Author Topic: New Members  (Read 4694 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
New Members
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:13:27 AM »
I've noticed from time to time new members appear.  I wish they would introduce themselves, we may get a different outlook on Downham, and maybe some of them are younger, and we get a different perspective altogether.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

christine

• View Profile
Re: New Members
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »
Pauline - I was wondering the same. People seem to join and then disappear and it would be so good to have an update of the old place.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 01:26:02 AM »
Yes we need people who live in Downham now to let us know what is going on. Mind you I phoned a friend on Shroffold rd recently, He told me that nobody will go out by themselves after dark because of the violence and the gangs. What a bloody shame, I remember as a kid playing on Churchdown rd to well into darkness and nobody worried, it makes me feel sad because the same sort of thing has started to happen here in Canada. It is depressing.
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
I have a friend who visits me and still lives in Arcus Road.  A gang of girls were making her life a misery last summer , playing in her front garden and breaking her fence down..so much in fact that the police were involved.  She is planning on moving as most of the people she knew have moved away now.  Bel

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:46:28 PM »
You are right, Smiffy, it is sad.  The Downham we remember was a pretty safe place, wasn't it?  As you say, we went out to play and never came home until it was dark.   Or is it that we only hear of the bad stuff and not the good - rather like the television news and the newspapers.

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:51:56 AM »
You are right, Smiffy, it is sad.  The Downham we remember was a pretty safe place, wasn't it?  As you say, we went out to play and never came home until it was dark.   Or is it that we only hear of the bad stuff and not the good - rather like the television news and the newspapers.

Bren

I remember Downham was a family.  You never ever intimidated or acted against a fellow Downhamite.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »
cheer up, theres a new young lady reading yor views, welcom Ann Hood (nee Goldsmith) formerly of Tristram rd. and I think a relative of Bels now make the sun shine    dickie...............
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »
My relatives were the Goldsmiths of Reigate Road.......perhaps Ann is an offshoot of them? Funny enough I have found several of them on Facebook and have now been in contact with relatives I lost touch with many moons ago.  I am still on the old Sarsparella Dickie!

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:22:30 AM »
My relatives were the Goldsmiths of Reigate Road.......perhaps Ann is an offshoot of them? Funny enough I have found several of them on Facebook and have now been in contact with relatives I lost touch with many moons ago.  I am still on the old Sarsparella Dickie!

I'm pretty sure I went to Launcelot School at the same time as Ann Goldsmith, she was friends with Brenda Goodacre I think?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:55:59 PM »
I've noticed from time to time new members appear.  I wish they would introduce themselves, we may get a different outlook on Downham, and maybe some of them are younger, and we get a different perspective altogether.

Another anonymous new member.  Please - if you are a new member, can you please tell us about yourself?  We would love to hear from you all.