Author Topic: THE CIRCUS IS BACK  (Read 9267 times)

Bel

• View Profile
THE CIRCUS IS BACK
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »
The Moscow State Circus is on Blackheath next week. When my son was little (he is 53 now) it was part of his birthday treat every year  to attend and a circus still arrives on Blackheath on his birthday to this day.  Of course you had the elephants, lions and tigers  etc., then but now it is just trapeze artists, clowns etc.On mothers day this year my youngest son took me to a circus and I was thrilled to bits and thoroughly enjoyed it (just a big kid at heart). The candyfloss went down a treat and the smell of the big top and the sawdust brought back many happy memories.  Belx ;D

Brenda

• View Profile
Re: THE CIRCUS IS BACK
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:29:21 AM »
My one and only trip to the circus when I was a little girl was blighted by seeing the conditions in  which the animals lived.  I never, ever wanted to go to a circus again and never did.  I approve of animal-less circuses and would probably enjoy the thrill of it all with just human entertainers.

Bren

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »
yes.  I used to feel so sad to see the elephants when they were tied up together at the back of the big top, still swaying their trunks as if in time to some music that only they could hear.  It is so much nicer now and I just love the high wire artists, what skill they have.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:22:47 AM »
The Moscow State Circus is on Blackheath next week. When my son was little (he is 53 now) it was part of his birthday treat every year  to attend and a circus still arrives on Blackheath on his birthday to this day.   Belx ;D

I told Pete, he lived in Blackheath, and like me, allthough we were always taken to the fair we never were taken to the circus.  We have a circus that comes every year, my daughter took her children but they hated it and found it boring.  I really never had the inclination to go.  Get all the family together at Christmas and we've got our own circus!!!!!! ;D
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

JSmith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »
All the Animals in a Circus should be either in a Zoo, if they cannot return to the wild, otherwise all Animals should be left in the wild.
And not used too entertain humans.

:) My Wife just informed me that She is thinking of sending me back to the wild. ;)
Born 1945 Churchdown road.

You can take the Boy out of Downham,but you cant take Downham out of the Boy.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
All wild animals should be free.I remember going to the zoo with the school and many years later taking my children to the same zoo, and the same lions were still there in the very same cages, I felt so sad for them.

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:23:32 PM »
oh  just to   mention we had a really glorious sunny day yesterday, really hot in the 70s so we paid our last visit of the season to Minster on the Isle of Sheppy .Folk were in swimming and windsurfing and it was like mid summer.  As if to give lie to that the trees are really beautiful all different shades of Autumn. We actually found the old Minster but unfortunately it was closed as it is only open when they have a service.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:20:28 AM »
oh  just to   mention we had a really glorious sunny day yesterday, really hot in the 70s so we paid our last visit of the season to Minster on the Isle of Sheppy .Folk were in swimming and windsurfing and it was like mid summer.  As if to give lie to that the trees are really beautiful all different shades of Autumn. We actually found the old Minster but unfortunately it was closed as it is only open when they have a service.
My daughter was married in the old Minster.  We lived just down the hill in Minster Road.  I remember a long hot summer when the kids were smaller, going to the beach up by The White House, and having our dinner up there, and just sitting in the water cooling down.It's 30 deg here today (86f), weather up and down at the moment.  Only 24 deg tomorrow.  Cant keep up with it.
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
I too remember going to the circus when I was little - either Billy Smarts or Bertram Mills - one of those.  Yes -I also abhor the conditions that zoo animals are kept in and many years ago when we were living in Southampton I made a complaint in the form of a letter to the local newspaper.  It never did get printed - guess it would probably have upset too many people.  Fortunately now we have places like Longleat in Wiltshire and Marwell in Hampshire where the animals are allowed to roam and although you could say that to a degree they are captive, they certainly put a lot of time and effort into preserving different species that would otherwise become extinct.  I'm afraid I have never liked seeing any animal in a cage but have to admit that when my daughter was small she did have rabbits, guinea pigs and gerbils - all, though, were allowed to have use of the garden except the gerbils who would have been fair game for the cats!

Can I just make mention of the wonderful Autumn colours we are seeing at the moment.  We've just come back from a week in Cornwall with daughter and family staying at a Forestry Commission lodge site called Deer Park and the colours were breathtaking.  Can highly recommend the holiday for any of you out there who have children/grandchildren to entertain on family holidays as long as you don't mind bat watching or pond dipping and lots of other mucky activities - oh and quite forgot hauling in small crabs from the harbour side at Looe with lumps of bread!  Unfortunately had to miss all this myself as granddaughter is only 6 months old!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 02:21:14 AM »
Your holiday must have been lovely ,Chris.  I hope you all returned invigorated.

By the way, I have recently been sent 293 pages of genealogy concerning my father's side. On it is a Frederick Clark Bourne born 1887 in Woolwich.  Any connection?
He is, so FTM tells me, my 4th cousin, once removed, of his wife.  Hmmm. Work that one out if you can!

Fascinating stuff though.  It seems a few branches of the family did quite well for themselves with properties in the most prestigious of London's West End whereas my lot ended up in the slums of Bermondsey.  Where's the justice, she asks.  Where's the money!

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
Your holiday must have been lovely ,Chris.  I hope you all returned invigorated.

By the way, I have recently been sent 293 pages of genealogy concerning my father's side. On it is a Frederick Clark Bourne born 1887 in Woolwich.  Any connection?
He is, so FTM tells me, my 4th cousin, once removed, of his wife.  Hmmm. Work that one out if you can!

Fascinating stuff though.  It seems a few branches of the family did quite well for themselves with properties in the most prestigious of London's West End whereas my lot ended up in the slums of Bermondsey.  Where's the justice, she asks.  Where's the money!

Bren

Hi Bren - I do know that the Bourne family were all Londoners and there were many of them - my father being the youngest of his family and born in 1904.  Some of them did alright for themselves, I believe, but none of it ever came my dad's way.  Apparently my niece did a family tree at the beginning of the year and I have been promised a copy - maybe something will turn up on that.  Anyway, how do you fancy a visit by a long lost relative.................... Only joking - you know me and flying!

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 01:08:44 AM »
Yeah, funny how some of us lost out on the inheritance, isn't it?  Ah well, such is life.
If you find any of your Bourne's married a Biddle, let me know!

Bren

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 02:00:13 AM »

Bren

Hi All

I investigated all this 1st cousin umpteen times removed business some time back.  We couldn't figure out what relation someone was to me in my family.   You might find the following WikiPedia entry interesting.  You might then want a cuppa tea, a bex and a lie down. It's all too hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 04:58:03 AM »
I shall endeavour to find that Pauline.  No luck so far though. Family Tree Maker does give a kinship report. I am intrigued to find 'half-cousin (so many times removed etc). It leads me to wonder which half.  Bottom half? Top, left or right. 

Bren

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:48 AM »
Okay - got it.  As you say, Pauline, mind boggling.  Ah well, from now on if I find anyone with whom I shared an ancestor, they will be known by me a cousin.  Keep it simple,eh?
Bren