Author Topic: Has the Estate Changed for good or bad  (Read 3280 times)

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
Has the Estate Changed for good or bad
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
As i regularly go back to Downham i find the estate changing before my eyes. I used to know so many people, but now unless their over 60 i dont know anybody have they all moved away. My family has been in Pendragon since 1935.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Pauline

• View Profile
Re: Has the Estate Changed for good or bad
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:41:11 AM »
As i regularly go back to Downham i find the estate changing before my eyes. I used to know so many people, but now unless their over 60 i dont know anybody have they all moved away. My family has been in Pendragon since 1935.

I haven't been back since 1994 - I noticed a big difference then.  The cars were the main thing, remembering discussions we have had about how we would play in the streets, and not see a car for hours, if at all.  Roller skating round the roads, and never having to worry about being knocked down.
Of course no forward planning in those days - people living on Downham would NEVER be able to afford cars would they - so no garages.  I knew everyone in Geraint Road, I can't say that Mum and Dad did, but everyone had kids, so we all knew each other.
And it all seemed so small.  Perhaps my eyes have become used to vast expanses of nothing, and being able to see for miles. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Splinter

• MSN Messenger - jef55@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:19:16 AM »
Because everybody has now got more cars than children and with the streets so narrow they are all allowed to park on the pavement. But i feel that the biggest change is the same in most places the friendlyness has gone. Dont get me wrong their are still some nice people there.
Born in Pendragon Road 1954 Family lived in house since 1935 Bought in 1970/1 Still own it.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:25:42 PM »
I wonder if some of the friendliness has gone because people just don't seem to stay in one place for a long time.  Also, from the photos I've seen, people have now got high fences around the gardens so no calling out to the neighbours when hanging washing on the line or mowing the lawn.

As for parking on the pavement - where do the kids play hopscotch?  Ah,  they don't, do they - probably all stuck indoors on their computers.

You're right Pauline, it would never have occurred to anyone in the higher echelons that Downham folk might one day be able to have a car. Actually, I remember a friend's father giving me a lift home and him having a bit of a moan about all the cars he had to weave around and the fact that Downham folk had the cheek to be in low-cost housing but 'can afford to buy a car'.  Hmmmph.

Bren