Author Topic: Heatwave  (Read 17762 times)

Bel

• View Profile
Re: Heatwave
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
I remember the tins of Dawn Peas.....the only ones my kids wold eat......lovely....Bel

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 01:57:55 AM »
Good to know you remember that winter, Chris.  As for snow-moving equipment, if I remember correctly, all that used to be available were council trucks spreading salt and/or sand.  Perhaps that is considered too old-fashioned a way to clear roads for transport.  As for schools being closed - how ridiculous.  I remember plodding to school and snow going over the top of my wellington boots.  Nobody would have thought it too hard to get there, would they?  Ah, but we were made of sturdier stuff perhaps!

Bren

We lived on the Isle of Sheppey, and I remember the snow we had in 1986/7, we couldn't get off the island for 2 days!  But a friend of ours had a JCB and hired himself out to the council, his wife had to drag him off the thing - he was earning meggga bucks.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
The pub you cant remember was the NORTHOVER. Its a petrol stn now
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »
The "Northover" gosh that's a while back ,before Danny la Rue bought it and changed the name to "The Governor General" to honour Lord Forster I believe. I remember it even better when the land was part of Perry's Farm, I guess that makes me an antique.My younger brother (by 26 years !) is still living in the old flat in Tristram Rd.,             dickie................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
The "Northover" gosh that's a while back ,before Danny la Rue bought it and changed the name to "The Governor General" to honour Lord Forster I believe. dickie................
Didn't realise the Northover was no longer in existence - and was it truly taken over by Danny la Rue?  Haven't been back to the area since 1992 so when did all this happen?

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »
Not long after you was last their about 1992/3 at the latest The pub had deep cellars so was good to put feul tanks in.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »
I remember the pink roses that used to climb over the wall around the pub garden.  I also remember my friend and I being chased away if we dared to play any ball games on the forecourt.  Now I think about it, it was not surprising given the risk something going straight through the windows. At the time, we felt quite affronted and embarrassed by it.

An antique, eh Dickie. Well, we all know how valuable antiques are, don't we?

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 03:03:33 AM »
I remember the pink roses that used to climb over the wall around the pub garden.  I also remember my friend and I being chased away if we dared to play any ball games on the forecourt.  Now I think about it, it was not surprising given the risk something going straight through the windows. At the time, we felt quite affronted and embarrassed by it.

An antique, eh Dickie. Well, we all know how valuable antiques are, don't we?

Bren

I looked on google earth maps and I can't find the Northover at all!!!!!
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »
I spent about 2 years of Sunday's working at Brownies stall 1955 to 1957 at that pub, The Northover, thanks for jogging the old brain.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
Browny's That takes me back Used to come around the estate in what i thought was a big truck selling his goods. Ialso remember the Muffin man<seafood man and a man with his horse that you could sit on and have a photo done.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 03:22:23 AM »
I worked for Brownie for about 2 years 1955-1957, the truck ops! Lorry was, what I did, the Northover was an extra at weekends, I got to know a lot of Downham people. I missed the last year of my schooling working the round, and used to hide up in the lorry when we went along Keedonwood road, if mum or dad caught me I would have been in for a hiding. But it was fun at the time, I don't know how, I was not caught, what with the family living all around Downham, me out front with old brownie calling out pea o greengrocer at the top of my voice,fun times.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »
I worked for Brownie for about 2 years 1955-1957, the truck ops! Lorry was, what I did, the Northover was an extra at weekends, I got to know a lot of Downham people. I missed the last year of my schooling working the round, and used to hide up in the lorry when we went along Keedonwood road, if mum or dad caught me I would have been in for a hiding. But it was fun at the time, I don't know how, I was not caught, what with the family living all around Downham, me out front with old brownie calling out pea o greengrocer at the top of my voice,fun times.

I am remembering the winkle man coming round on a Sunday, and Dad going out to get a pint of winkles and a pint of shrimps.  I loved winkles.  Can't get them here, and the shrimps are like prawns and the prawns are like lobsters!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 09:08:18 AM »
Brownies has got Quite big now they have got a few shops But i see a lot of trucks and vans delivering flowers all over south east england and as far up as Birmingham. (Sombody should of stayed with them could of been general manager by now).

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 12:52:11 AM »

Pauline, what's it like over west at the moment?  I've said it before and I'll say it again: roll on winter.

Bren

Bren at last it has cooled down, AND we have had 'some' rain, although I'm not too sure that it reached the ground, but it was certainly in the air.  We have a young Pom staying with us, he is 20 years old, and very uninformed when it comes to Australia.   We were trying to tell him that when the weather girl says "there is a chance of rain" it really isn't going to happen.  And he is amused that she apologises for there not being any rain about.
I was amused to read in the English papers online, that England had had its hottest day this year and everyone was high tailing it down to the beach - it was 17 deg!!

Splinter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
Yes but 17oC in  March is like 100o in OZ Surly Dont you get fed up with the heat Its nice now and again. But when it comes so rarely here you can appreciate it. And Last Summer you had to for the FOUR DAYS of good weather we had.