Author Topic: chickens  (Read 5811 times)

Bel

• View Profile
chickens
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »
 ::)I  dont know why, but suddenly I was thinking about how most people who had gardens on the Downham Estate where I lived kept chickens in their garden. My dad used to go "up the lane" and purchase these day old chicks which were kept warm in a box by the side of the fire. A few of them died (and I shed a few tears for them) and as the remaining ones grew they were put in a pen in the garden and eventually we had new laid eggs for breakfast and a fresh chicken for Christmas dinner. Both my grandmothers kept chickens as well (no foxes about then as I can recall).Next door to us they had two turkeys running around the garden (one of them got out and got run over).The remaining turkey made a lovely Christmas dinner for them.

christine

• View Profile
Re: chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
Spot on Bel - my dad had chickens at the bottom of the garden and do you know what - we would love to have chickens now but there is some by-law or whatever that says we cannot have them in a town garden.  Dad also had, I remember, the most wonderful vegetable garden and when he died in his early fifties our next door neighbour took over the care of it.  I suspect when we downsize and move somewhere a little more rural that my other half will be getting his hens.  Stuart (the other half) always remembers that his nan kept rabbits as well as chickens in her garden in Sittingbourne but, again, they were in residence on a temporary basis and often ended up in a casserole (stew - as they were called then) and the fur was used for gloves! 

Bel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »
ahhhh  yes I remember my pet rabbit Queenie (who came from Haircuts of course and cost ten shillings} Meat was scarce during the war and she duly ended up in the stewpot. I hated school dinners but had them until the last of my pets bones were boiled up and made into soup. 

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:54:41 AM »
::)I  dont know why, but suddenly I was thinking about how most people who had gardens on the Downham Estate where I lived kept chickens in their garden. My dad used to go "up the lane" and purchase these day old chicks which were kept warm in a box by the side of the fire. A few of them died (and I shed a few tears for them) and as the remaining ones grew they were put in a pen in the garden and eventually we had new laid eggs for breakfast and a fresh chicken for Christmas dinner. Both my grandmothers kept chickens as well (no foxes about then as I can recall).Next door to us they had two turkeys running around the garden (one of them got out and got run over).The remaining turkey made a lovely Christmas dinner for them.

Yes we had chickens.  Dad got the chicks from Haircuts, and we had the eggs, and bartered them for other things as well.  Then they lost thir heads at Christmas.  I remember sitting in the hen hutch talking to the hens, and then letting them out in the garden just as Mum had put them away, she wasn't impressed!

Where we are now we could have chickens, but there are foxes, and as I just love all things furry I couldn't bring myself to hurt the foxes, so we don't have chickens, although the dogs did mention that they would 'take care' of the chickens if we had them.

We go to our local Bakers Delight after they close on Saturdays, and gather up all the leftover bread and take it to a couple of ole peoples homes (Subsidised places, not those grand retirement villages) and if we have any other we give it to Rob across the way for his chickens, and he gives us eggs.  I do like the barter systems (don't tell the tax man) we have someone who works in the Golden West Egg factory, and we get large eggs, sometimes three yokers, really cheap, because they cannot sell them.  We also know someone who works for Dosonga (Hamms and stuff) and we get cheap ham and bacon in return for Pete doing odd carpentry jobs for them. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:47 AM »
We have just bought  two new chickens - wanted point-of-lay but they need a few more weeks.  Two is enough for us as long as they are good layers and this breed seem to be.  We kept them in the run for a week and let them have their first taste of the great outdoors yesterday.  They have been known as Twit and Twerp but now they are settling down and are showing their personalities and responding to my, "Hey chooky chook chook", they have been renamed Blanche and Harriet.  Very posh, eh?

Has anyone else noticed how shop bought eggs (even the free range ones which are horribly expensive but I feel obliged to avoid the battery reared ones) taste of fish?

We  have rabbits of the free-range variety (although far less than when we moved here and the paddocks were a moving mass of grey) but these days they are more likely to be doggy food that human rabbit pie.  That's when Syd can shoot straight.

A few years ago, I forgot to lock the four chooks up for the night and, yep, the foxes got them. I felt terrible, absolutely terrible.

Chris, I think we've mentioned your having a connection to Sittingbourne before. Did we establish we haven't found a family connection?  My grandparents came from that area. 

Bren

christine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »
Bren - Can't remember having mentioned the Sittingbourne connection but we have been writing for several years now so I expect somewhere it might have come up.  Stuart's family all came from Sittingbourne - usual thing - grandmothers in service, grandfathers working at whatever they were good at.  Did manage to get back on both sides of his family to the mid nineteen hundreds purely looking at the old census records on line and found a few farming people but the really interesting one was a great great great grandfather who was a Master Mariner of a 3 masted ship called the "Northern Light" but can't find anything about the ship without going to Lloyds Register and spending money. There was a famous Northern Light which apparently held the record for crossing the Atlantic many years ago but don't think this was the same as GGGF's ship.   We do have a model of it though somewhere in the loft which hasn't seen the light of day for many years.  Just a further thought - and going completely off the subject of chickens and all things furry - has anybody out there found out anything of interest about ancestors - would love to know.  I know I had a great aunt who went to Oz in the early 20th century and set up home in Parramatta which, I believe, was the first penal colony way back.

Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »
My grandmother was in service in one of the 'big houses' in or around Sittingbourne. Then she met and married my grandfather and exchanged the life of a skivvy for the life of a constantly pregnant skivvy - and a knocked about one as well being a knocked up one, if you'll pardon the expression.

Re: the ancestors. I've been lucky enough to make contact with a 5th cousin who has done a lot of research and has gone back to 1649 with our common ancestor.  Considering I knew almost nothing farther back than my father's generation, I can hardly believe all I know now.

Have recently discovered some cousins-not-so-far-removed who are quite prestigious in the music world.  Still can't find the alleged connection (by marriage in my father's side of the family) to Henry Hall.  No-one else seems to have heard of it but I can't believe I've dreamed that one up.

Chris, have you tried BG forums to see if anyone has the wherewithal to look up details of that ship?  Might be worth a try.  People who are paying members of various things look up an enormous amount of stuff for people with genealogical queries.  Doesn't cost anything to join the forum.  I've had a fair bit of help from them.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »
Chris would you hold a seance and ask G.G.G. aunt if she knew of one HARRY( Henry ) Linihan who landed in Parramatta about the same time as her. Naughty man was my Grandfathers Brother  who "Disappeared" in China during an Earthquake He did have family in Portsmouth and then was discovered alive and well (and "Married) by my Mothers cousin in Aus. , her cousins maiden  name was Rollins,or Rawlings I'm not sure which.
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »
Chris would you hold a seance and ask G.G.G. aunt if she knew of one HARRY( Henry ) Linihan who landed in Parramatta about the same time as her. Naughty man was my Grandfathers Brother  who "Disappeared" in China during an Earthquake He did have family in Portsmouth and then was discovered alive and well (and "Married) by my Mothers cousin in Aus. , her cousins maiden  name was Rollins,or Rawlings I'm not sure which.

This story bears a strong resemblance to my Uncle Harry.  He was arrested in China with a group of mates for cutting of a Chinamans pigtail.  Apparently his mates were executed, don't know why he wasn't.  He then travelled to Australia, but became stuck here during the General Strike, and 'disappeared' until my Granmother found him through the Red Cross and sent his wife and children over to join him.  She had become fed up with keeping them.  The wife had to work her passage, and her eldest Daughter, my cousin Lily had to look after her siblings on the boat (she was 7 years old at the time).  When they arrived, the children were put into an orphanage for 2 years, and my Aunt and Uncle would collect them one at a time as they could afford to look after them.  Lily being the eldest was last, and she was devistated to find her siblings missing and no explanation why.  She never forgave her parents.  But she lived to be 90 and I met her when we visited Victoria some years back, she lived in Moe (strange place I hear).  Life was different then, and things happened in families that we will never understand. 
Born 1944 in Geraint Road.  Launcelot and Churchdown Schools.  Moved to Western Australia in 1988.
Two children, 6 grandchildren, 3 dogs, hundreds of snakes, spiders and lizards.

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 09:53:59 PM »
Strange similarities , Harry did return to London in 1924 for a short period, and he picked me up a threw me above his head, my response I was told was whilst airborne I defecated ................oh dear ! I do know there are "Linihan" s living in the Parramatta area to date        dickie..................
Tristram Rd.,  M.N, RN. FAA. RFA,s  from 1941 to 1971  retired ex-MOD(Navy) , Moved to Downham in 1927 .! Travelled a bit With long spells ashore in USA, Malta, Southern India, Japan, NZ and OZ also attatched to Aus Navy ( HMAS Sydney)

Dickie eagle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 11:07:29 PM »
Hi! I am back. and Brenda you could have corrected me on the subject of Harry linihan Plum. It was not Parramatta but Ballaratt,ad my Harry (Great uncle)was the second oldest of four children, the others being Alfred J a sailmaker in the Royal Marines,born 1875. Henry W born 1876. Richard Joseph born 1872 . and sister Louisa Mary born 1873. somehow I think he "Harry" was a little too old to be our friends uncle as he would  have been  132 tears old by now ! ! !           dickie.....................