Author Topic: Heatwave  (Read 17763 times)

Brenda

• View Profile
Heatwave
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:43:02 AM »
Okay folks, who is glad they aren't going to be around for global warming?  Meeeeeeeeeee!

This is the 3rd day of our heatwave. We've reached 41oC for two days running and it's not over yet.  The forecast says the temperature will drop on Sunday to the mid 30s.  Well, we'll all have fried by then.  Thank heaven for air-conditioning but mostly thank heaven for the dam and a good dunking every couple of hours.  The sheep have been sheltering all day and a couple of brave (or foolish) cows have ventured from the shade to graze for a little while.  Even the little finches that live in the gum tree in the garden have resorted to coming down to find shade under the house. 

Pauline, what's it like over west at the moment?  I've said it before and I'll say it again: roll on winter.

Bren

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Heatwave
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
bren, my Dutch granddaughter will be delighted and this time insread of looking after animals she will be studying the habits and habitat of marine life,mainly dolphins . Amanda will be based in Bunbury. Its a shame our Keith isn't around . her brother Daniel will remain in Brisbane for around three months thence to Surabaya. I could persuad my other half to join them for a couple of weeks during cooler periods !. dickie.............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:10:59 PM »
You must be very proud of their achievements, Dickie.  It seems that South Australia and Victoria are the states suffering from these extreme temperatures.  It was 45oC in the sun yesterday and the same is due for today. The house didn't get a chance to cool down overnight so we're off to a bad start. Everything has fried - including me.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:09:50 AM »
You must be very proud of their achievements, Dickie.  It seems that South Australia and Victoria are the states suffering from these extreme temperatures.  It was 45oC in the sun yesterday and the same is due for today. The house didn't get a chance to cool down overnight so we're off to a bad start. Everything has fried - including me.

Bren

Hi Bren
Been reading about your heat, we are used to those sort of temperatures.  Lucky for us there is a cyclone up north, and we are getting the cool weather as a result.  Its 30deg and humid today.  Pete and John (from UK) are off to the cricket at the WACA.  We had temperatures in the 40s last week, but thats just part of the summer here, we have the sea breeze (the Fremantle Doctor) come in around noon and that cools everything down.  Fans on all night so we can get some sleep.  Chris and John (visitors) don't mind the heat, they have just come from temperatures of -5 deg.  Craig (son of a friend) is here trying to get a job, his parents decided against coming, but Craig wants to join our Police.  He is really feeling the heat, he plays rugby, and finds it hard going.  But he will get over it. He keeps aying isn't it hot, and we keep saying "not really". Spooks him out.
Just spied a Bandicoot under my kitchen window eating the thrown out bread and vegies, and we have heaps of water dishes around, filled by the reticulation, for the wild life.

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »
Phew - I couldn't stand this heat on a regular basis, particularly with this awful hot wind.  I never thought I'd look forward to temps in the  30s but I am now!

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:49:16 AM »
Hi saw the dreadful pictures on TV last night of some of the fires around the Sydney area - what a dreadful time you are having down under.  If it makes you feel any better - we are preparing ourselves for a lot of snow in the east and south east of UK which the Russians are sending us - apparently overnight - and will be the first true snowfall for us this winter although the north and Scotland have already had their fair share. This is supposed to be the coldest winter for several years (and one of the wettest) - global warming - what global warming!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:49:19 AM »
There's a bad fire down in Gippsland (Victoria) too.  About 30 homes have gone but no deaths as yet.  That's quite a way from us although we've got plenty of their smoke hanging about here.  Lightning hit a tree in the forest not far from us and started a fire. Syd dashed off to join his fire unit but was back within about an hour with things getting quickly under control. I did my usual: got my most precious things to the back door ready to put in the ute and filled buckets with water in case any embers flew this way.  It's a pathetic effort really but no way am I going to stop to protect the house. I'm off up to the safest paddock to sit anything out and hope the watebombers get here fast!  No heroics for me.

Have heard about the snow and very cold weather over there.  Must be very cold for so many people to comment on it.

Bren

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:06:58 AM »
Brenda i was in your part of the world last year and it was cold and I mean cold, I was glad to get out of Victoria, only because of the weather  us WA people its a norm, for high temps its summer time, just think of them cold days in Downham and things don't seem so Bad.
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downhamonline.org.uk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
Jjust think of them cold days in Downham and things don't seem so Bad.

Well, it is certainly cold today. The deepest snow I can remember seeing for a good many years, and London is effectively closed of course.

I will wander out later with the camera and try to get some pictures loaded later so those of you sweltering in heat down under can consider if the grass is greener. Or whiter. Or browner!

Mike

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:49:16 PM »
What I don't understand is why London has ground to a halt.  Does anyone else remember the winter of 1962/63?  It started snowing on Boxing Day and didn't stop for 3 months.  There was still snow on the ground in April.  Things slowed down a bit but didn't grind to a complete halt.  Why has that happened this time?

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »
Bren, I certainly remember the snow of 62/3 - and managed to get into work in the City - if often late - but on most days.  I asked the fountain of knowledge (he who knows everything and to whom I have been married for many years) why the country cannot cope with what is basically a very small amount of snow compared to some parts of the world.  It would seem (according to himself and now being said generally) that it is uneconomic for this country to have the same amount of snow moving equipment that the usual snow bound countries have because, as has been said, this is the first heavy fall in this part of the country for 10 years so what is the point of having lots of equipment that is just going to sit idle for long periods of time. Mind you, it apparently cost the country 3 billion on Monday alone in lost revenue. I think the only snow as far as I can remember since the early nineties was one winter in the eighties when we bought a sleigh for the kids to use and hasn't been used since, one Easter in 1977 which I remember because we had not long moved house and Alistair was only 2 years old (we have the pics).  Somebody in the newspaper wanted to know why the Underground had failed on Monday - probably due to the fact that only one underground line in London does not actually come above ground - no reason for the buses to stop - I remember they bravely continued in the 1960's. I also cannot understand why the schools had to close - I don't remember that happening when I was at school but of course in those days teachers lived very near to their schools and cars were a novelty so we all WALKED!  My granddaughter's school in Malmesbury has stayed open all through the snow and they are still being snowed upon as I type!  Oh well, at least it took our minds off the credit crunch and must have suited the powers that be very well to have us thinking about something else!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:28:22 AM »
Good to know you remember that winter, Chris.  As for snow-moving equipment, if I remember correctly, all that used to be available were council trucks spreading salt and/or sand.  Perhaps that is considered too old-fashioned a way to clear roads for transport.  As for schools being closed - how ridiculous.  I remember plodding to school and snow going over the top of my wellington boots.  Nobody would have thought it too hard to get there, would they?  Ah, but we were made of sturdier stuff perhaps!

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 03:05:59 AM »
Brenda i was in your part of the world last year and it was cold and I mean cold, I was glad to get out of Victoria, only because of the weather  us WA people its a norm, for high temps its summer time, just think of them cold days in Downham and things don't seem so Bad.

Hi Hutchsky
You're just down the road to me - I'm in Wandi.  Where did you live on Downham and when?
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:47 AM »
Hi Pauline, I use to live at lot 86 Lyon Road Wandi for 4 years, my long time friends the Harbens lived at lot 10 Lyon Road, I was their when we had the big bush fire, I was lucky only had spot fires the next but one was burnt down. Now I have been wondering were you lived I should had guest! I have been over a big part of Oz, but Wandi was alive with snakes, I am not a snake liking person. Should have a coffee with our partners one day?
Born 1942 at Farnbrough Hospital Kent now living in Rockingham WA been in OZ since 1968. Ex Durham Hill School left 1957 lived at 84 Keedonwood Road 1948-1960

Frank (hutchsky)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
Pauline, I re-read your post, you can tell I was educated at Durham Hill. I lived in Keedonwood Road From 1948-1960, I then went into the army, at Durham Hill for 4years, and work for Browie the Greengrocer shouting "Pea O Greengrocer" walking around the streets of Downham, and use to work the stall at the top of Whitefoot/Verdent lane camnnot remember the name of the pub. Then we live at the Brangborn Flats (not spelt right) off Old Bromley Road/Bottom Downham way.Imoved to Brownhill Road Catford with my first wife.