Author Topic: Doggies and Vets  (Read 8173 times)

Bel

• View Profile
Doggies and Vets
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
My dear little crossbred (collie/lab) five years old and from a rescue centre - she had five places of abode before she was 14 weeks old - has just been diagnosed with Addisons Disease which is apparently  very rare (my vet has only had one more case in 10 years). This means she will be on medication for the rest of her life and in two weeks has already cost me 600. having to stay at the vets overnight as well as being on a drip. Unfortunately I have not got her insured .However her drugs will be affordable once she is stabilized. We all love her dearly and are lucky that we can afford this.   On talking to the vet however, I was dismayed to hear that people are bringing in their pets to be put down as they cannot afford the vets fees. Rescue centres have a waiting list of 6 weeks to 3 months and although there are centres to take sick animals (a small charge is asked for) such as R.S.P.C.A. and P.D.S.A. you have to be on certain benefits .There is a waiting list for appointments as well.  Bel

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Doggies and Vets
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »
So sorry to hear about your Dog , Bel. We have a Poodle She is 11 years old and She has trouble with her back legs. Yes, it is a shame, some people should not own pets because they are not prepared to look after them, and they have them put down.You should be proud of yourself for the sacrifice you have to make for the sake of your Dog. 
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:22:52 AM »
So sorry to hear your dog has been so poorly, Bel.  She was certainly lucky to find a good permanent home with you and no doubt has repaid you with love and friendship.

Veterinary treatment is so terribly expensive, isn't it? One of the problems is, these days, that treatments for animals have progressed so much. Once upon a time, when they had something serious, there was no question but that they would be humanely put down.  Now, 'something' can always be done and owners are then in a quandary. Do they spend the required amount of money for treatment that may or may not work and that may or may not give the animal the length or quality of life to justify the cost.  Just how far do we pet owners go? We love our animals but there often has to be a limit, doesn't there?  It's a difficult problem.

One our late and much lamented dog was a rottweiler that we got aged 7 months from  rescue centre. She had been surrendered by her owners because they could not afford the projected treatment for her chronic skin problems.  Well, that  dog cost us many, many hundreds of dollars in diagnosis and ongoing treatment over the six years we managed to keep her going in a comfortable state. That wasn't easy.  Among the dozens and dozens of things she was allergic to was 'dog hair'!  Really it was a nightmare and I applaud her first owners for recognising they would not be able to cope financially and surrendering her.  Still, we were never sorry we got her because she might have gone to others who would have let her scratch herself to death. She was such a darling too.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:36:13 AM »
Oh Bel, I feel for you.  I do so hope that all will be well.

You all know the ongoing problems I have with my 14 yo kelpie X "Tella".  She was given 3 months to live in March, but she is still running about like a looney.  All due to the $150 a month for her injections and $50 a month for her aspirin.  She has to have a small dose of aspirin 10mg, otherwise, as with all animals, she will get side effects.

I have got the other two covered by insurance now, but cattle dogs rarely get problems, still it's nice to be covered.
Keep us informed Bel!

Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:43:38 PM »
Wow Pauline, that's a lot of money to have to fork out each month. Still, she is obviously worth it to you. And how is your doggy doing now Bel?

Bren

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:02:49 PM »
little Sapphie has to go to the vet every week to have her blood checked. The high dose of medication she is on makes her very very hungry and she has been getting me up in the night for an extra dinner (already has sometimes 3 a day).The vet says that she cant help this and I must get up and feed her .  He is a lovely young man and to see her eating once again it is worth it. The funny thing is her coat (which is very thick) is changing colour, and is showing through in patches of grey (she is a black dog with a white bib) and he cannot explain this.  What with the scabs on her ears, a funny coat, and a rather plump tummy she is truly a dog only a mother could love.   We took her to Greenwich park today (her favourite park to chase the squirrels ) and I have never known her to have such energy, how long it will last I dont know but we just take every day as it comes with her. Thank you all for your interest ..these little animals are so precious..\bel

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
All I can say Bel and Pauline is that your pets are blessed with such lovely people as you to look after them.  I almost took over two cats today who were being put into an RSPCA shelter.  Briefly, they belonged to a young couple with a baby, the husband had left, the girl was moving away to a cheaper area and the cats (sisters) had to be rehomed.  I was talking to the girl's mother and it seemed that many of the animal sanctuaries were so full that they had to take the poor creatures on a journey to a shelter on the south coast.  It would seem that the credit crunch is affecting not just humans but pets as well.  I am not in a position to take on cats at the moment but as soon as Christmas is over I am contacting the RSPCA to see if they still have the cats in their protection.  Another thing I have noticed in recent months is an ever increasing number of adverts both where I live and in other places of pets that have gone missing particularly dogs.  This upsets me greatly to think of a loved pet wandering around the streets looking for home or, even worse, been deliberately taken.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »
Update on Sapphie.....she is getting on fine and her medication is being reduced slightly. so fingers (and toes crossed) xxxxxx

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:20:29 AM »
Update on Sapphie.....she is getting on fine and her medication is being reduced slightly. so fingers (and toes crossed) xxxxxx

I've crossed everything, can hardly type or walk.  So pleased she's improved.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 01:09:44 AM »

Glad to here the news Bel.              yEp fIngERs hAnD tOsE KrosSed< tYpinG wItH KnoSE
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:11:37 AM by JSmith »
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »
ahhhh...what a lovely lot of friends you are... your comments are so appreciated.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 01:33:49 AM »
Wow Pauline, that's a lot of money to have to fork out each month. Still, she is obviously worth it to you. And how is your doggy doing now Bel?

Bren

I don't know if I let you know that my Tella lost her fight.  She had become ill again, very bloated around the middle, her heart was just not taking the fluid away.  We had her drained again, but she became ill and so I took her back to our Vets again. While we were sitting there, she became very ill, and had obviously made up her own mind that she had had enough, and she died with us there. She was about 14/15 years old, we never had her from a Pup so we don't know exactly how old she was.  The other 2 boys miss her, they had always known that she was in charge, and now they have to make their own decisions, something they are not used to doing because she was always there for them. Charlie moans a lot and goes out looking when it is time to come in for the night, just to make sure we haven't locked her out.  She is now back with us in her lovely Rosewood box, and sits with all the others.  When we finally decide where we are going to end our days, we shall bury them all in the garden, somewhere nice - in the shade.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:57:31 AM by Pauline »

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
I am sorry to hear about Tella, how very sad, but she was so fortunate to have you for her mum.  Have just come back from the vet yet again (every week now) as Sapphie has to have blood tests every two weeks and her medication adjusted accordingly, (potasium and sodium levels are too high). It was her birthday last week (6) so she had extra chicken. For the last 5 years she has been on a diet to keep her weight down, but since being diagnosed with Addisons disease I have a hard job to keep her weight up.....cant seem to win this fight.     My daughter in law who lives in Nottingham is a vet and has just added to her family of animals by adopting yet another cat.  This one is cross eyed, has no tail and only 3 legs (was savaged by a dog 2 weeks ago) Her other two cats each have one eye missing were in road traffic accidents. Belx

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 01:06:12 AM »
I am sorry to hear about Tella, how very sad, but she was so fortunate to have you for her mum.  Have just come back from the vet yet again (every week now) as Sapphie has to have blood tests every two weeks and her medication adjusted accordingly, (potasium and sodium levels are too high). It was her birthday last week (6) so she had extra chicken. For the last 5 years she has been on a diet to keep her weight down, but since being diagnosed with Addisons disease I have a hard job to keep her weight up.....cant seem to win this fight.     My daughter in law who lives in Nottingham is a vet and has just added to her family of animals by adopting yet another cat.  This one is cross eyed, has no tail and only 3 legs (was savaged by a dog 2 weeks ago) Her other two cats each have one eye missing were in road traffic accidents. Belx

The things we do - I have now insured Charlie and Harry, which was just as well because they had a set to some weeks back, and Charlie got a lump bitten out of him side and chest, Harry had a badly mauled ear but otherwise OK.  Harry healed nicely (it always looks worse that it is, doesn't it?) But Charlie got infected and so it was off to the vets with him, he has now healed nicely, and we got 80% of the vets bill back, I even had him chipped though the insurance.  The car ride was horrendous, he really is such a wimp. Now I have to pluck up the courage to take Harry and get him chipped, but as there has never been a need for them to go anywhere by car, it turns into a nightmare.  Charlie has been terrible since Tella went, he won't leave my side, and he really wanted to get onto my lap whilst I was driving.  Poor Chris (our Essex friend) really had to hold onto him.  I think I will have to invest in a cage for the car.  My Bessie (a blue heeler) would sit in the back seat with a seatbelt on and never moved. Tella would move from side to side but not attempt to get into the front.  But Charlie UGH!!!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »
So sorry you've had to say goodbye to your dear Tella. I hope you take comfort in knowing she had many wonderful years with you and that she died with her beloved family with her.  It's always hard, isn't it?

The others are obviously keeping you very busy.  We had a couple of males that had regular bingles and it was horrendous.  I don't know how I endured the worry of it actually.  One got sick after we'd had him for 4years and had to be put down.  It's the only time I've felt relief that a dog had to go. I vowed I would never have two males again- although we've had a couple in the past and had no problems.  Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Bren