front door of every motel we had booked into - never got lost once.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 04:30:28 AM »
Those sat Nav's are great. The people at my old work place, brought me one when I retired, a Tom Tom, they sure help me on the trip around OZ, also I am a volunteer diver with the older folk around Rockingham and it gets me out of trouble. Nice to have this perfect weather.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 04:45:12 AM »
Spoke to soon, 3 homes lost in a bush fire in Bridgetown (well south) and another NE of Perth in Wandowie, homes being evacuated, not time for relaxing yet in fire prone areas